My ED-Visa After 31-July

6 minutes ago, freesudani said:

Ok given that my visa expired on the end of april ....and all this period iwas on visa amnesty am i still eligible to apply for an extension ... meaning that i have to apply max by 15th of july??

In my experience the School needs to complete all the Paperwork and submit them to the Ministry of Education - from experience this can take 3 - 5 weeks

So you need to speak to your School ASAP - if they know what they are doing they should take care of everything for you - you just need to sign the forms and submit photos and proof of address etc

12 minutes ago, freesudani said:

Ok given that my visa expired on the end of april ....and all this period iwas on visa amnesty am i still eligible to apply for an extension ... meaning that i have to apply max by 15th of july??

The problem you have is that you never had a visa exempt or tourist visa entry. Those are the only entries that they will change to a non-ed visa entry.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The problem you have is that you never had a visa exempt or tourist visa entry. Those are the only entries that they will change to a non-ed visa entry.

Correct Joe - I am currently unable to get my next year on my ED Visa as I need to leave and re enter the country first then convert to a ED again

Clarification :

I have just been down to the private school again (Not CMU) and I once again enquired about Ed Visas and I asked about the cost of the Ed Visa , she said I dont need to go abroad and can get it direct from Immigration and I asked the cost  :

"11 000 Baht"

"Wil I get a receipt for the 11 000 Baht from immigration"

"Errrmmmmm no"

"Why not" ?

She suddenly notice a speck on ceiling and began looking at the ceiling

"Why wont I get a receipt for 11 000 Baht , is that the price of the visa"

"1900 Baht is the usual price for an Ed Visa" , I told her .

"Under the table" she said quietly .

A BRIBE , I said in a loud voice .

She nodded her head .

I refused to pay a bribe to a person to do their job .

Bribes should only be paid the people who do illegal things , I told her .

I refuse to pay bribes to people who are getting paid to provide a legitimate  service .

Thats corruption .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

Clarification :

I have just been down to the private school again (Not CMU) and I once again enquired about Ed Visas and I asked about the cost of the Ed Visa , she said I dont need to go abroad and can get it direct from Immigration and I asked the cost  :

"11 000 Baht"

"Errrmmmmm no"

"Why not" ?

She nodded her head .

I refuse to pay bribes to people who are getting paid to provide a legitimate  service .

Thats corruption .

Great well done

So you will be leaving the country as soon as possible to get your ED Visa in a nearby country then re entering Thailand won't you?

Oh I have just remembered you can't do that at the moment can you?

So no matter how much you scream and shout and complain about corruption you have one choice if you want that ED Visa soon and you know what that choice is don't you?

Let us know what you decide to do won't you

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Does it matter ?? He has a valid 1 year visa for 11.000 baht . Beats flying or driving out of the country 3 times a year for tourist visa with all it's costs as well . If he is happy with it what are you complaining about ? Especially now the borders are closed it's a good option for some people so let them be + it's a source of income for some people providing it . 

Actually this is just the Immigration Fee - you have to also pay for the school lessons

However it still works out cheaper than having to leave the country in order to get the ED Visa

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I agree with your attitude towards bribes. 

However in current climate this is exactly what I would do to avoid unknown (at this stage) the reentry requirements. Avoid exit thailand if at all possible. Pay for the grease.

Yes, I do have other options available for a similar price and I just thought that I may as well attend Thai lessons in School , but the total price for school & visa was 50 K for a year or I can get 15 months for half that price .

If we get one more months amnesty , then I can do 8 months land border V.E runs ...........as long as the re entry requirements allow this .

Edited by CorpusChristie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, I do have other options available for a similar price and I just thought that I may as well attend Thai lessons in School , but the total price for school & visa was 50 K for a year or I can get 15 months for half that price .

If we get one more months amnesty , then I can do 8 months land border V.E runs ...........as long as the re entry requirements allow this .

You can do max 2 visa exempt border visa exempt per calender year and can extend each entry by 30 day. Meaning 4 month this yr if you have not heard any already.

Then can repeat 2021. 

That's all assuming thai continue to grant visa exempt entry. That's not 100% 

As to your comment "as long as reentry requirements allow this"

Good luck with that idea.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can do max 2 visa exempt border visa exempt per calender year and can extend each entry by 30 day. Meaning 4 month this yr if you have not heard any already.

Then can repeat 2021. 

That's all assuming thai continue to grant visa exempt entry. That's not 100% 

As to your comment "as long as reentry requirements allow this"

Good luck with that idea.

Thanks , thinking about it , the  8 months on four V.Es would cost 12 K and run risks , may as well go for 15 months for 25 K

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Non-O 90-day + 1-year extension starting with a TR entry?  It's 25K for this "package" in some parts of the country - 15K or less for just the 1-year.

Which will still mean paying a bribe? Something he is obviously not prepared to do judging by his comments

59 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Which will still mean paying a bribe? Something he is obviously not prepared to do judging by his comments

I don't see a way around that, in his case - other than fly to where ever is open before July 31 - unless the "auto-extension" is extended ... or something else becomes available.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I don't see a way around that, in his case - other than fly to where ever is open before July 31 - unless the "auto-extension" is extended ... or something else becomes available.

But CorpusChristie is obviously very anti corruption isn't he - so CorpusChristie tell us why you are considering this option if indeed you are?

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Non-O 90-day + 1-year extension starting with a TR entry?  It's 25K for this "package" in some parts of the country - 15K or less for just the 1-year.

Is that a package deal offered to those who need to convert their visa for a retirement extension first? Or based on something else, as it's being compared with language studies that have a different "target group"?

30 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Is that a package deal offered to those who need to convert their visa for a retirement extension first? Or based on something else, as it's being compared with language studies that have a different "target group"?

25K is what I have seen people report for conversion from a TR-type entry to a Non-Imm-O for retirement AND the 1-year extension.  It's only 15K (or less) reported for the extension only.  

ED is for under-50s, primarily, as retirement-via-agent is cheaper (figure tuition, etc).  Similar with volunteer (reported mainly in CM). 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Clarification :

"11 000 Baht"

"Errrmmmmm no"

"Why not" ?

She nodded her head .

Thats corruption .

Whatever.

Do the "moral" thing and spend 15 times more leaving the country and trying to get back in, quarantine and all.

"Up to you" as the Thais say.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, Nanaplaza666 said:

Does it matter ?? He has a valid 1 year visa for 11.000 baht . Beats flying or driving out of the country 3 times a year for tourist visa with all it's costs as well . If he is happy with it what are you complaining about ? Especially now the borders are closed it's a good option for some people so let them be + it's a source of income for some people providing it . 

It doesn't matter but its not the same. But if you write that it's 11000 government fee and we all know it isn't then there's nothing wrong to correct it so that people understand its a bribe. It's for sure a valid stamp but still a bribe

• Like 1

The bribe is not a big deal, I would be more concerned IF that's actually processed at immigration or not...the scams of fake stamps are rampant right now that people is in needs...

Are you on tourist visa? That's the only way you can actually get a visa without going out..if you are not on tourist visa (or visa exempt) and the school told you they can process everything at immigration that's a big lie, there's no way to do that even for the best connected agent/school with the most corrupted IOs office.

Edited by Sundown

On 7/5/2020 at 3:44 AM, Sundown said:

the scams of fake stamps are rampant right now that people is in needs

I haven't heard about this - and don't know why anyone would need one now - though would not be surprised if this started happening, if there is not a fair system for extensions after July 31.

On 7/5/2020 at 3:44 AM, Sundown said:

Are you on tourist visa? That's the only way you can actually get a visa without going out..if you are not on tourist visa (or visa exempt) and the school told you they can process everything at immigration that's a big lie, there's no way to do that even for the best connected agent/school with the most corrupted IOs office.

Why?  If he was on a Non-Imm entry, they don't even need to do a "change of visa-type" (aka "conversion") step - just issue the new extension.  

If he was on a TR/Exempt, then "change of visa type" and then the extension. 

Neither are illegal - just something immigration usually demand a bribe to do - why people "go out for visas," instead. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

I haven't heard about this - and don't know why anyone would need one now - though would not be surprised if this started happening, if there is not a fair system for extensions after July 31.

The time to wait is over now for many. It's either taking the risk of having to go back to your country of birth or take one of those visa agency services (I hope that's what you referencing to when talking about fake stamps).

I've stayed on legit visas here the past 2 years and would continue to do so. I'm studying Thai now at a private school for 9 months and passed all the tests in writing, reading and speaking at the ministry of education and qualify for the next level. The only problem is that for the next level I need a new student card and for that I need to be on an exempt visa which requires me to do a border bounce. So even though I did everything they required me to do I'm still lost on what to do next since there is still no official information on how I can get the next visa even though I have all the permissions and documents I need. 

That being said, I definitely understand anyone using sketchy services now to extend their visas. The time is running out for many (because even those services take time) and there is just no option. It just is a very frustrating situation.

Edited by thanaka
removed text that didn't add to the topic
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, thanaka said:

The time to wait is over now for many. It's either taking the risk of having to go back to your country of birth or take one of those visa agency services (I hope that's what you referencing to when talking about fake stamps).

No, "fake stamps" are something else - not the same as agents, who get "real stamps," with their partners, who work at Immigration.  Immigration actively-encourage agent-extensions.

The "fake stamps" thing happened some years ago, primarily with a service advertised as a "border run without leaving Thailand."  Some agents actually took your passport on the trip out and back, and had them stamped out-th/in-laos/out-laos/in-th - while others just put fake stamps in passports, which did not match the Immigration database (obviously).  So when those folks tried to stamp-out to leave, or extend from those stamps, it was not a happy occassion for them.

I've stayed on legit visas here the past 2 years and would continue to do so. I'm studying Thai now at a private school for 9 months and passed all the tests in writing, reading and speaking at the ministry of education and qualify for the next level. The only problem is that for the next level I need a new student card and for that I need to be on an exempt visa which requires me to do a border bounce. So even though I did everything they required me to do I'm still lost on what to do next since there is still no official information on how I can get the next visa even though I have all the permissions and documents I need. 

I am not familiar with "student cards."  Apologies.  Maybe someone else with info on these can help.

I feel kinda lost. I've started some ecosystem preservation projects here that I would like to continue. I'm at a level now where I can do more because I speak the language now. Money is not a problem since I have passive income from projects I have build in the past. I have insurance with world wide cover including covid treatments. I have all the <deleted> they want and still get left without options on what I can do next. 

My former plan was to learn the language and then either open an NGO or a company, whatever is more beneficial for what I want to do. But now I will probably go back because I don't want to feel like a criminal and/or have problems in the future if I use one of those sketchy services. 

That being said, I definitely understand anyone using sketchy services now to extend their visas. The time is running out for many (because even those services take time) and there is just no option. It just is a very frustrating situation.

I can understand the dilemma.  I am in a similar one - looking at Turkey as a place to live (of all places), until I can get another Non-O Visa and come back to Thailand to live with my wife. 

Edited by JackThompson