They are out to get us (not)

robblok

Just now, cyril sneer said:

what do you do for fun?

Go out with GF, do some fishing, workout a bit in a gym , play some computer games in VR. Do some trekking when national parks are open, go diving when I am in the south of Thailand.

Just standard things no bar scene for me. Got bored of it quite quickly when i came here 15 years ago. I was 30 then. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

I work behind a computer.. so i have time to do such things. Thing is people are constantly moaning about how Thais are out to get them. So i post about a non event to balance things a bit out. Same as why i reply in topics where foreigners are the bad guy. Balance this forum out a bit give some counterweight to the vinegar pissing guys on the forum. 

Although I do agree with your post I have to say the world needs us vinegar pissing guys too ????.

• Haha 2

I drive a lot in Thailand. 

In my first month I was hit three times by different people. One a scooter driver. one a pick up driver and one woman in a sedan.

I had to go to police each time. The last time, the woman, was not my fault, she rammed me from behind. Neither police nor woman tried anything with me, was let go after showing licence, both German and International.

Same with Pick up driver. With the scooter guy I'd just changed lane so he claimed it was my fault. Even though it wasn't, he was speeding and changing lane is not a crime, I had to accept blame. Was not an issue because insurance covered everything.

I never got the feeling police were anything other than disinterested, never was asked for a bribe.

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

I work behind a computer.. so i have time to do such things. Thing is people are constantly moaning about how Thais are out to get them. So i post about a non event to balance things a bit out. Same as why i reply in topics where foreigners are the bad guy. Balance this forum out a bit give some counterweight to the vinegar pissing guys on the forum. 

I understand the intention. But posting about a complete non event and then trying to turn it into a positive makes it look like the bar is set pretty low.

It's like if a colleague came into work and proudly declared that her husband didn't beat her last night, not even a little bit. What would you think of the husband?

The fact that not getting shaken down by corrupt police due to your racial background is something to celebrate doesn't really show the place in a great light IMO, even if that was your intention. It should be a given.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Logosone said:

In my first month I was hit three times by different people. One a scooter driver. one a pick up driver and one woman in a sedan.

I had to go to police each time. The last time, the woman, was not my fault, she rammed me from behind. Neither police nor woman tried anything with me, was let go after showing licence, both German and International.

Same with Pick up driver. With the scooter guy I'd just changed lane so he claimed it was my fault. Even though it wasn't, he was speeding and changing lane is not a crime, I had to accept blame. Was not an issue because insurance covered everything.

I never got the feeling police were anything other than disinterested, never was asked for a bribe.

I think that is the best description of the police yet.. disinterested. Trying to not having to do work.

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I understand the intention. But posting about a complete non event and then trying to turn it into a positive makes it look like the bar is set pretty low.

It's like if a colleague came into work and proudly declared that her husband didn't beat her last night, not even a little bit. What would you think of the husband?

The fact that not getting shaken down by corrupt police due to your racial background is something to celebrate doesn't really show the place in a great light IMO, even if that was your intention. It should be a given.

I get what you mean too, but so many stories about being shaken down and putting Thais down that it is a bit different from your story. Its not as if everyone is constantly saying they got beaten by her husband. 

But yes by highlighting thins it can be turned into a negative. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Although I do agree with your post I have to say the world needs us vinegar pissing guys too ????.

Depends a bit how much, once met up with a older Dutch guy. I mean i quickly told him I was going to leave and did not need to see him again (he wanted to stay in contact). The guy was so negative. Even more so then on the forum. Never saw someone that racist about the Thais while being in Thailand.

Its ok to complain, i have complained too but it depends a bit how. 

I have been stopped many times and sent on my way after the check. No attempts at extortion.

I've been fined twice in Thailand in ten years. Once going the wrong way on a one-way street, 200 baht. Registration on the car had expired, 1000 baht. Both paid on the spot. Would have cost me a lot more in Australia, not to mention license demerit points. Both fines quite justified.

How many countries in the world have police that fine you with a smile on their face, instead of looking like there's a bad smell? I agree with the OP, they are not out to get us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

There's a difference between vinegar and vitriol.

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So, don't read the post & skip the thread if you think it's beneath notice.

24 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You've missed the point despite having it explained to you. Shows the BIB in an acceptable light and he felt the need to do so because TVF posters spread so much paranoid nonsense and imagined victimization to show the BIB in a false light. So he called attention to their continually showing themselves in a bad light.

Got stopped by police 5 times. First time is a ticket. didnt see the checkpoint so I overtook a car, Police thought I was escaping, ticketed me for not using the road assigned for motorcycles. I forgot how much i paid. 

Second was a daylight police robbery. He made up a violation and Keep pointing a wrong way rule on a piece of paper (it has english translations, he was prepared LOL). 200 baht, no receipt, no ticket. 

The 3 times after that are all non-issues. Checked my tax sticker and DL,then told me to eff off.

Edited by alx123

Probably been stopped 50 times at checkpoints.  4 times in one day in Chiang mai.  Always have my stuff never been asked for money.

I am sure it still happens but a lot less with all the cameras, phones, audio recording devices it is much more risky for them.  

Also, they do pool their tickets and at the end of the month divide up the funds collected so that 100 b bribe probably aint worth the hassle.

Edited by bkk6060

This was a non event really, neutral, not positive or negative...., if you didn't have something like a licence or tax and police let you go with a warning,  then should have posted...

Of course if you have everything and nothing is wrong they hard press to extort you, the problem is when they fine you for helmet when 90% of Thai bikers passing by without one, or stop us farangs to check our documents but not those teen Thais going by who for sure not have anything at all...!

Try harder for a positive example...

• Like 1

40 some years ago, I was flagged down at a police booth/checkpoint a few km outside the main town of Loei.  The guy didn't ask for any docs, just wanted to chat with the farang.  So I spent 5 minutes or so telling him all about what I was doing in the boondocks.  Some kid stopped and claimed that my bike was his stolen bike.  Cop completely ignored him.  Then I chatted with a monk who was waiting for a bus.  Turned out that he was acquainted with my buddy who had done the temporary monk thing down in BKK.  Small world. 

9 hours ago, Logosone said:

Few years back I was parked in congested traffic, thai lad on a scooter ran into the back of me at great rate of knots... scoot destroyed and meat wagon lads removed him from the tray of my pickup with many broken bones... police and insurance called and arrived and sorted it.

Next day ended up back at the police station with the lads parents screaming blue murder 'farang at fault and should pay" etc etc etc....policeman basically told em to sling it and go find the coin to pay the hospital bills !!

Edited by Don Mega

On 6/26/2020 at 11:52 AM, cyril sneer said:
On 6/26/2020 at 11:49 AM, NanLaew said:

what do you do for fun?

sit alone in bars

You're never alone when sitting alone in a bar.

Edited by NanLaew
gr

Allow me to summarise as I have some spare time waiting for my meal to arrive at the restaurant. Gf checking fb on phone etc.

If a Thai and a Caucasian both abide by the law, the Causcasian will sometimes (but not always) be treated equally and we can all celebrate these 'equality' occasions with a post on TV about our positive mental energy.

If a Thai and a Causasian both break the law then the Causcasian generally pays more (both officially and via a bribe). If these occasions annoy you, you are a negative person and can leave Thailand any time you want (except maybe now during c19).

Robblok experienced the former and believes this is an excellent example of how Thailand doesn't always discriminate against Caucasians. ????

So let's all celebrate that we might not be discriminated against today due to our racial background. After all, if you cant celebrate that what can you..  Food arrived.. laterz

• Haha 1