BANGKOK
jackdd

How to keep yourself updated about what happens after July 31st

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

https://twitter.com/richardbarrow

He answers almost all (unasked) questions fast and accurate. I don't know any better reliable source.

I don't regularly read Twitter but what I remember from reading linked tweets of Richard Barrow on this forum he rarely, if ever, has given a link to a text-searchable PDF file of a government to which he refers in a tweet.

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

they might well have no option (particularly if they didn't fulfil the various criteria for annual extensions) other than to make one-way trips back to their home countries and face the music there

This could be seen as a risky tactic for Thailand.  If someone goes home and has to deal with a load of hassle, they may reevaluate their decision to work/study/live in Thailand and shop around a little in the meantime.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

This could be seen as a risky tactic for Thailand.  If someone goes home and has to deal with a load of hassle, they may reevaluate their decision to work/study/live in Thailand and shop around a little in the meantime.

Maybe true in the case of those with no family ties in Thailand. But those who did have such ties might still feel obligated to go through the bureaucratic rigmarole. That said, they could always investigate what hoops would need to be jumped through in order for their Thai families to be relocated to their home countries - in which case it might all boil down to a question of the lesser of 2 evils for them.

Edited by OJAS

Here your update,

amnesty will be extendet 2 more months.... party on tonight 🍺

Thailand very good

Called to a friend of mine at Thai Customs and Immigration... She said that she THINKS it will be extended, that Thai Immigration has made a recommendation to the government that it be extended... but there is no response or order yet... so need to wait and see either next week or the week after (22nd or the 29th).

She also said that if on a non-o visa, and have not had any other extension currently, that coming to immigration before the 31st and can get a 60 day extension... but to wait to see what the government will do first, that there will be an announcement before the 31st one way or the other. So not to worry... just the waiting game

• Like 2

Will they even need a new resolution by the full cabinet once again just to extend the amnesty? Since it has already been decided in principle pending the situation returning to normal (whatever that means!), I would imagine that a new ministerial regulation could be issued by the Minister of the Interior, countersigned by the PM as before. I might be wrong though, I'm not sure if the whole cabinet was involved when the amnesty was extended the first time.

• Like 1