Scotch Bonnnet leaves falling off

17 hours ago, Guderian said:

I'm pretty sure there is something nasty in the soil here, as I mentioned earlier some things grow happily in the ground while others just die. I'm very fond of these yellow and green crotons:

yellow-green-leaves-croton-yellow-green-

but I've never been able to grow them here, they just die no matter how healthy they are when I buy them, and in spite of having a great display for years when I lived in West Africa.

Having said that, though, the Scotch Bonnet plants are still in pots which were filled with the bagged earth (20 Baht/bag) you can buy at the garden shops. Unless the pathogen in my soil can somehow find its way out of the ground and into the plant pots then that's not the cause of this problem. Or is the bagged dirt you can buy full of pathogens too?

Ah, OK, I missed that. I have been told that the bagged dirt you can buy is exhausted mushroom compost, so it is entirely possible that you need to add not only the basic NPK but also the micro-elements such as iron, magnesium etc. I bought some stuff on Lazada, 

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i227599906-s347985604.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.0.0.1a6e3824hNl3sR&urlFlag=true

Edited by cooked

I'm sure now it was overwatering that caused the problem. I've only watered them once in the last week to get the soil to dry out and the leaves have stopped turning yellow. It was obvious if I'd been paying attention. Two pots have a single chilli plant and they were faring the worst. Two other pots have three plants each in them, and they weren't doing anything like as badly. I was giving all the pots roughly the same amount of water every day, but three plants will drink far more water than one, so the soil would be dryer. That explains why the multi-plant pots did better than the single plants. I'm also giving them a 0.75% urea solution once a week as fertiliser which doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.

• Like 1

The lower leaves in the picture are showing signs of Magnessium Deficiency, chlorotic spots that go necrotic. Yellow spots which die, hence the brown colour.

Now this could be caused by your water regime but there seems no other deficiency to be seen, so it could be lacking in your soil. Chillies are known for there need for Magnessium

Magnessium can be bought from Lazada, then sprayed on the plants for a quick response and then added to the water when watering.

The lower leaves won't recover and will drop off.

Be careful adding to much Nitrogen, this can hinder the uptake of other nutrients if it's to high, plus you end up with a plant that's all leaves and little fruit.

As the plants progress extra Potassium as well will help produce more fruit on the plants.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dasboot said:

The lower leaves in the picture are showing signs of Magnessium Deficiency, chlorotic spots that go necrotic. Yellow spots which die, hence the brown colour.

Now this could be caused by your water regime but there seems no other deficiency to be seen, so it could be lacking in your soil. Chillies are known for there need for Magnessium

Magnessium can be bought from Lazada, then sprayed on the plants for a quick response and then added to the water when watering.

The lower leaves won't recover and will drop off.

Be careful adding to much Nitrogen, this can hinder the uptake of other nutrients if it's to high, plus you end up with a plant that's all leaves and little fruit.

As the plants progress extra Potassium as well will help produce more fruit on the plants.

I just gave them their first feed with 15-15-15 fertiliser, I don't think there's any magnesium in that is there, but some potassium.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

I just gave them their first feed with 15-15-15 fertiliser, I don't think there's any magnesium in that is there, but some potassium.

That is the K in the NPK, yeap, you got some. The issue is which salt did you get O or Cl? Thats on the bag

My chilies look as bad or worse lol

Using this site as a guide, the recommended NPK is 10-10-10.  I haven't found that specific one but probably better than nothing.  I've only found NPK 10-4-36 in organic form here via lazada. 

That said, up till now I've amended the store-bought soil from bags with compost, sand, coffee, (low ph in my soil) banana peels, coconut shells, eggshells (calcium) and OD-EM and my growth is pathetic with every chili I've tried from jalapenos to ghosts to reapers to habeneros. 

One Thai chili growing group told me to get them out of the sun as it's too hot here, so they're in the shade for past few days.  Mine were getting 3 hrs or so a day of sun.  I live in BKK.

Another thought is making new soils as per this video.  I just use lazada for searches for products as it'd be a waste of time searching nurseries here for what you need. 

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

On 7/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, emanphoto said:

Using this site as a guide, the recommended NPK is 10-10-10.  I haven't found that specific one but probably better than nothing.  I've only found NPK 10-4-36 in organic form here via lazada. 

That said, up till now I've amended the store-bought soil from bags with compost, sand, coffee, (low ph in my soil) banana peels, coconut shells, eggshells (calcium) and OD-EM and my growth is pathetic with every chili I've tried from jalapenos to ghosts to reapers to habeneros. 

One Thai chili growing group told me to get them out of the sun as it's too hot here, so they're in the shade for past few days.  Mine were getting 3 hrs or so a day of sun.  I live in BKK.

Another thought is making new soils as per this video.  I just use lazada for searches for products as it'd be a waste of time searching nurseries here for what you need. 

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

Hell! What are you doing? ???? 

I have never grown any chillis at all, actually nothing in 10 years that I have lived here until I decided to grow some jalapeño at the end of the dry season.

im pretty proud of these, just some seeds and fertilizer from lazada, some homemade photosynthetic fertilizer, bags of mud and rice husk. I’m also growing in big plastic bags, they are way cheaper than pots.

It would have been better but the water tank sprang a leak and overwatered a lot of plants.

im really confused by a lot of comments in this and other threads, looks like I’m doing something right, god only knows what tho’

0ADE27D8-42E9-45B6-959D-3F65798767E2.jpeg

794FD7BF-5F7E-49AE-8685-0868BDBBAE22.jpeg

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, emanphoto said:

Yeah, they do look dismal, maybe one of the things you're mixing into the soil is something they don't like? Perhaps one of the experts here can comment.

Since most of the chilies are indiginous to the tropics, at least as far as I'm aware, it's a bit silly for them to say that the sun here is too hot. My Scotch Bonnets came from Jamaica and the sun there's every bit as hot as it is in Thailand, lol. What I did notice, though, was that the plants couldn't tolerate much direct sun when they were very small. Once they'd established themselves they seemed pretty happy basking in the sunshine all day, which was one reason I was overwatering them.

Anyway, I've replanted them in much larger pots, still using the 20 Baht bags of soil from the garden shop, and seriously reduced the watering. The instructions on the 15-15-15 fertiliser say to apply it once every 15 to 30 days, so I'm doing it every 15 days with some pure urea in between the 15-15-15 feeds. I'll also mix some of the NPK with water and spray it on the leaves as an experiment. The plants are looking much better now, apart from being a bit leggy where they lost the lower leaves. Interestingly, on one of the plants there are new leaves growing where the old ones fell off. I keep them under the eaves of my house to keep the rain off at night and when it's wet, and when the sun's out I stick them in the full sunshine. A bit of a fuss, I know, but what else can I do when they seem to be so sensitive to too much H2O?

IMG_20200718_153627.thumb.jpg.8340ac6c234d851cdc4e7757c682c70e.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Royal project is selling fertilizer for hydroponics. 

It can be used with regular soil too. Just be careful to not overdose..

The good thing about hydroponic fertilizer is that it contains everything.. all the different nutrients...

150 baht for 1 liter.. it's gonna last years..

• Like 1