US Tax Returns Due July 15, 2020

You can file the extension.

"E-file Your Extension Form for Free

"Individual tax filers, regardless of income, can use Free File to electronically request an automatic tax-filing extension.

• Filing this form gives you until Oct. 15 to file a return.
  • To get the extension, you must estimate your tax liability on this form and should also pay any amount due."

Source: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/extension-of-time-to-file-your-tax-return

I have had absolutely no luck in locating a site where I can file for an extenstion electronically. I've been to my Turbotax site and the IRS sites but no luck. I can download an extention form pdf and send it but where can I fill out a form online and click it and send it to the IRS  (efile). This shouldn't be difficult. but then it is the IRS. Actually, I tried to file my return electronically with Turbo tax 2 months ago but the IRS wouldn't accept it.

23 hours ago, khaepmu said:

Actually, I tried to file my return electronically with Turbo tax 2 months ago but the IRS wouldn't accept it.

Which means there was a problem with your return.  TurboTax should also tell you what the specific rejection was for and if it's something you can quickly correct and then resubmit via e-file.  Or it may tell you the nature of the rejection will require you to mail-in a paper return. 

If the IRS rejection was not due to some error on your return that you can correct (i.e., some typo you made, info left out, etc), then use of any efiling software/website will result in the IRS rejecting the return.  

image.png.a6e99693336a17f6f4f631c6f5eab17b.png

Thanks you guys for your replies. When I did my 2018 tax return last year (for 2018) I with Turbtax I was able to e-fle but this year I wasn't. You need to include your AGI and I did but it was still rejected. Turbotax suggested that I try to e-file again but use $0 for my AGI. I did but it was still rejected. No big deal. It's just a lot more convenient. I have since downlaoded my return (PDF). When I logged onto turbotax a few days ago to get an extension (e-file) I couldn't follow their instructions. But yesterday I googled 'e-file extension Turbotax' and a Turbotax site appeared with a few questions and then , after logging in, I was able to successfuly e-file my extension request. 

5 hours ago, khaepmu said:

Thanks you guys for your replies. When I did my 2018 tax return last year (for 2018) I with Turbtax I was able to e-fle but this year I wasn't. You need to include your AGI and I did but it was still rejected. Turbotax suggested that I try to e-file again but use $0 for my AGI. I did but it was still rejected. No big deal. It's just a lot more convenient. I have since downlaoded my return (PDF). When I logged onto turbotax a few days ago to get an extension (e-file) I couldn't follow their instructions. But yesterday I googled 'e-file extension Turbotax' and a Turbotax site appeared with a few questions and then , after logging in, I was able to successfuly e-file my extension request. 

Sounds like your efile return was initially being rejected due to identity verification purposes where you needed to correctly enter your previous tax return AGI during the filing steps.  If you don't know your previous year AGI--which you will if you are "really" Mr khaepmu-- then the IRS may reject the return because they figure it may be an identity theft type return....a bad guy submitting a false claim using your identity to get a refund.

Actually. I entered my correct AGI the first time I filed which is why I couldn't understand why the efile  was rejected. Turbotax then suggested I try again but this time submit the efile using $0 for AGI. Anyway, I eventually got the extension. Thanks for your feedback.

As we've said before, the easiest way to get an extension online is to make an online payment of estimated tax for 2019; just a nominal payment of a few dollars will do. You must make sure, though, that you've clicked the right options so it's considered a payment with Form 4868, Request for Automatic Extension, 2019.

See "Get an extension when you make a payment."

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/extension-of-time-to-file-your-tax-return

I am wondering what kind of penalty you might have to incur for filing late.  I know that if you owe the iIRS money and you file late you have to pay interest on what you owe and maybe a late fee. But what if you don't owe anything and you still file late.  A slap on the wrist? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 5:14 AM, khaepmu said:

But what if you don't owe anything and you still file late.  A slap on the wrist? 

No crime, no interest owed (obviously), and no fine. But if you're owed a refund, you'll need to file within 3 years.

"No crime . . ."

"Willful" failure to file a tax return "at the time or times required by law" IS a misdemeanor under 26 U.S.C. Sec. 7203. Prosecutions are very rare though, unless the IRS wants to go after you for other reasons.

37 minutes ago, taxout said:

"Willful" failure to file a tax return "at the time or times required by law" IS a misdemeanor under 26 U.S.C. Sec. 7203.

It's only required by law if you owe taxes.

There is one situation where not filing on time isn’t completely bad news. If you owe $0 (that’s zero dollars) in taxes or if you are owed a refund, you are not required to file your taxes. If you do file late, there is no penalty.

Isn’t that great? Except, if you are owed a refund and don’t file within three years of the associated tax date, the IRS gets to keep it. So you don’t have to rush, but if you want your refund, you might as well do it. At least you have three years, but you won’t get paid any interest.

https://www.toptaxdefenders.com/blog/what-really-happens-if-you-dont-file-your-taxes

Not exactly a Supreme Court ruling -- but good enough for the common man.

"It's only required by law if you owe taxes."

Sorry, that is simply not The Law. You are required to file if you meet the gross income filing requirement, or one of the other filing requirements. In terms of your legal obligation to file, it matters not a whit that there'd be no tax due shown on your return, whether by reason of withholding, the foreign income exclusion, a family of 20 dependents, whatever.

(You're confusing the application of civil penalties and such with criminal liability under Sec. 7203. The section does include an exception of sorts, but the exception only applies to estimated tax payments.)

• Like 1