Elephant Camps And Mahout Training

almarg3088

While I am on here, can anyone advise if there is an elephant camp close to Chiang Rai that provides a one day mahout course?

I have three eager females who want to give it a go and I need to know which camp and where it is located in relation to Chiang Rai city.

Thanks

Alan

While I am on here, can anyone advise if there is an elephant camp close to Chiang Rai that provides a one day mahout course?

I have three eager females who want to give it a go and I need to know which camp and where it is located in relation to Chiang Rai city.

Thanks

Alan

As far as Chiang Rai is concerned I only know about the elephant camp at Ruammit village but they only offer rides, not mahout courses. Ruammit is west of town on the northern bank of the kok river. One of the most enjoyable ways to get there is by boat, leaving from the northern side of the Mae Fah Luang Bridge, though it is quite easy to drive to also. I've heard of an elephant camp at the Anantara Resort in Chiang Saen but don't know much about it.

There is a course provided at an elehant camp linked to the Anantara Hotel at the Golden Triangle opposite the Hall of Opium museum. If you call or email the hotel they can make a booking for you. It's not cheap (about $70 pp) but you get to sit on the elephant's head for a couple of hours and control the thing by kicking it behind the ears.

Thanks

Alan

Try a visit (with interpreter) to the Karen village on the river.

and they occaisonally whack the poor animals head with a metal hammer. heartless fools.

Fom what I've witnessed over the years, they only use those hammers (with a spike) when elephants are around outsiders. With the obvious dangers involved, sometimes they need a head-klonk to stay right. I don't see them using it cruelly at all...

and they occaisonally whack the poor animals head with a metal hammer. heartless fools.

Fom what I've witnessed over the years, they only use those hammers (with a spike) when elephants are around outsiders. With the obvious dangers involved, sometimes they need a head-klonk to stay right. I don't see them using it cruelly at all...

I know the feeling. I often have to give the misses a good head klonk to stay right, not cruelly at all mind you. :o

That off my chest, I have been able to sit on the elephants head, or neck, where the mahouts sit at ruammit. Since I spoke thai, the mahout gave me some simple commands for the pachy and let me ride where he normally does. I don't think they offer any courses however.