Nazism is well and alive in Thailand

VictorInBKK

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yes, thailand not interest in fighting the ww2. 

So you rolled over and allowed Japan to invade and murder thousands of people from the west and all over south east asia in your country.

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

One week low knowledge. Insult, go back. 

Statements like this are apparently ok for Thai people but if a westerner states the same about their country they are ridiculed as racist. 

Are you racist, Yinn? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thais wear T-shirts with statements on them that would have them arrested in most Western countries. They have no idea what the statements mean. Similarly, they have no idea of the significance of a swastika.

IMO Thais who are aware of anything outside Thailand would be those in certain professions, such as medicine. Because they have to be. However, the bulk of Thais are ignorant of anything outside Thailand, because the education system directs them inwards. Not coincidentally fomenting racism and xenophobia.

I've had culture shock myself, going to places such as South Africa ( apartheid era ), Japan, Spain, America etc. That was nothing compared to the culture shock my Thai GF had when I took her to Australia. Outback Australia.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thais wear T-shirts with statements on them that would have them arrested in most Western countries. They have no idea what the statements mean. Similarly, they have no idea of the significance of a swastika.

OK, what slogans do Thais wear on their T-shirts which would get them arrested in the West ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

OK, what slogans do Thais wear on their T-shirts which would get them arrested in the West ?

Try f$$k you. Not addressed to you personally.

Take a tour of any Night Bazaar, there are plenty of T-shirts with offensive slogans.

Edited by Lacessit

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not true, the orientation and direction of rotation vary, not only in Asia, but also in the German symbolism.

The Nazi flag swastika is at an angle. We have had different experiences, from my experience in Asian countries the swastika 'upright' or upright reverse e.g.

swastika at Palais de la Porte Dorée, Paris

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

No. 

were also 2,000 Thai civilian deaths due to frequent bombings by the Allied Forces 

(U.K. and USA) 

there were 30,000 deaths from German bombs in one night in the UK.  Get real mate, you know nothing and spout rubbish.  The fact is Thailand was a collaborator, as much an enemy to the Allies as the Japanese and the Nazi Germans, maybe  their crime was more cowardly as they try to hide it to this day.  How many died on the Thai Burma railway, or have you and many others conveniently forgotten about that little deal between Japs and Thais? A   lot more than 2,000 I can tell you, actually 14,700 and that is an under estimate. " Thailand has never been occupied", what a joke.  Easy to say when you fall over and play dead without a shot being fired.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing surprising about this. If you asked every person in this part of the world what that symbol meant I bet you would get an incredibly low number knowing it. In the land of the 'Peter Pan' people sadly have little to no knowledge of the world. It's pretty tragic in my opinion and hopefully something that will become corrected over time. 

The classic response you seem to get is, ''This is Thailand so why do we need to know about it'' which is just a shocking indictment to the mindset here. Well, considering it was the biggest war in modern history, it involved huge parts of the world and Thailand actually played a part in it (albeit by being invaded and surrendering to Japan), it is therefore quite an important thing to know about. 

I would be fascinated to know what Thai students study of WW2 at school here, or even if they do study it at all. I guess there are far more important things to be indoctrinated by. Thankfully being a qualified teacher and teaching in a real international school in Bangkok it is great to teach the students about important topics such as WW2. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Try f$$k you. Not addressed to you personally.

Take a tour of any Night Bazaar, there are plenty of T-shirts with offensive slogans.

I saw a guy wearing a T-shirt saying 'Suck my c*ck' in big bold capital letters, with the picture of a hen below the words. Dont think he understood anything.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:27 AM, dimitriv said:

<SNIP>

In the first week I was in Thailand I made 1 conclusion about the Thai population. "You are not going to win a war with Thai people in your army". And that opinion has never changed ????

Should do a bit of research. When Thai forces fought alongside Western military in Korea and Vietnam they gained an excellent reputation as tough and effective fighters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2020 at 7:53 AM, Henryford said:

Wasn't Thailand an ally of the Axis powers during WW2. Maybe they have a different view of Nazism.

they were not, they were collaborates with the Japanese. They like to pretend that they were not, but the facts speak for themselves 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 7:43 AM, ezzra said:

I would for once, like to stop and ask a Thai person who display and uses the swastika signs what their rationale for displaying said signs and whether he/she knows what are the meaning of such signs and see what their answers will be...

What's stopping you, then?

Most are plain ignorant about the meaning. Some vaguely know a bit, but without moral significance etc. Then there are some, usually uni "educated" doing the rebel/non-conformist bit. The first two, never mind, the latter are annoying. Rarely you'll find someone actually into it, ideology and all. There's no historical or emotional baggage attached.

We used to regularly eat at this street place in Bangkok (looks like nothing much, but sends out dishes to the fancy tourist restaurants around). Nice people. There was also a Cambodian couple working there. One night we seat down, and the Cambodian guy got one of them Nazi chic shirts. OK, I was kinda upset but obviously he had no clue. We finished the meal, and then the Mrs. gave him a bit of a history lesson. The man was appalled, made the Cambodia example connection himself.

Not everyone wearing this stuff is out to antagonize, or is even fully aware what's what. It's not part of their history, the education system here ain't much, and there's little context to it.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:50 AM, bestie said:

it's quite irritating for Germans when non-Germans praising Hitler or the Nazi symbols. 

To some Germans, sure. The German Embassy is usually quite active complaining to authorities about it in cases which get more exposure. But now and then one sees Germans who are well into it themselves too.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:01 AM, Odysseus123 said:

So not just warring eh?

I don't believe that the Japanese navy (JMSDF) is warring with anyone at the moment and has not done so since it's creation post WW2.

However back to the main topic-the Thai love bold symbols and colour and I doubt very much that many Thai would give some souped up psuedo Aryan symbol (a la the Hitlerite gang) a second thought.

Oh..the Finns used the symbol too..ssshh...

All in all,I agree with poster "Ying" on this one.

oh yes the Finns did like anyone who did not like the Ruskies ???? ..... But in the end they did see the light.