20 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You must not have tried the small variety of Thai Bananas,Gluay Khai,

only available during the rainy season,they are the only one I eat,

they remind me of the Canary Island bananas you used to get in UK,

until the EU stopped the import as they did not confirm to their standards

of what a banana should look like,they were small bananas that had fantastic

taste.

regards worgeordie

The ones pictured are what I am referring to, the smaller ones about the size of a large finger are delicious, agreed. But not always available as u say.

U can get proper bananas that do have taste, but they are damned expensive, just for something to top ur cornflakes with.

I cook a lot here (always did) and am happy with most things I make.

I agree cheese is a waste of money here, I unfortunately only have the choice of Makro/BigC etc and they are 3 hours from me. I really miss the Cheese Shops from back home in the UK, there was a wonderful one in Edinburgh when I lived there. I'd be happy to pay more for real cheese like Stilton. Never seen it here.

Thai food is far from bland but if I was to eat many of the wifes dishes, I fear I could easily self-combust one day.

The most bland food I had in SE Asia was Cambodian food, was there 5 years and after the first year trying most things decided almost every dish was bland and very similar. Fortunately many good Western places in Siem Reap.

2 hours ago, tifino said:

ah but Kraft Slices goes beyond that...

It is not a cheese 'at all'

try melting it, and the result is as per heating plastics

I would venture so far as to suggest that the Chinese  copied the Kraft Slices formulation

- to make their plastic rice with! 

Yeah it's not really cheese, more like a yellow sticky glue on the burgers served most of those american fast food places.

Was in one of the burger fast food restaurants the other day and they had a special on a whopper with cheese for 109 baht. Asked them if they could leave the cheese off. They replied no, and if I wanted the burger without cheese would have to pay the full price of 195 baht for a plain whopper. Ended up buying the cheese burger and then scraping off the yellow glue adhered to everything.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

I cook a lot here (always did) and am happy with most things I make.

I agree cheese is a waste of money here, I unfortunately only have the choice of Makro/BigC etc and they are 3 hours from me. I really miss the Cheese Shops from back home in the UK, there was a wonderful one in Edinburgh when I lived there. I'd be happy to pay more for real cheese like Stilton. Never seen it here.

Thai food is far from bland but if I was to eat many of the wifes dishes, I fear I could easily self-combust one day.

The most bland food I had in SE Asia was Cambodian food, was there 5 years and after the first year trying most things decided almost every dish was bland and very similar. Fortunately many good Western places in Siem Reap.

As siscussed moat Makro stock Mainland brand tasty,mature & vintage -all excellent cheeses -also other varieties like stilton,brie,camembaert in fact most European favorites however maybe yours does not as they vary according to number of Farang shop there.

4 hours ago, remobb said:

a pack of shredded 3 different cheeses together

What did you expect buying that c#%?

If you want to buy cheese then buy cheese. One cheese = one type of cheese.

And buy it like cheese as a edge or maybe in slices.

If someone asks you. Cheese looks like this:

69712708.cms?width=680&height=512&imgsiz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

You cant beat a nice piece of Stilton and a glass of port

That gets my vote. I can't seem to find Port here, well not good quality and it saddens me greatly.  

5 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

Extra strong mature cheddar style cheese 270 baht a kilo in Udon Thani.

All farang meat shops and a couple bar/restaurants sell it, I’d never buy cheese at makro, big c etc, too expensive.

Mac,

Could you please share some of the shop names or locations in Udon Thani that sell this mature cheddar style?

Anywhere close to the bus station?

Thanks a lot.

14 minutes ago, james.d said:

Mac,

Could you please share some of the shop names or locations in Udon Thani that sell this mature cheddar style?

Anywhere close to the bus station?

Thanks a lot.

Yes mate.

“Cheese to meat you” is on Posri Road Udon Thani. Contact Max, owner of  the Brickhouse on soi Sampan.

“The little Havana bar” is in the Day and Night complex also on soi Sampan. Toni is the bar/ bistro manager.

Both are easy to deal with farangs.  These are just 2 I know of nearest the bus station, there are many more. They also do a large range of all foods farang.

Look them up on Facebook first (think they got prices listed) and give them a ring, ask for a discount if your spending big.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

Yes mate.

“Cheese to meat you” is on Posri Road Udon Thani. Contact Max, owner of  the Brickhouse on soi Sampan.

“The little Havana bar” is in the Day and Night complex also on soi Sampan. Toni is the bar/ bistro manager.

Both are easy to deal with farangs.  These are just 2 I know of nearest the bus station, there are many more. They also do a large range of all foods farang.

Look them up on Facebook first (think they got prices listed) and give them a ring, ask for a discount if your spending big.

Thank you very much Mac.

My wife is flying from UTH back to Bangkok on an afternoon flight so I'll try to organize something

Thanks again, much appreciated.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:03 AM, Pilotman said:

Its unbranded in the shop where I buy it, It is just blocks of Australian or English Cheddar.  'Siamburys' among other outlets

The Aussie cheese from Siambury's goes ok... perfect for me toasted vegemite and cheese snacks !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

yes, love it.  Very tasty 

Hummus on toast.
Tahini on cooled toast with real cocca powder and a tickle of dark brown sugar.
Either served with a decent real coffee.
The hummus and tahini are sometimes available in stores OR IF you have time make your own.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 11:38 AM, ChipButty said:

You cant beat a nice piece of Stilton and a glass of port

I think I can. King Island Blue Brie on water crackers, accompanied by a Booth's shiraz. One of the few things I miss about Australia, along with Gippsland eye fillet and Tassie crayfish.

• Like 1

I have no problems getting the small blocks of Mainland and Bega cheeses at the local Big C. I used to be able to buy the 500g blocks of Australian Cheddar and mature cheese but now the seller does not get the Australian cheddars anymore he only gets the British red cheddar and it is not as nice as the Australian cheddars

On 6/27/2020 at 9:58 AM, userabcd said:

Yes that's the one. Seen it often and have been tempted to buy, luckily I have not bought it.

Thai cheese is tasteless and like rubber. I buy NZ Main Land cheese. It comes in different maturity ranges and is quite tasty.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, Pilotman said:

That gets my vote. I can't seem to find Port here, well not good quality and it saddens me greatly.  

Any luck in Gourmet Market? I've not looked for it personally but that's where I get my good whisky that I can't find anywhere else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Grated cheese will always lose its taste. It has far too much surface area so, if you need some grated cheese, buy a block and get a grater.

You won't regret it.

Make Thailand grate again????

• Like 1

I'm British, so to me that Mainland stuff has almost no flavour, although it has a decent texture. It's not bad for cheese on toast but have to add a few drops of Worcester sauce to jazz it up. If only I could get the proper cave-aged Cheddar (from Cheddar!). 

On 6/27/2020 at 10:37 AM, robblok said:

Parents send me old Dutch Cheese straight from the factory around 5kg. Still expensive but I pay only postage. Lucky me.. havent found better stuff. 

That's right you will not find better cheese . 

Our home land makes the best cheese in the world. Gouda , Edamer cheese.

Mar 9, 2012 - The best cheese is the world is Dutch! They crowned a low-fat Gouda named Vermeer, from Friesland Campina, as champion, which fended off strong competition from traditional winners Switzerland.

https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft:en-US:{referrer:source?}&rlz=1I7TSAU_enAU377AU377&sxsrf=ALeKk00yQWhnwREXd5vF3SY-pJKAWG33-Q:1593431778766&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=cheese+from+holland+the+best+in+the+world&safe=active&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjpoZb5-6bqAhXZdCsKHStaB9UQ7Al6BAgDECY&biw=1583&bih=831

On 6/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, Pilotman said:

This company has stores in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket (maybe others too) and they deliver.

Choose the country of origin (Portugal, obviously) and there's a wide range of price/quality.

Vinum Lector Private Price List May 2020 Update 01-05-2020.pdf

• Thanks 1