SURVEY: High end tourists—good idea or a flop?

Scott

SURVEY: High end tourists—good idea or a flop?  

397 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The government is making a push to attract high end tourists, presumably at the expense of backpackers and other less affluent travelers.   In your opinion, is this a worthwhile endeavor?   Do you think it will succeed?   Please chose the option that best fits your opinion.

Please feel free to leave a comment.

For further reading:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1169754-hoteliers-push-back-at-thailand’s-shift-to-target-high-end-tourists/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1170138-thailand sees-60-slump-in-january-may-tourist-arrivals-spending/

• Sad 1

You ask the low end.. what answer do you expect?   Encouraging the 'high end' is just an operner isn't it?  I wouldn't think there would be too many backpackers with the $$ or ability to come for some time anyway...

• Sad 2

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Does anybody know how many of the tourist from i.e. last year would qualify as high-end-tourist? 10%? 1%?

I understand that Thailand wants these people, and I think Thailand should try to get them. But they alone won't resurrect the tourist business.

What would help with tourists is well known: Be nice to tourists, don't have double price policy, don't have lots of taxi, gems, jet-ski and whatever scammers. Don't have TukTuk drivers who want a fortune for a trip around the corner, etc. The list is long and well known. The authorities could do a lot to address these well knows problems - if they wanted to do that...

The only high end tourists ive seen in Pattaya arrive by car from Bangkok !!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

The only high end tourists ive seen in Pattaya arrive by car from Bangkok !!

I read somewhere about that service from a bar in Pattaya that they pick up guys from the airport in a mini-van. It's up to them how many service girls should be in that mini-van for that long trip to Pattaya...

• Haha 1

So called "high end tourists" may not be allowed to leave there own borders for pleasure travel for some time into the foreseeable future.

Placing your economic survival in that market could be seen as a little concerning financially.

This is a time for the industry to invest in training, hygiene, and "languages" for those in the industry.

This is time for Thailand to invest in the industry, and to stimulate the economy prior to international borders reopening. 

You can have the business travelers to hone the skills on, before opening to tourists at about 50% because the countries who have supplied the tourists are also suffering financially because of job losses.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does anybody know how many of the tourist from i.e. last year would qualify as high-end-tourist? 10%? 1%?

I understand that Thailand wants these people, and I think Thailand should try to get them. But they alone won't resurrect the tourist business.

What would help with tourists is well known: Be nice to tourists, don't have double price policy, don't have lots of taxi, gems, jet-ski and whatever scammers. Don't have TukTuk drivers who want a fortune for a trip around the corner, etc. The list is long and well known. The authorities could do a lot to address these well knows problems - if they wanted to do that...

High end tourists only take a tuk-tuk once or twice, too damn smelly and noisy and uncomfortable

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read somewhere about that service from a bar in Pattaya that they pick up guys from the airport in a mini-van. It's up to them how many service girls should be in that mini-van for that long trip to Pattaya...

Yeah devils den, cost including refreshments and 2 ladies is Bt.16,500 !!

• Like 1