Bones of their A$$...

DDBKK

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not long ago there was a fella whose poster name was CanarySun who lived in Pattaya and had a lovely life with 10,000bht/mo. He didn't drink, smoke or hang out with loose women.

I could probably live on 10,000 baht/month too. Whether I'd enjoy it is a different question.

• Like 1

I know a guy who lives on about 10000 baht a month but has, so he says, 4 million in the bank.

He must have a decent wedge because when he needs to purchase a high cost item he does without a problem.

He is a veggie, doesn't smoke or drink alcohol and is highly educated.

Just lives quietly with his wife and seems happy as Larry.

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

I live very happily in Laos for less than $1,000 USD per month, which covers my house rent (3 beds, garden, 100 metres to the Mekong river), food, drink, expat medical insurance etc. I earn considerably more than that as an online science teacher, and so am able to save $$ each month.

A couple of years ago, I seriously considered returning to live in Europe, such as France.  But quite frankly, I would be worse off in any EU country.  In any case, the 'western world' seems to be going to the dogs! In the case of the UK, it is already like a stinking dog poo ????

You need to be earning enough for your retirement. Here teachers wages seem too low for any of that, which is the benefit of teaching in the west

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You need to be earning enough for your retirement. Here teachers wages seem too low for any of that, which is the benefit of teaching in the west

Teaching science online earns me more than the average salary for a B&M teacher in the UK ????  Plus I benefit from minimal tax and the low cost of living in Laos, plus their high interest rate on bank savings (6-8%).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The "stringent requirement" is 15K baht to an agent - so, yes, to the extent this is even a problem worth worrying about, they are 100% responsible for it.  All they had to do to fix the "problem" is ban agents.  If homeless-bums are roaming about, just pick them up and deport them.  That shouldn't take more than a day's work.

As to foreigners not paying medical bills:  Add 100 Baht to each person upon entry, to cover ALL unpaid-foreigners medical bills (not just retired folks), with 50% of the take left-over to help poorer Thais.  That's based on the last "unpaid foreigner's hospital bill" numbers I saw.

Everybody that I know (including myself) who uses an agent does so for convenience purposes not because they can't meet the requirements, so rather than ban this legitimate & valuable (to some) service, why not simply tighten up on the burden of proof side e.g. Follow-up on a random selection of proof of funds/income & prosecute both the Bank that provided them and the Agents that used them (& then ban the Agent). After a few fines the Banks will tighten up their internal procedures to prevent it happening & shady Agents will go off to do something else. 

Back to the OP, I've read a few people (normally fellow Brits) say that they don't need health insurance because they will go back home if something serious happens, I wonder how many of these are the same ones who cannot afford to go back home.

As an aside, the accepted wisdom of a few years back was "Never burn your bridges back home & always have an escape plan", from reading some of the replies to this thread, that now seems a luxury that many people no longer have so it's either jump in with both feet or not jump at all.

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

A couple of years ago, I seriously considered returning to live in Europe, such as France.  But quite frankly, I would be worse off in any EU country.  In any case, the 'western world' seems to be going to the dogs! In the case of the UK, it is already like a stinking dog poo ????

Paris is worse than London, but they tend to settle the immigrants/asylum seekers in the big cities which is what makes those places unlivable. Rural living is probably fine in both countries, but rural housing is a lot cheaper in France. I'm always looking at French properties, plenty for sale I would be happy to live in at around E20,000

2 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

.S. I have a friend who's more in the category you're talking about: he teaches Chinese kids English online. He's making around 50k baht a month, tops, not a lot to live on. He spent some time living in his girlfriend's condo in On Nut, some time in khao san hostels, etc. He also never comes out to drink with us because he can't afford it - in 2 years I've seen him 3 times. He never gets laid (other than his gf) either, Thai girls aren't exactly attracted to deadbeats. I have no idea why he's still in Thailand. I guess it's better than where he's from? (rural Australia). Without the girls or nightlife or even a nice condo what's the point of being there? It's like being in Disney land and unable to afford the rides...

I live on around 40k/month, house, live in gf, kids ....... too old for the other rides now, but I can still watch from the sidelines. Never spent much more than 40k/month ...... maybe 60k/month in the year I first moved here and was out ever night. Can't understand how some guys spend so much, imagine it's mostly foolishness.

If I were living alone 25k/month would be more than enough, and that's still keeping the 3 bed house.

(assuming no gf rental, school fees, university fees, pocket money for kids)

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I live on around 40k/month, house, live in gf, kids

You're in Chiang Mai where it is cheaper though, right? In Bangkok just a small condo and utilities in lower sukhumvit will cost close to half of that. Bangkok can be quite expensive, depending on what you do and where. I can spend a few thousands on a night out, easily.

• Like 1

..he teaches Chinese kids English online. He's making around 50k baht a month, tops, not a lot to live on....

Seriously, your friend needs to teach something else, such as Maths or Science.  There is a high demand and few online teachers.  (I mostly teach Science, but also elementary grade Maths, French and occasionally Thai!!).

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I live on around 40k/month, house, live in gf, kids ....... too old for the other rides now, but I can still watch from the sidelines. Never spent much more than 40k/month ...... maybe 60k/month in the year I first moved here and was out ever night. Can't understand how some guys spend so much, imagine it's mostly foolishness.

If I were living alone 25k/month would be more than enough, and that's still keeping the 3 bed house.

(assuming no gf rental, school fees, university fees, pocket money for kids)

I was living with the other half in BKK in a rented condo for a month a few years ago. The cost of the condo aside (30,000B in lower Sukhumvit), I was personally spending about 1,500B per day on average. Going out almost every night (not fine dining, just average-above average), seldom cooked.

If I was trying the rides a couple of times a week I would need closer to 100,000 a month.

I think to live comfortably in BKK to our western standards, pay rent, go out a few nights a week, hop on the fun rides occasionally, you're going to need about 65,000B minimum. 

Outside BKK you could probably make do with 50,000B.

How many Thais are earning 70,000B per month in BKK? <deleted> all. We are the flame and the women are the moths. 

Edited by PaulieAUS
Clarify
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/28/2020 at 6:18 AM, DDBKK said:

I wonder how many thousands of farang are living in Thailand on the bones of their asses when you include the mentally unstable like the beggars along lower Suk in BKK, Beach bums in Patts etc all at the lower end of the spectrum regarding bones of ass - probably a lot less than there used to be with all the visa restrictions being put in place but interested to hear from board members own experiences with these types who have fallen on hard times and what they think motivates them to remain close to/actually destitute in Asia?

They're slowly being rounded up and shipped off to the motherland, and could not agree more.

What i've noticed with this corona episode is that Thai's have returned to normal (middle-class, upper middle-class and upper-class), whilst their respective opposites (foreigners) are no where to be seen.

I dine out daily, 1,000-4,000 a day, and its weird being the only white person in the restaurant, its also pleasant.

9 hours ago, samsensam said:

i agree, some people, especially on this forum, spend far too much time thinking about, complaining about, criticising others. maybe it's a way to make themselves feel better about themselves. in the end of the day unless someone is doing something that is likely to endanger/cause harm to themselves or others leave them alone, it is non of your business. they are all adults and able to make their own decisions and live their own lives as they want. just because their choices dont meet with your approval is neither here nor there. live and let live.

Do you think the Op touched a nerve just by mentioning the topic? it's not as if you get this kind of response with other subjects

• Like 2

10 hours ago, samsensam said:

i agree, some people, especially on this forum, spend far too much time thinking about, complaining about, criticising others. maybe it's a way to make themselves feel better about themselves. in the end of the day unless someone is doing something that is likely to endanger/cause harm to themselves or others leave them alone, it is non of your business. they are all adults and able to make their own decisions and live their own lives as they want. just because their choices dont meet with your approval is neither here nor there. live and let live.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments,  I believe a lot of these guys are causing harm as their actions have lead to Immigration tightening up on Visa rules which has impacted people who were genuinely able to meet the rules before.  E.g.

1. People from UK, US, AUS who were earning (Gross) a little over 65K in their home countries can no longer get income certificates saying this nor can they transfer 65K across each month as that would be net of Tax or maybe they have bills to pay in their home country and don't need the full 65K here.
  2. People who had 800K in the bank but used to spend this down each year & top-up the next can no longer do this as it needs to remain untouched for 5 months of the year & stay above 400K for the remainder (effectively they have to find at least another 400K to get back into the cycle)
  3. People who have Non-OA Visas & comprehensive international health insurance can no longer enter without a Thailand approved insurance policy which they may not be able to get due to age/prexisting conditions
  4. FIFO workers/people who visit on a very regular basis can no longer rely on Visa Exempts & now not only have to get a longer term visa but also have to hope that they can time their entries so that they can extend it annually.

At the end of the day, if they are meeting the immigration requirements it doesn't matter how much/little they spend, but when they're not, are turning to "Grey" options (Using less than honest income/bank account declarations or living on Visa Exempts/Border Runs) & this has a knock on effect on guys that were able to meet the requirements then you cannot say that they're not doing any harm. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

At the end of the day, if they are meeting the immigration requirements it doesn't matter how much/little they spend, but when they're not, are turning to "Grey" options (Using less than honest income/bank account declarations or living on Visa Exempts/Border Runs) & this has a knock on effect on guys that were able to meet the requirements then you cannot say that they're not doing any harm. 

All BS as Immigration are more than happy for anyone to pay a bribe through an agent to bypass all extension requirements.

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

All BS as Immigration are more than happy for anyone to pay a bribe through an agent to bypass all extension requirements.

And that's exactly the mindset that is doing harm to guys who don't want to pay a bribe or go down a "Grey" route but want to live here both within the written & "spirit of" the rules.

Again, I see nothing wrong with people living here on a low budget but don't kid yourself that by bending the immigration rules you(*) are not causing harm to others because you are.

I was impacted by the clamp down on Visa Exempts forcing me to go to Penang to get a Non-Imm O despite clearly living/working in Singapore & only visiting for 5 days at a time (the problem was the number of times, typically twice a month, 10 days in SG then 5 days BKK). 

*I know you go out to get a new Non-O 90 day as required so am not saying "You" personally  

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, samsensam said:

I think you may have missed the part of the original post (OP) that refers to farang committing crimes to remain in the country. 

No one is naming names or looking down on anyone.  Perceiving any of the decent posts shows that you yourself might just have a slight chip on your shoulder about something

Who knows, maybe there are some depressed guys out there who read the (decent) replies in this thread and actually reflect on their own situation and make steps to improve upon it if they have slid by the wayside slightly - which can happen to the best of us from time to time if we aren't careful. 

why do you care? Who are you to them and who are they to you? There are people to whom money is not everything. There are people who don;t need to buy sex every other week. There are people who don;t need to constantly take ladies out for drinks or constantly pay their girlfriends' bills.