UK ready to quit EU on 'Australia terms' if no Brexit deal, Johnson says

rooster59

Just now, tebee said:

Again, you are missing the point of having a democracy, you can change your mind.  

Thanks for being patronizing. Again what is the point of voting if you lose, you just say I want another untill I win, I will not accept what the majority voted for because Brexit is all about me and not the majority of our country. If Labour ever get voted in I will demand another vote and not give them a chance to govern, BTW this is a purely hypothetical scenario, Labour will never get back in, in our lifetime anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It’s funny that the same people who celebrate a narrow 52-48 majority as ultimate democracy expect other countries to give each other a veto right. 

Of course, it’s the same people who spread the lie of “unelected” EU politicians where their own head of state is unelected. 

The same people who complain about the complexity of treaties while their own constitution isn’t even written in text. 

???????????? 

A 52-48 majority is narrow but democratic nevertheless - this is the system we have - I don't think anyone on here has described it as "ultimate", except yourself of course. 

Some senior EU politicians are selected rather than elected in any true sense. Von Der Leyen was the outcome of closed door bartering and then offered to the EU for approval as the only candidate for EU Commissioner, after Merkel put her shoulder in. A prime example of EU democracy in 'action'. 

Our own head of state exists as such due to the way our own constitutional monarchy has evolved over hundreds of years - that we still have a monarch at all must be because the British people still want one - this can change in the future, if that is what the British people choose.

Just because the British Constitution is not codified into a single document does not rend it inferior to any others. 

Your claims and comparisons are weak, as ever.

Edited by nauseus

1 hour ago, tebee said:

I'm a Brit - so these idiotic decisions my countrymen take affect me to. 

It may have been a slight majority vote, but i don't see anything in the British constitution that stops us being a democracy afterwards, so I am exercising my democratic right to point out that I feel you are being lead by shysters and conmen and this is all going to end very badly. Absolutely nothing that was promised is going to be delivered. 

It were the shysters and conmen that sucked us into the EEC morass in the first place, werentit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Apologies - I thought you were European.

In that case it is your business. But your side lost and we are leaving so you still need to move on.

I thought you were European. Love it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tebee said:

but this is my point, democracy does not end after one vote.

You lost, get over it, is not democracy, it's tyranny.  

Er, Tebee still wants best out of 3, 5, 7  who knows?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am a Brit too and it is those idiotic decisions that took us into the EU and allowed for us to give away our fishing rights, reduce our ability to feed ourselves, so the French can corner that market and the loss of many other things in the name of the EU.

Thankfully after 43 plus years the idiotic decision was put right, even though many of those idiots in the name of democracy are still trying to prevent it.

Gravy rocks!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Blaady hell .....how long since we left and there has been a World wide pandemic.....give it a rest and let the dust settle.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer, I could be mistaken, but I think this is a chat/discussion forum. 

Anyway, I like reading the SNP on here, sobbing and waffling.....????

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

All the while forgetting the unelected House of Lords and the unelected Dom Cummings running the country.

Well, they are quite forgettable.

Finished your homework yet?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, david555 said:

What are you drinking ????? I am not near an inch of beeing or planning to go to England ......you must be mixing up with someone else....so Platel adjustment centre is not apropriate to me as i would nearest to England is a stay on E.U. soil.....

With exception if Scotland becomes independant...????.then it could i give it a visit ????????????????????????????

an unreserved appology, mate. I misposted a reply to another who was writing in a version of English that I do not know. I agree about travels, mine would be to one of the Celtic peoples - you know, the ones who party at funerals. :))

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Sadly Brexiteers have been reduced to saying "We won, we won, we won", and "Democracy, democracy, democracy".  Nothing else much that they can say really. 

It is becoming more and more obvious, to many in the UK, if not on TV,  that the crock of gold they were promised has turned into a crock of manure. An economic disaster looms, Brexit has already cost us through loss of GDP near what our ENTIRE EU contributions have been since we joined. (Bloomberg).

That lefty rag the Financial Times has this to say. 

The economic cost of Brexit was laid bare on Wednesday by Britain's official budget watchdog, which warned that leaving the EU would hit growth, exports and the public finances at a time of rising uncertainty. Against a backdrop of coronavirus and slowing global growth, the Office for Budget Responsibility modelled for a 5.2 per cent loss of potential GDP over 15 years if a typical free trade agreement was struck. The watchdog said that Britain had already lost 2 per cent of potential output since the 2016 Leave vote with a further 3.2 per cent to come, blaming rising trade friction, restrictions on migration and red tape.

https://www.ft.com/content/72938c66-638f-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

The article is sobering.

Oh sorry, I forgot about blue passports, huzzah, huzzah.

ah! that explains why that 'lefty' rag is printed on pinko paper - what bunch of commy capitalists, eh?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well, they are quite forgettable.

Finished your homework yet?

What homework?

Oh you mean the BS you came out with about countries not having a veto?

OK yeah so they moved a lot of less important issues into a majority vote. But countries still have a veto over more important issues. As you pointed out with your example of another less important issue being moved to majority vote.

Of course if you are right then you will no longer be able to claim that Spain will veto Scotlands application to join the EU wont you?

Or are you still going to be claiming that?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Sadly Brexiteers have been reduced to saying "We won, we won, we won", and "Democracy, democracy, democracy".  Nothing else much that they can say really. 

It is becoming more and more obvious, to many in the UK, if not on TV,  that the crock of gold they were promised has turned into a crock of manure. An economic disaster looms, Brexit has already cost us through loss of GDP near what our ENTIRE EU contributions have been since we joined. (Bloomberg).

That lefty rag the Financial Times has this to say. 

The economic cost of Brexit was laid bare on Wednesday by Britain's official budget watchdog, which warned that leaving the EU would hit growth, exports and the public finances at a time of rising uncertainty. Against a backdrop of coronavirus and slowing global growth, the Office for Budget Responsibility modelled for a 5.2 per cent loss of potential GDP over 15 years if a typical free trade agreement was struck. The watchdog said that Britain had already lost 2 per cent of potential output since the 2016 Leave vote with a further 3.2 per cent to come, blaming rising trade friction, restrictions on migration and red tape.

https://www.ft.com/content/72938c66-638f-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

The article is sobering.

Oh sorry, I forgot about blue passports, huzzah, huzzah.

Very funny, veeeery funny, but you spend all that time writing about something that hasn't been sorted or finished yet, and for sure very little will be learned until after 1st Jan 2021...

So why waste our time day after day with your continuous lefty propaganda...

It really is daft....????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Michael Gove is the poor man's Machiavelli. The only section of 'The Prince' he read was how to stab someone in the back, whilst telling them what a fine chap they are.

But you haven't mentioned what was said in the vid, because it is fact,

Now, no deviations please, or we will end up with "Gove had dirty shoes on yesterday", that sort of stuff...????

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Michael Gove is the poor man's Machiavelli. The only section of 'The Prince' he read was how to stab someone in the back, whilst telling them what a fine chap they are.

Like being savaged by a dead sheep. Asked a question in a civil manor and reply's with the usual Conservative yah boo style.  

His hypocrisy knows no bounds either. Given he is a rabid British nationalist along with the rest of his Brexiteer chums.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

What homework?

Oh you mean the BS you came out with about countries not having a veto?

OK yeah so they moved a lot of less important issues into a majority vote. But countries still have a veto over more important issues. As you pointed out with your example of another less important issue being moved to majority vote.

Of course if you are right then you will no longer be able to claim that Spain will veto Scotlands application to join the EU wont you?

Or are you still going to be claiming that?

I watched a YT last night, it was about Spain trashing Scotland joining the EU.....????

9 minutes ago, transam said:

But you haven't mentioned what was said in the vid, because it is fact,

Now, no deviations please, or we will end up with "Gove had dirty shoes on yesterday", that sort of stuff...????

Would you let your sister hold hands with him, then? He would be feeling her up as he asked her to watch his latest vid.

All is not lost, there is now councelling available for remainers who are feeling under the weather. And although the article is over two years old, if still running I feel it would benefit many on here, has to be worth a punt.

"A group of psychotherapists have volunteered to offer free counselling for people with anxiety related to Brexit.

The organisers say the initiative is aimed at preventing people “being sucked into a vortex of gloom and doom” over the prospect of the UK leaving the EU.

It came after a survey of 1,300 remain voters found many were still traumatised by the result of the referendum.

Asked to express their emotions about the vote the most common words used in the survey were “devastated”, “angry”, “depressed”, “betrayed” and “ashamed”."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/09/suffering-from-brexit-anxiety-you-could-get-free-counselling

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Like being savaged by a dead sheep. Asked a question in a civil manor and reply's with the usual Conservative yah boo style.  

His hypocrisy knows no bounds either. Given he is a rabid British nationalist along with the rest of his Brexiteer chums.

I lived in a civil house once....always wanted to visit the manor. ????

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

All is not lost, there is now councelling available for remainers who are feeling under the weather. And although the article is over two years old, if still running I feel it would benefit many on here, has to be worth a punt.

"A group of psychotherapists have volunteered to offer free counselling for people with anxiety related to Brexit.

The organisers say the initiative is aimed at preventing people “being sucked into a vortex of gloom and doom” over the prospect of the UK leaving the EU.

It came after a survey of 1,300 remain voters found many were still traumatised by the result of the referendum.

Asked to express their emotions about the vote the most common words used in the survey were “devastated”, “angry”, “depressed”, “betrayed” and “ashamed”."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/09/suffering-from-brexit-anxiety-you-could-get-free-counselling

wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to give them a few free beers. ?

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, nauseus said:

A 52-48 majority is narrow but democratic nevertheless - this is the system we have - I don't think anyone on here has described it as "ultimate", except yourself of course. 

Some senior EU politicians are selected rather than elected in any true sense. Von Der Leyen was the outcome of closed door bartering and then offered to the EU for approval as the only candidate for EU Commissioner, after Merkel put her shoulder in. A prime example of EU democracy in 'action'. 

Our own head of state exists as such due to the way our own constitutional monarchy has evolved over hundreds of years - that we still have a monarch at all must be because the British people still want one - this can change in the future, if that is what the British people choose.

Just because the British Constitution is not codified into a single document does not rend it inferior to any others. 

Your claims and comparisons are weak, as ever.

But mature democracies with a codified constitution do not let you make major constitutional   changes that will affect the population for generations to come on a small simple majority - some sort of supermajority is required. Otherwise you end up with exactly what we have now, a country split down the middle with one half feelling disenfranchised.

I suspect, when this debacle is all over the UK will end up with some sort of codified constitution, not only because of the vote, but because of the way the Tories are carrying on in power, by ignoring conventions and using they power to enrich their friends.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, transam said:

Very funny, veeeery funny, but you spend all that time writing about something that hasn't been sorted or finished yet, and for sure very little will be learned until after 1st Jan 2021...

So why waste our time day after day with your continuous lefty propaganda...

It really is daft....????

I'll have you know I can use either hand - lefty or righty.

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

But mature democracies with a codified constitution do not let you make major constitutional   changes that will affect the population for generations to come on a small simple majority - some sort of supermajority is required. Otherwise you end up with exactly what we have now, a country split down the middle with one half feelling disenfranchised.

I suspect, when this debacle is all over the UK will end up with some sort of codified constitution, not only because of the vote, but because of the way the Tories are carrying on in power, by ignoring conventions and using they power to enrich their friends.  

Your envy is beginning to show chap....????

• Like 1