Deposit when renting

Ok Im sure this has been done before but why is it like finding a needle in a haystack to find a Condo/apt in Bangkok with only 1 month deposit. It is the lawnow, with a few exceptions. There is no oversight on this. and these thai owner landlords just laugh in your face when you tell them about 1 month deposit law.. What a joke

• Confused 2

It is only law if the have 5 or over properties for rent.

They are only trying to protect themselves,they probably

have had tenants leave their place a <deleted>hole,with unpaid

utility bills,and they would rather not give back 2 months

deposit,than one ????

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 1

I'm renting Idoe 

24 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

and these thai owner landlords just laugh in your face when you tell them about 1 month deposit law.. What a joke

As they should as you are in the wrong.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, robblok said:

An sort of escrow company would be nice. An unbias company that would keep the money and would be fair to both sides. Now both sides are afraid to get shafted as there are bad landlords and bad tenants. 

This is what agents are for, deposits should be held by the agent in a non interest bearing company account. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Henryford said:

Does it matter, you won't get the deposit back anyway.

If your landlord, as many do, refuse to register you with immigration then 100% they are dodging tax on rental income and want to keep it quiet. If they refuse to give back your deposit then follow my way and you will get it all back minus legit expenses. Go to the Office of Consumer Protection at Chaeng Wattanha and explain the problem and ask if they will support your case, or just tell your landlord that they will support it. Then just throw in that there will be 'tax and immigration implications' in a letter to your landlord. It worked a treat for me. Got back 59000 from 66000 tout suite.

Edited by Card
Changed
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, robblok said:

An sort of escrow company would be nice. An unbias company that would keep the money and would be fair to both sides. Now both sides are afraid to get shafted as there are bad landlords and bad tenants. 

that will cost money and went push come to shove,  guess who will the 3rd party go with...

even my own lawyer get "bought" by my ex-wife

12 hours ago, baansgr said:

This is what agents are for, deposits should be held by the agent in a non interest bearing company account. 

Its similar but how bias is an agent he gets his omission from the guy renting out stuff. An escrow would get it from both sides and thus less bias.

1 minute ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

that will cost money and went push come to shove,  guess who will the 3rd party go with...

even my own lawyer get "bought" by my ex-wife

That is if the 3rd party is dependent on the guy renting out stuff if both are paying then he is far more bias and yes it will cost money.

I might be moving and have a nice house, going to live off my gf for a while she has an 80k rent allowance so why not do that. But I don't want to rent out my house out of fear it gets trashed. A one month deposit will just not cover it. I just don't think its worth the hassle just because there are a lot of bad renters its not as one sided as you think. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

That is not always true. I received my Deposit back in cash the day I moved out, after the owner inspected the unit and I returned the card key for the unit and fob for the elevator.

Also got my deposit back after i moved out. Did have to pay some minor things but all reasonable. It really depends who you rent from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Also got my deposit back after i moved out. Did have to pay some minor things but all reasonable. It really depends who you rent from.

Got the money back 3x, didn't get the money back once.

It was the really nice friendly and helpful little old landlady that kept the money (6k).

The landlady from hell gave it all back (7k), as did both guesthouses I stayed at (5k each).

I know better than to stay anywhere that wants a significant deposit.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

these thai owner landlords just laugh in your face when you tell them about 1 month deposit law.. What a joke

Yo Pix... As a landlord and a businessman, the last person I would want to rent to is one who starts telling me the law... With all due respect, they laugh at you because you are the joke... they own the unit and have the last say, and the last thing they want is someone fighting with them abt $$ before moving in.

The landlord dictates the terms.. you can't decide whether or not you will accept them.. you might just as well tell the landlord how much to charge... it is ok to ask - when you "tell them" - - well, they don't really need you to set the terms and do their job... 

And it is your job to find someone who has terms you like... the more limitations you have, the tougher it will be to find.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tf6122 said:

I have always been successful with "negotiating" down to one month deposit on lease signing. But in that process I have also considered the landlord's position to identify a "win/win". The most recent condo rental involved the landlord providing a rent reduction, installation of a washing machine and agreeing to one month security. One my side I offered a longer rental term and rent payments in 6 month advance bundles. I figure this allows both of us to "sleep better", a two way street vs a one way street. I always look for newer buildings with multiple similar units available and vacant, feeling this strengthening my negotiation position and the value of my offer. 

I thought about renting out my house but in the end I doubt the money is worth the hassle. Just too worried it gets trashed. My GF also has a renter (through an agent) but he is the renter from hell. Moved into the unit and all he does is complain. I mean if you move into a unit near a restaurant and you know that then its not strange that you get some smell from the restaurant if you open your windows. Also seems logical that its crowded in a city center. 

17 hours ago, Henryford said:

Does it matter, you won't get the deposit back anyway.

Your usual dose of positivity - must serve you well, no wonder you don't get back the deposit...

I have only rented once - short term, month to month and I paid 2 months deposit - got it all back 9 months later.. 

Again, depend very much on the property and it's contents and furnishing, if it's a very modest unit than 1 month deposit make sense but in a well appointed unit with good furniture white goods and appliances than it's only fair to ask for 3 months and i'm a landlord of such units in Sukhumvit area...

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

We've rented four properties over the years, three from Thais and one from a foreigner, deposits returned promptly each time, and without fuss, when we moved out.

Take photos on the way in and photos on the way out, 3 times got dep back no hassle

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

I doubt if that ever happens in thailand

It's the only way we did as agents bere. Many rentals come from referrals. Landlords obviously want the cash but it's either held or dont list, this is explained in both contracts between tenant and Landlord.

15 hours ago, baansgr said:

And agents that do a bunk with all those deposits aren't exactly unknown either. A few years back there was one high-profile, Pattaya-based 'real estate agency' with an impressive, easy to use website full of up-to-date listings. They stopped forwarding rents collected on behalf of absentee landlords, stopped answering the phone, etc.. Probably have a nice business running in Sihanoukville by now.

Edited by NanLaew