Beware of passport snatching delivery guys

DrTuner

5 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

The "requirements " to live by Thai "rules" just get more punitive and inane. I once recommended wearing boots to maneuver the bs...moving to chest high waders...good luck!

Of course!

Isn't it obvious to anyone with a brain?  The Thais make a sport of making each other miserable.

"MISERY LOVES COMPANY."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmm. Never heard of this.

That is quite the accusation you are making.

Interesting, what did the OP order?  Maybe he has been flagged for some reason?

I have never been asked for my passport upon delivery.

To actually confiscate a passport sounds pretty serious.

I would think a followup with DHL should be persued.

Let is know.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Interesting, what did the OP order? 

Kärcher cleaner bottles, it's a special click-and-go thingy for a high pressure washer. Thai customs must think it's liquid plutonium. The first thing that got stuck in the same way was an IR temperature meter - same things you now see everywhere. 

This is a new development, I've ordered many items delivered by DHL before and a scanned copy of the passport via email was enough. Now they require the actual passport.

If I ever order again, I'll put in in wife's name. Thai ID cards are easy to replace when lost by a hapless delivery guy.

Edited by DrTuner

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thai DL is ID too, my passport only goes over a Immigration desk or a Bank counter never to anyone else, exception is passport renewal via EMS.

DHL specifically asks for copy of passport, including the last entry stamp.

image.png.d1fcf2ccf79d0beaddef85a2e5e7627e.png

Amazon provided DHL with a very clean waybill, yet they also require it in Thai. Yes, it's getting ridicilous. They did accept it in English though.

This has only happened with Amazon UK. If I put my tinfoil hat on, I'd suspect Lazada or some other competitor is causing trouble.

BTW it looked like the passport snatcher had a few successes as there was a pile of DHL envelopes on the passenger seat he was getting the envelope from. Good luck to those that gave them.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stadtler said:

Stadtler only hands his passport to bank tellers and immigration.  Stadtler won't give his passport to a hotel clerk.  Stadtler makes copies of his passport and gives them the copies while showing them the passport but not putting into their grubby little hands.  Stadtler would never let anyone "hold" his passport for any reason.

Stadtler sounds like a very sensible bloke in this respect ... ????

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

DHL specifically asks for copy of passport, including the last entry stamp.

image.png.d1fcf2ccf79d0beaddef85a2e5e7627e.png

Amazon provided DHL with a very clean waybill, yet they also require it in Thai. Yes, it's getting ridicilous. They did accept it in English though.

This has only happened with Amazon UK. If I put my tinfoil hat on, I'd suspect Lazada or some other competitor is causing trouble.

If that's the case quite frankly I wouldn't use DHL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

If that's the case quite frankly I wouldn't use DHL.

Didn't have a choice. That's an Amazon Prime delivery and they selected the carrier. Yes, I will be complaining to Amazon as well.

BTW the delivery costs were more than the goods. But since it's a special item I can't find here I ordered it.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Scary stuff, second only to two Thai women standing on either side of me at an ATM!!!

I know. I'll probably end up on Pattaya One frontpage with a headline screaming "MAN WANTS TO CLEAN DRIVEWAY - GETS HIS IDENTITY STOLEN".

13 years. That's how long I've dealed with this BS. Kasikorn clerks asking for ATM pin. True clerk wanting me to open my phone screen lock for her. People running who knows where with my passport at Changwattana. My cup runneth over. Open the bloody border so I can get out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kralledr said:

Not be paranoid dude, i have send them my passport a few times by now, and always got it Back in under 3 days.

I had my passport stolen once. That was in the Schengen area and the effort to get a new one was still formidable (police reports, a report from Interpol because it was stolen in a third country, a written statement at the consulate and of course money). It would be a nightmare here with the elite visa attached. 

Not to mention it's a legal obligation to be able to present the passport in Thailand when asked by f.ex. immigration police. And yes they have popped by out of the blue at the house and asked before.

Over my dead body. But hey up to you.

• Like 1

Reported issue to Amazon and they refunded immediately. Can't fault their services. They also mentioned they'll take it up with DHL.

Also complained to DHL directly. It is unacceptable to try to get somebody's passport without asking for consent. 

For those that get a passport snatcher at the door, just say no. Otherwise they'll get the bright idea of it being ok to do so.

Edited by DrTuner

DHL answered to the complaint, apologized and mentioned they will take it up with their people to make sure recipients are informed of the need to present the original passport.

It's a small improvement but also means I will not be ordering anything under my name anymore, as the closest customs office is 30km away. This is a new requirement from Thai customs that makes life here yet more unpleasant.

Amazon already refunded, so the damage was high blood pressure and confirmation of a country going down the toilet.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2020 at 3:32 AM, A1Str8 said:

It's actually easy to get another one. You simply go to the embassy. 

On the other side, if you just asked him nicely to give it back, he would. 

It is not easy to get a new passport - you have to go to the police and to the embassy and it is a lot of hassle. You also need all things from the Thai immigration again. You will be busy for a while. 

• Like 1

Just now, Oldie said:

It is not easy to get a new passport - you have to go to the police and to the embassy and it is a lot of hassle. You also need all things from the Thai immigration again. You will be busy for a while. 

And updating all banks and other places where you have KYC'd. Days of work.