UK ready to quit EU on 'Australia terms' if no Brexit deal, Johnson says

rooster59

27 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

Here's what you wrote about Leica:

"Leica understood that digital was a game changer. And most importantly they understood that DSLRs were on the way out. They have also started to co-operate with mobile phone manufacturers. Their understanding of the market is excellent."

And that was utterly false. It nearly went under before it adjusted. And where does it stand in relation to Japanese camera makers today? It's a blip compared to them. In the world competition, Leica is an also ran.

As for Tesla not turning a profit...wishful thinking is not substitute for reality.

Tesla turns a profit and says it may hit 2020 delivery goals despite pandemic

"Tesla turned a surprise profit in the first quarter of 2020 of $16 million, despite factory shutdowns in China and the US, the company announced on Wednesday. It said it may still hit its goal of delivering 500,000 vehicles worldwide this year even in the face of the pandemic. It’s the first time in Tesla’s history that the company has turned in three consecutive profitable quarters."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/29/21241728/tesla-q1-earnings-financial-results-elon-musk-coronavirus-profit

And you would do well to read that article by the German engineer about why German EV's don't offer serious competition to Tesla. Basically, Tesla was imagined from the ground up to be an EV. German car manufacturers have just adapted their autos to be EV's. Your notion that Porsche sets the standard displays exactly the same kind of outmoded thinking that has kept German EV so far behind. It's not about acceleration or speed. It's about integration.

And nice cherry picking in that Politico article. You found the one little encouraging bit. But of course, that's the opinion of an interested party. Doesn't seem like the world is much interested. At least to go by investments which are minsicule.And you misrepresented that article by claiming in some areas Germany's ahead, in others behind in AI Really?Nothing in that article supports the use of a plural.

And in Robotics, as you noted, the Japanese are by far the world's leaders.

And by the way, many of the developments you claim Miele pioneered are actually commonplace in high tech ovens for restaurant and industrial use. Miele simply adapted them for home use.

No, what I said about Leica was absolutely correct. They have adjusted incredibly well to the new markets and produced top quality products for the new emerging markets, including mobile phone components. Leica is doing incredibly well right now. 

Leica is not an also ran, Leica is the gold standard in photography, the quality which camera makers like Canon and Nikon aspire to. Leica products are of significantly higher quality than most cameras out of Japan or anywhere else today. To say what you're saying is utterly foolish, it's like arguing that Porsche is not a good car because there were more Toyotas sold. It's silly. Of course Leica cameras will be sold less than a Canon, they cost four times as much. If you're lucky.

In terms of Tesla, obviously I meant full year profit. Tesla has not had a full year profit so far. They have had profitable quarters before but ultimately made a loss throughout the year. Tesla is not a profitable company, they have a mountain of debt and their cars have some very bad reviews. I'm not sure Tesla will survive long term.

Read up on the reviews of the Porsche Taycan. It is vastly better than anything made by Tesla. Volkswagen just built an entire factory for electric cars. The German auto-industry will destroy Tesla. It's not even a fair fight. Here some of the largest companies in the world, there an upstart that hasn't even had a profitable year yet and saddled with a mountain of debt.

You're not up-to-date with Miele, they have pioneered amazing new ovens. Of course steam existed before, but the kind of steam ovens Miele makes have never existed before. They cooked a fish on a bed of ice. The ice did not melt. But the fish was cooked. How was that magic possible? The food is cooked from within. The technology is so advanced other manufacturers can only dream of producing quality like Miele. It's unheard of quality no other manufacturer can match today.

In robotics Germany's KUKA is among the top ten companies in the world. The US only has one in the top ten. Yes most are Japanese. But Germany does well in robotics for manufacturing. German machinery is a major export pillar of the economy. 

Oh dear oh dear... ! , first they could not keep the Brits inside ...and now they need every trick of the book to get them OUT …. Haha

BTW  the man in the red circle... I never saw him look so serious (!) ….  could it be because that Barnier's news by  yesterday told to him … Haha    Not exactly the " and  he is a jolly good fellow "look

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jul/08/uk-coronavirus-live-sunak-to-set-out-jobs-plan-and-stamp-duty-holiday

3h ago13:03

Sunak announces discount worth up to £10 per head for eating out in August

Sunak says his final measure has never been tried in this country.

It is an “eat out to help out scheme”, offering customers as discount worth up to £10 per head when they eat out from Monday to Wednesday in August. Haha

Updated at 1.06pm BST

2020-07-08_211826.png

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

as for Miele, good stuff yes,

but look at the cost of the high tech dish washers /washers / dryers / fridges

3-5 times the cost of "normal" well known brands

hmm, I note that Carl Z is not mentioned

ALso, some of the German Maritim industry is super high tech and world leading

Not all, but some of the beer - outstanding

Benz and BMW have made some absolutely outstanding engines over the past 5-10 years

(AMG and Brabus super high tech)

(although, when Benz and BMW started to make modern high power engines they copied a lot from Toyota,

copying goes both ways)

It's the only way to survive. The Japanese and Chinese will copy cheap technology that is easily replicated.

You have to produce premium products that the competition can not really replicate easily.

That is why Leica, alone among the many, many German camera manufacturers, was able to survive. Because they focus on ultra-quality which the Japanese can not produce to the same level. So yes, Leica costs a lot more, but they are able to be profitable six years in a row with that strategy.

Same with Miele. All made in Germany. They cost a lot more yes, but you get a vastly better product for the money.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

No, what I said about Leica was absolutely correct. They have adjusted incredibly well to the new markets and produced top quality products for the new emerging markets, including mobile phone components. Leica is doing incredibly well right now. 

Leica is not an also ran, Leica is the gold standard in photography, the quality which camera makers like Canon and Nikon aspire to. Leica products are of significantly higher quality than most cameras out of Japan or anywhere else today. To say what you're saying is utterly foolish, it's like arguing that Porsche is not a good car because there were more Toyotas sold. It's silly. Of course Leica cameras will be sold less than a Canon, they cost four times as much. If you're lucky.

In terms of Tesla, obviously I meant full year profit. Tesla has not had a full year profit so far. They have had profitable quarters before but ultimately made a loss throughout the year. Tesla is not a profitable company, they have a mountain of debt and their cars have some very bad reviews. I'm not sure Tesla will survive long term.

Read up on the reviews of the Porsche Taycan. It is vastly better than anything made by Tesla. Volkswagen just built an entire factory for electric cars. The German auto-industry will destroy Tesla. It's not even a fair fight. Here some of the largest companies in the world, there an upstart that hasn't even had a profitable year yet and saddled with a mountain of debt.

You're not up-to-date with Miele, they have pioneered amazing new ovens. Of course steam existed before, but the kind of steam ovens Miele makes have never existed before. They cooked a fish on a bed of ice. The ice did not melt. But the fish was cooked. How was that magic possible? The food is cooked from within. The technology is so advanced other manufacturers can only dream of producing quality like Miele. It's unheard of quality no other manufacturer can match today.

In robotics Germany's KUKA is among the top ten companies in the world. The US only has one in the top ten. Yes most are Japanese. But Germany does well in robotics for manufacturing. German machinery is a major export pillar of the economy. 

All those japanese companies started out small and have vastly outgrown leica. And you persist in maintaining that Leica was not slow to adopt digital technology. Do you think the Wall Street Journal was just making that up? That Leica didn't fire its CEO for pushing it to go into digital? 

As for Tesla, I can see that you refuse to read that article by the German engineer. So what can I say. Teslas are built form the ground up to be EVs. Other car manufacturers are just adapting what they had before. And maybe you know better than all the stock pickers but Tesla's shares are way way up. For instance software can update virtually all systems. No other EV offers that. People who look closely at the automobile industry are very impressed. And they say driving a Tesla is like driving no other car. I noted in that JD Powers article they said that Germans were very loyal to their brands. Despite their shortcomings. So when I read about your comparing a Lexus to a Mercedes I saw what they meant. Love is blind.

But you're right about Miele. It is very advanced. 

19 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's the only way to survive. The Japanese and Chinese will copy cheap technology that is easily replicated.

You have to produce premium products that the competition can not really replicate easily.

That is why Leica, alone among the many, many German camera manufacturers, was able to survive. Because they focus on ultra-quality which the Japanese can not produce to the same level. So yes, Leica costs a lot more, but they are able to be profitable six years in a row with that strategy.

Same with Miele. All made in Germany. They cost a lot more yes, but you get a vastly better product for the money.

So most German camera manufacturers failed. What does that say? And Japanese top of the line cameras are hardly cheap technology. In fact, as far as the digital aspect is concerned still way outcompeting Leica.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnpetersen said:

So most German camera manufacturers failed. What does that say? And Japanese top of the line cameras are hardly cheap technology. In fact, as far as the digital aspect is concerned still way outcompeting Leica.

and lets not forget Volkswagen lying to their customers regarding exhaust emissions.

10 hours ago, nauseus said:

If you mean the EU, I don't know really. I am sure that they would at least consider bending their own rules (again) if Scotland becomes available. The chance of a revengeful political victory may well be too tasty for the EU to pass up and they aren't scoring many of those these days!   

What's not to like - Ms Sturgeon will eventually get her hard border, she can grandstand by doing her bit "stagging on" at Gretna Green!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Taking the p_ss out of MP's again, plus another lefty rag link, is that all you have..?

I think this is an adult forum ol'chap.......????

So.....what are you doing here than ..? ????

You are just doing same thing ....but from the other side ... no  humor in your life ...?...????

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, david555 said:

You are just doing same thing ....but from the other side ... no  humor in your life ...?...????

Taking the p_ss out of an MP's appearance to bolster your case is incredibly eeeeeer................

........expected in your case....????

25 minutes ago, david555 said:

or No Fun for the Hun      As Merkel and others stated no "Singapore in the North Sea" is exactly what is coming. is now all largely push button,all done by machines,wants no competition from UK as she states.

Its Eire that is the whipping boy here,anything the EU does,the UK magnify it on Eire,the first EU state to go bankrupt,will cost the EU billions if not trillions to keep afloat,never mind Greece,seen nothing quite like it coming

37 minutes ago, david555 said:

You may find great gratification in disparaging the UK and its government all the time, but please don't try to pass it off as humour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

You may find great gratification in disparaging the UK and its government all the time, but please don't try to pass it off as humour.

They stopped printing the Beano and Dandy, he's still a bit cut up...................????

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Oh...so  sorry forgot that the brexiteers have the monopoly of defining what is humor ….. ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/08/liz-truss-warns-boris-johnson-over-brexit-border-plans
Liz Truss warns Boris Johnson over Brexit border plans 

International trade secretary tells PM and chancellor plans risk smuggling and damage to UK reputation

An extraordinary cabinet row has erupted over Brexit with Liz Truss warning that Boris Johnson’s border plans risk smuggling, damage to the UK’s international reputation and could face a legal challenge from the World Trade Organization.

The international trade secretary wrote to the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and Michael Gove on Wednesday warning of four “key areas of concern” over their plans for the border next January.In a letter, dated 8 July, leaked to website Business Insider and also seen by the Guardian, she says: “Dear Rishi and Michael, I am writing to you to set out my key areas of concern on border policy and readiness for the end of the transition period and to seek your assurance that the concerns will be addressed.”
She says she has written the letter in advance of the “border operating model publication on 13 July when the UK’s proposals for the border will come under renewed scrutiny both on the domestic and international stage”.

more...

Another lefty rag link........Gawd............:coffee1:

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

That's not the forensic, well thought out rebuttal you appear to think it is. Then again, emus are not renowned for their intellect but you keep your head in the sand and ignore reality if you wish. 

My reality is not your..........

crystal-ball-e1535662259363.jpg.e37741fdad8406b4d8381c940fed9d68.jpg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

I remember many such remarks from brexiteers side about example ...Juncker & others  ????

but same as always you right wingers  have the monopoly about …. everything 

I am not a right or left winger for starters, lets get that straight.

I have not taken the p_ss out of any MP's appearance, what they say is a different matter.

PS. Can you remind me where you come from, it may help....