UK ready to quit EU on 'Australia terms' if no Brexit deal, Johnson says

rooster59

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

English is most definitely a Germanic language. Of course "Invicta" England was invaded so many times by Romance speaking peoples, Romans, French, particularly 1066 ensured that many Romance words were adopted in the English language.

This long, humiliating, and embarassing history of England being raped, pillaged and forced to speak the language of its conquerors, and thus acquiring many Romance language words, should not detract from the fact that English is a Germanic language however.  In the case of English, it developed from Proto-Germanic, alongside German, Dutch, and some other languages.

It is just as much french as it is german, and french is a latin based language. Dutch at the time was actually a german based language. All the bad words are german and all the good words are french.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

It's called English, even the USA chose English over German way back when. 

The USA never chose English over German, that is the old Muhlenberg legend. That supposed vote never happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhlenberg_legend

In fact the USA do not have an official language. They merely used English as a de facto language as it is the country's predominant language.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

No, it is rigged because the minority can, as we see, lead the majority off a cliff. That is why the last GE was very much hobson's choice. 

Am I not allowed to comment positively when someone in government makes what I consider a good move? We are not all as partisan as you seem to think. But as they say, one swallow doesn't make a summer. After all, he is still a tory. 

So which government would be doing better than the Tories at this very moment in time?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The USA never chose English over German, that is the old Muhlenberg legend. That supposed vote never happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhlenberg_legend

In fact the USA do not have an official language. They merely used English as a de facto language as it is the country's predominant language.

I like the "legend", and are you saying there were zillions more English in the USA than any other nationality....?

Though I do like the fact that the English language and Imperial measurements are used worldwide by airlines, and the USA seems to still like miles per hour and pounds for weight.

Is there any German in that...?

We are now way off topic though....????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

You are demanding certainty about a future event happening - I can no more do that than tell you with certainty what will be the closing price of BP on moday or the winner of the 2:30 and Chepstow next saturday . If I could do thus I would be a much richer and happier man.

However, we can make predictions of what is likely to happen - indeed there are entire industries devoted to this. You wouldn't invest your pension pot in Mongolian pig tallow futures without checking if the promised 65% return was likely to be achievable.

Everybody in the prediction business reckons that no-deal Brexit will be bad  for jobs and the economy - you maty choice to bury you head in the sands and say we can't be certain, but it would be prudent to make preparations assuming it will be  or to try to avoid it.

Anyway we'll probably only have to wait 6 months to find out if you or I are right.....   

But it doesn't matter, we left the EU because we do not like being controlled by Eurocrats, the 40+ years showed us what was happening, the way it was going, plus the uncontrollable entry of undesirables to the UK. 

You can keep Brussels, and all the cr_p that goes with it, or perhaps those who bluster here could move to Germany, or Romania, or..................????

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

If that blows your mind, wait till you hear that Germany existed before the EU!

"English is a West Germanic language that originated from Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain in the mid 5th to 7th centuries AD by Anglo-Saxon migrants from what is now northwest Germany, southern Denmark and the Netherlands."

Yes - it explains just how we have allowed these corrupt and incompetent charlatans into Downing Street. The UK is too stupid to vote for what is actually good for it. 

Wow, does that mean we should stay in the EU??
We don't think so, but if language origins do it for you... see you Jimmy.

There you go with the too stupid thing again. It's not working for you is it?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tebee said:

We scotland doesn't like being controlled by London - so you'd be happy with them gaining their freedom too?

King James VI of Scotland created the United Kingdom when he also became King of England.

That is good enough for me, and the union did well. If Scotland now wants to bust the union and cozzy up to the Germans, orchestrated by a not to clever, short time shield beating politician, well, that would be a real shame....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You just can't help but get in that little dig, you and your anti-scottish sentiment. Oh well, I am confident that you are not reflective of the majority. 

What is not working for me? My observation that the country shot itself in the foot when it rejected a patently superior and more democratic voting method? Certainly the UK isn't working for me but we are going to put that right soon enough. 

Not reflective of the majority? I'm part of the majority (minority to you) who voted for Brexit. That's why it's happening now.
So AV or PR or whatever is superior and more democratic? We would never have hung parliaments or coalitions ever again?? Fortunately we went all democratic about the idea and we voted against it. How would AV come to any sort of agreement about that, with, multiple different opinions?

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

You shouldn't worry about us Irish. We will manage. The UK, on the other hand will be faced with the odd problem or two: e.g. (i) average tariffs on EU food imports would be over 20%, pushing up prices significantly for you; (ii) the UK is now shut out of the Gelileo project and will be pumping one-half a billion into the bankrupt One Web operator ( a Cummings idea); (iii) analysis by Dan Hanson, a UK economist for Bloomberg economics, researched a 200 billion quid cost to the UK, up to Dec 2020.

Then there is the London financial centre - 200 billion a year in trade, 65 billion in tax revenues. I am sure if you keep insulting the EU, that it will bear no grudges when it comes time to decide on London keeping or losing it international bank passporting status.  Half that 200 billion in trade is with the EU.

The previous offer of extra chips is now hereby withdrawn.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most recent off topic rubbish from the usual off topic poster has been removed, If you keep attempting to hijack the topic like this you will be going on holiday, please now stay on topic. 

UK ready to quit EU on 'Australia terms' if no Brexit deal, Johnson says

3 hours ago, paddypower said:

Thank God, no. the inital budget was 3-5 billion quid. You can imagine what it would have ended up costing.

good, sufficient number of such systems in operation

I'd say 10 billion minimum. (and pretty long time)

(means UK has settled for not having access to the low level nitty gritty details?)

13 hours ago, nauseus said:

The previous offer of extra chips is now hereby withdrawn.

and I though we were acting like gentlemen. the offer to call me Paddy is hereby withdrawn - you can call me Ignatius, for the immediate future. After Dec 31, you can call me Johnny foreigner. ????

• Haha 2