Jump to content
BANGKOK
Jingthing

Android T.V. boxes (hardware and software) for "dummies"

Recommended Posts

OK, I recently upgraded my truly ancient non-Android WD t.v. box to a modern Android t.v. box. 

The change is massive. I got the Magicsee N5 Max at about 1500 baht which seems to be a good box but I realized quickly there was a better choice for my needs but I'll work with this for now anyway. 

 

Having an Android phone helped a lot with the learning curve but I'm still experiencing a number of issues that are at least temporarily a downgrade from my user experience with the ancient tv box.

 

But I'm fairly confident that over time I can resolve most of them at least.

 

The first critical thing that will help a lot is the need for a Bluetooth mini keyboard and mouse so I will order that soon. 

 

The idea of this topic is to provide a space for people to ask all kinds of basic questions about these boxes in the spirit of realizing we're not all tech geeks. Tech geeks are most welcome to answer but if you really don't know something, no matter how basic, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

 

I'll keep this at an introductory level here but will likely have a number of issues/questions to post about later. I may wait until I've got the keyboard mouse going though as I don't want to bother asking about things that will likely solve.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though dated, this seems to me a good general explanation of Android t.v. boxes:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First question.

My box is connected to my Windows 10 PC by ethernet (LAN wire), not wireless.

Previously I was always able to link my ancient WD box to my PC and could view it by looking at the network devices.

That was I could access the external USB drive (videos) connected to the box for moving files from the PC and also deleting, renaming files etc.

This is not working with my new box.

I was able to specify share on the Android box and an icon showed up on my windows network called DLNA player Media Center. Clicking on it hoping to see the USD drive instead it simply launches an unformatted webpage about the device.

I think where I get the Bluetooth mouse that I will be able to delete and rename files from the drive. But that doesn't solve copying files from the PC. 

So for now we're talking sneaker net! OMG, may as well get a rotary phone. 

 

Any idea on how I can fix this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the file list (to look at the files on the USB drive) the type size is too small for me to read without getting close to the tv. Yes, you might say get better glasses, but I didn't have that problem with the ancient box. So I want to increase the font size of the text of the files on the list. I assume there is a way to do that. So, how?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The remote control.

It has these four colored buttons on the bottom of it.

Red, green, yellow, blue.

 

Mine is like the picture.

I found another source which shows icons on the buttons.

The red one is an apps list icon and indeed it works for that from the homepage.

The green is a music icon. I click and nothing happens. So this needs to be linked to an app?

The yellow is a movies icon. Same question. 

The blue is a black box with a star in it. What's that supposed to be for?

 

In case you're wondering, the "user manual" was a joke.

 

magic.jpg.8eff43da665e1f4bc43b080e573f169c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this is what the OP is talking about but I have a Mecool M8s Max TV android box that cost to buy from Aliexpress for like $50-60, connected to my LG Tv loaded with streaming IPTV Apps i buy from China for like $20 subscription fee a year and it has like 12,000 channels from all over the world including like zillion of sport channels and i'm very happy with it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The first critical thing that will help a lot is the need for a Bluetooth mini keyboard and mouse so I will order that soon. 

The first thing i did was put the mini keyboard in the bin.....................too small for the fingers............i find the on screen keyboard easier............

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That was I could access the external USB drive (videos) connected to the box for moving files from the PC and also deleting, renaming files etc.

Is there not a file manager of some sort on the box?

ES File Explorer for example

 

ES File Explorer is a file manager/explorer designed by ES Global, a subsidiary of DO Global, for Android devices. It includes features like cloud storage integration, file transfer from Android to Windows via FTP or LAN, and a root browser.

 

Edited by thaiflyer1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be painful to watch, but it is about your android box.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I made a housewide ethernet for my magicsee n5 boxes. I have 4. Mini keypads are a must as the remotes are rubbish. I connect via a 4 port hub. So internet in , computer, tv and   android box in  out all then individually connected  to the smart tv via hdmi. Only changing the source as required. This is repeated downstairs. Where I just want the tv and nothing else I just use the inbuilt wifi.

Edited by uncleP
Brain damage
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I'm not sure if this is what the OP is talking about but I have a Mecool M8s Max TV android box that cost to buy from Aliexpress for like $50-60, connected to my LG Tv loaded with streaming IPTV Apps i buy from China for like $20 subscription fee a year and it has like 12,000 channels from all over the world including like zillion of sport channels and i'm very happy with it...

I wasn't specifically but the intention of this thread is more generic for all people figuring out how best to use their boxes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

The first thing i did was put the mini keyboard in the bin.....................too small for the fingers............i find the on screen keyboard easier............

I need the Bluetooth mouse more than anything. The remote mouse function is unusable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, uncleP said:

I made a housewide ethernet for my magicsee n5 boxes. I have 4. Mini keypads are a must as the remotes are rubbish. I connect my com via a hub. So internet, cable tv, computer, and android box  in and out to the smart tv. Only changing the source as required. This is repeated downstairs. Where I just want the tv and nothing else I just use the inbuilt wifi.

That's interesting but I wouldn't know exactly how to set that up technically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

This may be painful to watch, but it is about your android box.

 

Yes it is. Already watched it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Is there not a file manager of some sort on the box?

ES File Explorer for example

 

ES File Explorer is a file manager/explorer designed by ES Global, a subsidiary of DO Global, for Android devices. It includes features like cloud storage integration, file transfer from Android to Windows via FTP or LAN, and a root browser.

 

I don't see functions like that on what was included. Thanks for the tip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...