about face masks

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Virus is spread mainly from droplets. Not only coughing and sneezing. Also talking and even just breathing. Singing, talking loud, and shouting are especially high risk.

It seems you've been listening to Khun Anutin. Do you sleep with your mask on? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Countries that have used masks extensively based on their past experience of battling Corona viruses have controlled the spread of covid 19 infinitely better than those who didnt

"based on their past experience of battling Corona viruses"

What past experience are you referring to? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/27/2020 at 3:19 PM, dastakantattaka said:

Multiple those 0.000001% who need a mask by 2-3 or 5. A difference?

The doctors who are making an effort to keep this thing under control have more information and training than you do.

• Like 1

Talking and breathing spread droplets. Droplets and spit and mucous contain the virus. 

I believe that blood to blood transmission is also possible.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/faq.html

Coughing can project well beyond the 2 metre social distancing guidelines.

Breathing heavily e.g. during exercise increases the droplet amounts per breath, frequency, and distance projected e.g, approximately 2 to 4 metres.

Masks prevent the projection of droplets. Masks (unless extremely well fitted i.e. highest PPE standards) don't stop ALL/MOST moisture coming in to and out of the mouth but I have heard in the 90% percentile range containment is not unreasonable for most reasonably fitted masks and normal breathing and speaking - along with the 2 metre minimum distancing.

Masks work in preventing uptake and transmission.

The facts are very clear on this.

Along with other preventative measures e.g.:

• Regular hand washing and sterilising
  • Social distancing - especially when inside
  • Quarantine if coming from infection zones or showing any symptoms
  • Track and tracing
  • Testing
  • Quarantine hospitalisation for those infected

These rafts of interventions are clearly shown to impact the spread of infection, and to starving the virus of new hosts.

• Like 2

There's been a fair amount of flip-flopping by the WHO and other health authorities on whether masks help or not. However, the consensus now seems to be they do help a lot in preventing an infected person from infecting others, and somewhat in preventing uninfected persons from acquiring the virus.

It's like climate change, some just don't want to listen to the science.

• Like 2

Back in late March the idea was to slow down (Flatten) the curve (wave) so that the medical system can tool up for the greater number of Covid-19 cases. OK, check that one off; now lets get on with the 2nd and subsequent waves, we are prepared.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Back in late March the idea was to slow down (Flatten) the curve (wave) so that the medical system can tool up for the greater number of Covid-19 cases. OK, check that one off; now lets get on with the 2nd and subsequent waves, we are prepared.

Only half of the US states went through the first wave - New York did, but they still get around 1000 cases a day, which puts them at great risk of a second wave if restrictions are eased. Texas, California, Florida, are just getting going into their first wave and could have New York style numbers over the next two weeks - their lockdowns will have come too late as the virus is firmly embedded in the public now. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Exactly that.... 

Flatten the curve, prevent the health services from being overwhelmed. Objectives met. 

Objectives in Thailand seem to be to eradicate the virus, while ‘other countries’ seem to be implementing ‘herd immunity’

When Thailand does open up, if the Covid-19 has not already spread through the nation (it may have already done with most of the people being asymptotic (not sure though), it could be that Thailand is impacted more severely by a second wave they cannot stop, unless of course it remains locked down. 

Thus: how long does Thailand want to lock down?? - The wearing of facemarks etc is here to stay. 

Look at Japan, they’ve been wearing face masks in public of a while now (not all, but a lot of them). 

In many countries we may see requests and even requirements to wear face-masks on all Public transport or when in busy areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

What's the big deal about wearing a mask, anyway? The only problem I have with masks is that they cover up all the pretties. Don't you have any better fights to fight?!? 

Switch your focus, and it's not a problem. Legs and butts, that's the ticket.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ExpatOne said:
On 6/27/2020 at 9:19 AM, dastakantattaka said:

Multiple those 0.000001% who need a mask by 2-3 or 5. A difference?

The doctors who are making an effort to keep this thing under control have more information and training than you do.

Woooooo !!!! Get that dastakantattaka.... You are not allowed to have an opinion because ExpatOne says so...

BTW, ExpatOne, are those Doctors who have more information and training the one’s who either work for or advise the WHO who couldn’t get their ducks in a row regarding wearing masks... ‘wearing masks was unnecessary’, then ‘wearing masks was necessary’.....  For something so simple even they [the WHO] didn’t know which way to turn. 

I for one am of the belief that wearing masks helps prevent the spread of any virus which becomes aerosolised in the respiratory tract. 

Placing the mask wear into perspective, it's obvious that regularly washing and sanitising the hands is the most effective tool we have.

I just want to point out that people don’t only sneeze and cough because they are symptomatic of a respiratory illness.

Example: The average healthy person coughs between 1 and 34 times per day. [https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8758131/]

How many of you ’sneeze’ just for looking in the direction of the sun !!!! ???

Perfectly healthy people cough and sneeze when an airborne irritant enters our body (or when we look at a bright light).

Thus: If we are asymptomatic we still regularly cough and invariably sneeze - thats the whole point of wearing the mask. 

Ultimately: We should be wearing a mask when on public transport anyway.

It should also be the cultural norm to wear a mask if we are starting to show symptoms of a cold or flu etc anyway (as in Japan).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

What's the big deal about wearing a mask, anyway? The only problem I have with masks is that they cover up all the pretties. Don't you have any better fights to fight?!? 

Totally uncomfortable, makes me sweat, the re-breathing of CO2 makes me panic, it fogs up my glasses.. you want me to go on?

The idea that they'll request school kids to wear one full time saddens me, to the extent that I am looking for a home teacher.

Imposing widespread use of mask demonstrates that there is absolutely no control of the epidemic (yet?), logically below a given Rzero value the benefits of wearing a mask will be outweighed by the damage they cause. But no one seems to be able to quantify anything in this situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"based on their past experience of battling Corona viruses"

What past experience are you referring to? 

Oh dear.. you don't even know that and you want to not wear a mask. Talk about being uninformed. 

Sars is also a corona virus and has been battled in the past by asian countries. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Woooooo !!!! Get that dastakantattaka.... You are not allowed to have an opinion because ExpatOne says so...

BTW, ExpatOne, are those Doctors who have more information and training the one’s who either work for or advise the WHO who couldn’t get their ducks in a row regarding wearing masks... ‘wearing masks was unnecessary’, then ‘wearing masks was necessary’.....  For something so simple even they [the WHO] didn’t know which way to turn. 

I for one am of the belief that wearing masks helps prevent the spread of any virus which becomes aerosolised in the respiratory tract. 

Placing the mask wear into perspective, it's obvious that regularly washing and sanitising the hands is the most effective tool we have.

I just want to point out that people don’t only sneeze and cough because they are symptomatic of a respiratory illness.

Example: The average healthy person coughs between 1 and 34 times per day. [https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8758131/]

How many of you ’sneeze’ just for looking in the direction of the sun !!!! ???

Perfectly healthy people cough and sneeze when an airborne irritant enters our body (or when we look at a bright light).

Thus: If we are asymptomatic we still regularly cough and invariably sneeze - thats the whole point of wearing the mask. 

Ultimately: We should be wearing a mask when on public transport anyway.

It should also be the cultural norm to wear a mask if we are starting to show symptoms of a cold or flu etc anyway (as in Japan).

Its quite clear that wearing a mask helps for the reasons you gave. Its more about the spread then preventing you to get it. So people who wear masks help other people.

So far its mainly selfish rebels (seems to be a lot of those in the US and Europe) who don't want to wear them. I see a lot of them on this forum too. I wear a mask to protect others just in case I am infected.  

I don't worry to much about getting infected myself, healthy in shape good immune system. Not obese so ill be ok if i get it. But i would hate to infect friends of family. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Totally uncomfortable, makes me sweat, the re-breathing of CO2 makes me panic, it fogs up my glasses.. you want me to go on?

The idea that they'll request school kids to wear one full time saddens me, to the extent that I am looking for a home teacher.

Imposing widespread use of mask demonstrates that there is absolutely no control of the epidemic (yet?), logically below a given Rzero value the benefits of wearing a mask will be outweighed by the damage they cause. But no one seems to be able to quantify anything in this situation.

Same here - Uncomfortable, makes me sweat, fogs up glasses....  erm - thats it isn’t it ?

Compromising your child’s education with home-schooling is somewhat of an over reaction don’t you think ?

R-Zero = No spread. 

R1 - One person spreads Covid-19 to one other - after 3 weeks 21 people have been infected. 

R1.1 - One person spreads Covid-19 to 1.1 others - after 3 weeks 64 people have been infected. 

R1.2 - after 3 weeks 225 people have been infected.

R1.3 - after 3 weeks 820 people have been infected.

R1.4 - after 3 weeks 2926 people have been infected.

R1.5 - after 3 weeks 9974 people have been infected.

R2.0 - after 3 weeks 2,097,151 people have been infected.

Anything above an R1 is exponential increase in cases. Look at the R2.0 case.... Thats one person spreads Covid-19 to 2 others (each day). 

Imagine School Kids - Social Isolation is pretty much for children. IF there is one case, would it just spread to 2 children or would it spread like wild-fire throughout the whole class?

Masks may help that one asymptomatic child from spreading the virus to his classmates.

Of course, this is only necessary if there are cases of Covid-19 prevalent in society. 

Currently, Thailand has no new cases and hasn’t had new cases for a few week - No need to wear masks then right?...  Or is the advise to continue wearing mask because someone in the government is not drinking their own cool-aid and doesn’t believe that there are no cases of Covid-19 in the 99.3% of the Thai population which hasn’t been tested !!!!!! 

• Thanks 1