BANGKOK
Scott

SURVEY: High end tourists—good idea or a flop?

SURVEY: High end tourists—good idea or a flop?  

397 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Too be quite honest, I have never, EVER seen a decent wealthy western family walking down beach road. 

Now people can see how decent and wealthy people are just by looking, when did that happen!

I was looking for a famous picture of Jimmy Page walking down Beach Road but couldn't find it, Jimmy's got a few hundred million:

image.jpeg.aad1e76957e28064f9a80e20892344ee.jpegimage.jpeg.aad1e76957e28064f9a80e20892344ee.jpeg

http://www.pattayamail.co.th/895/features.shtml

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Yes, jomtien, naklua etc, but pattaya central does not attract a decent family oriented crowd. Who wants to bring their family to this environment, hooker capital of the world? Rift raft, lowlifes? Never seen a decent family having dinner in LK metro, walking thru the hookers on beach road , maybe once, but never to return. Phuket, Samuel, hau hin, yes, pattaya? I don't know where u come from, but certainly not the families I know. The new beach is quite nice I will admit, thumbs up to that. Too bad the water is putrid. Too be quite honest, I have never, EVER seen a decent wealthy western family walking down beach road. 

Your post reminds me of another post I got telling me that there are other places families can go on holiday that have nicer beaches than Pattaya.  I responded with the post below, which I will repost.  I will say that the northern part of Pattaya Beach has gotten much nicer in the past few years with the new Amari addition, the new Mytt Hotel with a large rooftop ballroom, Terminal 21, the new Ozo Hotel, and the new large Beach Quarters restaurant.  A number of the older establishments have done remodeling and that is still going on.  Pattaya does have an adult entertainment side but families can have a nice holiday away from those areas.  My other post on this topic:

Well, Pattaya Beach is looking pretty darn good right now--pity you can't see it in person and judge for yourself.  Hope you saw the gorgeous photos of it on another post awhile back.  But, I think you are missing the point a bit.  It's not just about the beach for lots of families going on holiday.   For many years when I lived in the US my extended family spent a week every summer having a big family holiday reunion.  

We always selected a resort town with a beach.  BUT, it also had to have nearby golfing for those who liked to golf.  It needed a wide variety of restaurants because we liked to go out to dinner a lot--who wants to cook when you are on holiday?  It needed a good selection of places to rent for the week with nice pools--because we spent lots of time just hanging out at the pool catching up.  It needed attractions and amusements to entertain us.  It needed places we could take day trips to.  And, some wanted good shopping, as well.  

If you look at Pattaya, it's got all that. Lots of places to stay on or near the beaches with pools.  Lots of golfing nearby including a beautiful new course near Silver Lake.  Lots of restaurants with all varieties of food and some right on the beach.  Day trips to the islands.  Attractions and amusements like the Aquarium, 3 water parks, the Kaan show, go carts, Nong Nooch Gardens and the shows there, Floating Market, Dolphinarium, Teddy Bear Museum, and others.  Lots of shopping at Central Festival, Terminal 21, night markets, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

Yes, jomtien, naklua etc, but pattaya central does not attract a decent family oriented crowd. Who wants to bring their family to this environment, hooker capital of the world? Rift raft, lowlifes? Never seen a decent family having dinner in LK metro, walking thru the hookers on beach road , maybe once, but never to return. Phuket, Samuel, hau hin, yes, pattaya? I don't know where u come from, but certainly not the families I know. The new beach is quite nice I will admit, thumbs up to that. Too bad the water is putrid. Too be quite honest, I have never, EVER seen a decent wealthy western family walking down beach road. 

The Truth Hurts.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:09 AM, belfast3 said:

Now is definitely not the time to be choosy over which class of tourists can visit.

Also, high end tourists will stay at big chain hotels owned by foreign companies and do little for the local economy. 

Hmm.  One of those deep, deep mysteries why countries, states, and even cities vigorously pursue foreign investment since, according to you, businesses owned by foreign companies, including hotels, 'do little for the local economy'. 

On 6/30/2020 at 7:35 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If we all cared about each other the world would be a wonderful place. The attitude that workers are nothing to do with "us" is, IMO, why western factory owners exported all their jobs to China so they could exploit the workers and make even more millions.

The exploitation of the workers is part of the reason I prefer to stay in cheap places where more of my money goes to the staff than in an expensive place where a corporation gets most of my money.

Your last sentence is a bit confused.  Whether you stay at a high end hotel or a budget hotel, the staff will likely get the same amount of your money.  If you spend 10,000 baht on a room, the maid will earn a salary of maybe 500 baht a day to clean it.  If you spend 1000 baht on a room, the maid will also get maybe 500 baht a day to clean it.  Same same.  In either case, the hotel owner is getting most of your money--but the hotel workers are benefiting as well by having jobs.  

14 minutes ago, newnative said:

Your last sentence is a bit confused.  Whether you stay at a high end hotel or a budget hotel, the staff will likely get the same amount of your money.  If you spend 10,000 baht on a room, the maid will earn a salary of maybe 500 baht a day to clean it.  If you spend 1000 baht on a room, the maid will also get maybe 500 baht a day to clean it.  Same same.  In either case, the hotel owner is getting most of your money--but the hotel workers are benefiting as well by having jobs.  

Not so. A 500 baht a day maid in a 5* would also receive a share of the Service Charge which can easily triple her salary, not so in a small hotel.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, Peterw42 said:

Interesting question, I think the reality is far lower than the perception/belief.

It depends who you ask, go to soi sexpat and ask the guys on the barstools, they will tell you that they alone are propping up the Thai economy.

Personally, I think its way smaller than people think. 

Totally agree.  It's, of course, a significant percentage, but dropping, in places like Pattaya but as a percentage of Thailand's total tourism I would say rather low and certainly not the largest percentage, as some wistfully maintain. 

• Like 2

You did not put in the 5th button.

5. It doesn’t matter as TAT will tell us year on year that rich tourists numbers have increased and so has their spending.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:24 PM, Trujillo said:

I never understood people staying in a place that cost 5,000 baht when two resorts down you got virtually the same thing for 1/5th the price. 

People who pay 5000 baht not only want nice and beautiful things which cheaper resorts provide as well.

They want to be among other people who can afford to pay 5000 baht.

May be start with a specific small wealthy group first, to get an inside look.

Like Nigerian Bankers.

The spending of the rich will never be more than the spending of the masses. 

This nonsense is just a wet dream of the elite who look down their noses at the rest of us.