Facebook will label newsworthy posts that break rules as ad boycott widens

rooster59

I would be pleased to see Face Book go bankrupt. I see little merit in this phenomenon where everybody stares at their phones all day long. In fairness looking at your phone 24/7 in lockdown probably helped to pass the time, but can we not have something more edifying that this narcissistic nonsense?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Then why do terms such as "White Lives Matter" and "It's OK to be White" evoke such vehement reactions and have posts taken down?

Neither of these terms are against any protected class, yet are labelled as hate speech.

I use these merely as examples.

And, of course, it is FAKE NEWS! ????????????????

I just checked on Facebook, there are several whitelivesmatter accounts (WLM movement, WLM official, etc...).  There is also a WLM hashtag on Twitter. So the term WLM is not banned.

If posts have been taken down, there must have been more than WLM written  on them.

Edited by candide
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

what are your thought's on the Cambridge University professor that said 'white lives don't matter' that was defended by the university, and got promoted the following day? 

Her tweet has been deleted by Twitter. Why don't you complain about this free speech restriction by the left wing Twitter?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

i'm talking about the prestigious Cambridge University, not Twitter

Well, it was worth mentioning in a thread where some posters are accusing social media of only deleting right wing posts.

So I guess your post was about her being promoted. In Universities, promotion is a long process that lasts several months. The candidate must submit a file showing his/her achievements, publications, etc... The file is then assessed by external reviewers. A committee meeting is organised months in advance to make the final decision. Two comments can be made. (1) the date of the decision was set independently from the date of the tweet (2) as academic promotions are decided according to academic merit, there is no reason to challenge/delay this decision because of a tweet.

PS I think her tweet was stupid. However, it's usefull to read the full quote: 'll say it again. White Lives Don't Matter. As white lives'

And her explanations: 

She added: 'I would also like to make clear I stand by my tweets, now deleted by Twitter, not me.

'They were very clearly speaking to a structure and ideology, not about people.

'My Tweet said whiteness is not special, not a criterion for making lives matter. I stand by that.'        

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, candide said:

Well, it was worth mentioning in a thread where some posters are accusing social media of only deleting right wing posts.

So I guess your post was about her being promoted. In Universities, promotion is a long process that lasts several months. The candidate must submit a file showing his/her achievements, publications, etc... The file is then assessed by external reviewers. A committee meeting is organised months in advance to make the final decision. Two comments can be made. (1) the date of the decision was set independently from the date of the tweet (2) as academic promotions are decided according to academic merit, there is no reason to challenge/delay this decision because of a tweet.

PS I think her tweet was stupid. However, it's usefull to read the full quote: 'll say it again. White Lives Don't Matter. As white lives'

And her explanations: 

She added: 'I would also like to make clear I stand by my tweets, now deleted by Twitter, not me.

'They were very clearly speaking to a structure and ideology, not about people.

'My Tweet said whiteness is not special, not a criterion for making lives matter. I stand by that.'        

Her explanations are just about what one might expect from an "expert in postcolonial literature".

Edited by Morch
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Let's face it any ad coming from any politician is going to based on lies and should not be shown.

Let's face it, any post coming from some posters is going to based on nonsense and should not be shown.

5 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Stating the obvious here. Saying "black life's matter" is not saying all other life's don't matter. Yes, all life's matter, but to some, some life's do not not seem to matter as much. When some one comes into a discussion about "black life's matter" saying over and over again that "all life's matter", they are trying to negate the point of the first statement by using a fact. I is like when children hold their finger an inch in front of another child and keep repeating "I'm not touching you!, I'm not touching you!"

When the "black lives matter" slogan takes precedence to any other comment not replicating it, then what force the original notion held is diminished. If the only acceptable phrase for discussion and commentary is "black lives matter", then by default, it matters more than others.

19 minutes ago, Morch said:

When the "black lives matter" slogan takes precedence to any other comment not replicating it, then what force the original notion held is diminished. If the only acceptable phrase for discussion and commentary is "black lives matter", then by default, it matters more than others.

No .........no phrase is "the only acceptable phrase for discussion and commentary". Right now events have brought this one to the fore, and you could argue that  "by default, it matters more than others."  At a different time it will be something else that people focus on - such is life.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

No .........no phrase is "the only acceptable phrase for discussion and commentary". Right now events have brought this one to the fore, and you could argue that  "by default, it matters more than others."  At a different time it will be something else that people focus on - such is life.

Currently, and for some time now, it is pretty much the only phrase. Disagreements, challenges, doubts or criticism aren't generally well received. Sure, it will be changed with another flavor, in time. But the same applies - nowadays, whenever there's a "thing", it tends to shut out (almost by default) views that fail to be fully aligned with the narrative.

Such if life? Maybe. But does it matter?

5 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Logical proof please

Just do a search what black lives matter stands for.

Posts like yours show one thing very clearly, the blm message is not coming through.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Just do a search what black lives matter stands for.

Posts like yours show one thing very clearly, the blm message is not coming through.

I have done more than you'll know, in person too. Just like you, they are illogical and that's being polite.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, lupin said:

and what do they deem authoritative sources to correct your wrongthink... CNN?

This seems fairly objective:

"...ads that claim people from groups based on race, religion, sexual orientation or immigration status are a threat to physical safety or health."

15 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I don’t know who those “lefties” are but if you had read the article you would know that it’s Facebook “creating their own definitions for bannable and moderated offenses”. And that’s why big corporates are now pulling their ads, which is good. 

As a shareholder I follow FB and news about it quite avidly. I don't care what Reuters says they have gotten so many things factually wrong and are especially biased when they report corporate or financial news. 

Zuckerberg first said they aren't the arbiter of truth on what is simply a platform. Then Trump made some posts and people got outraged by them. Then the boycott started because Zuckerberg did not want to create definitions and rules. 

He did a sudden about face on that as the boycott went on. Zuckerberg had a pro free speech position when this all began. The stock got hammered last Friday because the market realized they bent Mark over and made him change positions on this. 

The problem for FB is that this could create a rift where as if the left have their way the conservatives leave and ad revenue towards them goes down. Conversely the left could boycott and the same thing. The demand is that FB take a clear side in the cultural divide and that's not good for business. Not that you care but explaining to you how it actually is as your post was misinformed.

FB started off defending the right of people to say what they want and I liked that. However come Monday morning I am out. The thought police having this big of an influence on what was meant to be a platform is a bad omen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Because they claim to be 'platforms' instead of what they really are, which are 'publishers' 

Thats the issue, I recommend you read up on the subject before barfing up your comments without knowing what you're talking about and then having to edit after the fact. 

Zuckerberg was trying to be a platform and remain neutral. However the angry mob cornered him and got out the thumbscrews. Loads of internal pressure from mostly leftists that work there and then the boycott. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1