UK ready to quit EU on 'Australia terms' if no Brexit deal, Johnson says

rooster59

15 hours ago, transam said:

Yet..............:whistling:

The UK is now out of all that future infighting....:clap2:

It is so weird - the uk had (and did execise) the voting power to instigate changes, within the EU. That is democracy (you know - the one you are always babbling on about the 52/48 Brexit vote being 'democratic'.) Now that you are leaving, all you can do is criticize their democratic structure. As has been pointed out, ad nauseum, any one member country has the right to veto. But that wasn't good enough for you, you had to go <deleted> it up. JHC, you'd think you were a bunch of children.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paddypower said:

It is so weird - the uk had (and did execise) the voting power to instigate changes, within the EU. That is democracy (you know - the one you are always babbling on about the 52/48 Brexit vote being 'democratic'.) Now that you are leaving, all you can do is criticize their democratic structure. As has been pointed out, ad nauseum, any one member country has the right to veto. But that wasn't good enough for you, you had to go <deleted> it up. JHC, you'd think you were a bunch of children.

You don't understand that the UK in the EU was up against 28 countries, not a couple of parties in parliament, totally different.

Just get it into your head that the UK is now free, even EU criminals in the UK are to be chucked out, it's going to get even better...BUT, you lot will always be here blustering your cuddly German stuff....????

12 hours ago, Loiner said:

Those vetos are disappearing rapidly. The EU commissioners are targeting the Irish, Belgian, Luxembourg and Dutch harboured multinationals taxes now. They will invoke Article 116 of their treaty, which will only need a qualified majority.

So where will those multinats move their registered addresses for tax purposes? To Singapore on Thames of course, which we will be able to do, without their restrictions or accursed 'level playing field'. That's what the EU is so scared of and what they doublespeak about taxation - nothing to do with the leftist fallacy about rich people's offshore investments.

you can put lipstick on a pig, but....you have not been following the news. any multi nat registering their tax address in London would be jumping from the pan into the fire. The EU is likley to negotiate more reasonably with member countries with low tax regimes (like Ireland), than it is with the party poopers. Canary Wharf may end up a pigeon loft.

Edited by paddypower
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Those spivs in the city have forgotten more about money markets than you and I ever knew.

They hate Brexit because they project massive damage to the UK economy because of it.

Hence the devaluation of the pound.

And yes living in Thailand on my UK company pension this stupidity has cost me a fortune.

For what?

Thailand vv UK: lower risk of getting stabbed (so long as you have jai jen) , minimal Covid risks, better weather, superior medical facilities, no waiting lists, no taxes, no worries. I just turned 74 and every lady says ''you hansum young man, maybe 55 up''. where in gosh's name in England can you get any joy? everything there is black or grey, all year long. ????

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I can agree to call Mr. Johnson's victory a landslide.

In no way the Brexit results were.

But maybe I misunderstood your comments,

you were not referring to the Brexit results, when you wrote  =

it let the citizens decide in a referendum for themselves and just to nail it on the head they gave the Brexiteers a landslide election victory to boot."

English is my 4th. language ( after the 3 national Belgian ones/mandatory when I went to school in the Sixties ).

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

So you cant point out anywhere in the Lisbon treaty which removes a countries ability to veto.

Start with Articles 16 and 238. To tell you more could be risky.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Perhaps you can list some of those positives?

Hows about

Key arguments for leave

• Foreign affairs:

EU membership limits Britain’s international influence, ruling out an independent seat at the World Trade Organisation.

• Sovereignty:

Britain would have more control of its laws and regulations, without risk of having counterintuitive policies forcefully imposed.

• Security:

Britain’s domestic security would benefit more from greater border control than political union.

• Money:

Britain contributes billions of pounds in membership fees to the EU every year.

• Trade:

Membership in the EU keeps Britain from fully capitalising on trade with major worldwide economies like Japan, India and the UAE.

• Business:

The EU subjects Britain to slow and inflexible bureaucracy, making it more prohibitive for smaller, more innovative companies.

• Jobs:

Improved global trade agreements and more selective immigration would have a positive effect on the British job market.

• Consumer goods:

The average person in Britain lose hundreds each year owing to policies regarding VAT contributions and agricultural subsidies.

•  

:-   

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

The right to veto what? There have been numerous types of vetos but most have already been lost over the years.

Here's the next one likely to go: 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ursula-von-der-leyen-eu-commission-president-foreign-policy-veto-qualified-majority-a9006686.html

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The right to veto what? There have been numerous types of vetos but most have already been lost over the years.

Here's the next one likely to go: 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ursula-von-der-leyen-eu-commission-president-foreign-policy-veto-qualified-majority-a9006686.html

It’s funny that the same people who celebrate a narrow 52-48 majority as ultimate democracy expect other countries to give each other a veto right. 

Of course, it’s the same people who spread the lie of “unelected” EU politicians where their own head of state is unelected. 

The same people who complain about the complexity of treaties while their own constitution isn’t even written in text. 

???????????? 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, paddypower said:

a confused emoticon doesn't cover my reaction to this. first you rappaported in (up the White Cliffs of Dover, was it?) then i realized the Kings English is not your first language. Next time you pop back in, to the UK, after 31/12/2020. Patel will catch you, and put you in to an attitude adjustment centre.

What are you drinking ????? I am not near an inch of beeing or planning to go to England ......you must be mixing up with someone else....so Platel adjustment centre is not apropriate to me as i would nearest to England is a stay on E.U. soil.....

With exception if Scotland becomes independant...????.then it could i give it a visit ????????????????????????????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tebee said:

An illusion of Independence and bankruptcy.

See how well your Independence survives when trying to negotiate with the much larger US

Awwww, dry those eyes tebee. Maybe a pint will make you feel better. Best avoid Guinness though.

image.png.f7213830d2440291d350221b885f297f.png

16 hours ago, Loiner said:

Those vetos are disappearing rapidly. The EU commissioners are targeting the Irish, Belgian, Luxembourg and Dutch harboured multinationals taxes now. They will invoke Article 116 of their treaty, which will only need a qualified majority.

So where will those multinats move their registered addresses for tax purposes? To Singapore on Thames of course, which we will be able to do, without their restrictions or accursed 'level playing field'. That's what the EU is so scared of and what they doublespeak about taxation - nothing to do with the leftist fallacy about rich people's offshore investments.

So why should these multinationals be interested in having a tax domicile in Singapore on Thames now, rather than the real Singapore, the Bahamas or the Cayman isles ? If we don't have a deal with the EU the only thing we have going for us is physical  proximity and unlike trade in real goods, that don't count for diddly squat in intangibles.

Also what exactly do we gain from have companies avoiding tax domiciled? Surly they'd be avoiding our taxes too  ???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I really don't understand why you keep poking your nose in here - it is none of your business what happens to the UK. Let us deal with that and you trot off and don't concern yourself unnecessarily Try and get a life that doesn't involve you having to keep coming back with snide remarks.  Move on.

I'm a Brit - so these idiotic decisions my countrymen take affect me to. 

It may have been a slight majority vote, but i don't see anything in the British constitution that stops us being a democracy afterwards, so I am exercising my democratic right to point out that I feel you are being lead by shysters and conmen and this is all going to end very badly. Absolutely nothing that was promised is going to be delivered. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, tebee said:

I'm a Brit - so these idiotic decisions my countrymen take affect me to. 

I am a Brit too and it is those idiotic decisions that took us into the EU and allowed for us to give away our fishing rights, reduce our ability to feed ourselves, so the French can corner that market and the loss of many other things in the name of the EU.

Thankfully after 43 plus years the idiotic decision was put right, even though many of those idiots in the name of democracy are still trying to prevent it.

1 minute ago, tebee said:

but this is my point, democracy does not end after one vote.

You lost, get over it, is not democracy, it's tyranny.  

Pointless voting then isn't it if we can change our minds the very next day. 

• Like 2