What Was The Last Farang Food You Cooked?

Brewster67

I can cook but don't like to, came here 15 years ago and my last meal was either a Chinky takeaway or fish & chips.

My wife cooks all sorts of food for me don't know what you mean by farang food either.

Before marriage nuking tv dinners and using a toaster or grill was my single mans survival. ????

I only cook when I am by myself, the rest of the time my GF cooks for me.

This is kaow pat goong, rice with shrimp and vegetables. Some egg in there as well, very tasty.  If I'm off topic, suck it up princess.

IMG20200612191834.jpg

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I think you are really talking about Cottage Pie made with minced beef. Shepard's Pie is with lamb. Wonder what it would be called made with pork.....Porker's Pie?   PML

Is making it called cottaging? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pinto beans with ham hocks I smoked myself.  Pan of corn bread, diced onions and hot sauce to eat with the beans. Put em on low in the slow cooker for about 7 hours.  I was surprised, folks in the village actual ate some and liked it.

Good topic, has given me some new food ideas.

Edited by Saraburi121
Spell check
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:
12 hours ago, dddave said:

I disagree.  Stews, soups and casseroles are often improved by a few days storage or freezing and being reheated.  Especially true for tomato sauces for pasta. 

A real italian pasta sauce is supposed to be put in a bucket and then in a bigger form with ice for cooling down after it is made. That´s because it´s better to re-heat cold pasta suace that is freshly made. Freezing it and re-heating is a totally different ball game that gives a negative result instead.

Got to agree. Anything that has been frozen and thawed out will taste the same as it did before being chucked in the freezer. We didn't have a fridge back in the 1960's and the leftover stews, broths, soups, etc., were left covered in the pantry or larder overnight. The second day's reheated serving was always better and a third days serving was sublime... if there was any left. However, in the short but warm summers in Scotland, whatever was left over after the second serving usually went out to feed the pigs and chickens as it would be 'off' if kept any longer.

I usually cook once a week, last menu was apricot chicken with mashed potato, can’t find the ingredients I use anywhere in Thailand so I buy up bulk when I visit Australia.

20 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Gordon Ramsay and Gary Rhodes will both tell you that stew is better the day after, and Ramsay has three Michelin Stars... How many Michelin Stars do YOU have?

Having watched probably thousands of hours of the Food Channel, over the years and just about every food show ramsay ever made, i can safely say as a home cook, I have learned from the best. This isn't a pssing contest, it is a light-hearted thread aimed at the 99% non-chefs who cook at home for their own gratification.

Gary Rhodes will not tell you anything these days, and Gordon Ramsay says 'of course f..king stew is f..king better the next f..king day' !   PML

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Having lived in Thailand 10 years, I used to eat 90% Thai and 10% Western now it is the other way round and cook my own food, my slow cooker from England is a god sent, never eat beef, 5 a day fruit and vegetables, feel more healthy for it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I only cook when I am by myself, the rest of the time my GF cooks for me.

This is kaow pat goong, rice with shrimp and vegetables. Some egg in there as well, very tasty.  If I'm off topic, suck it up princess.

IMG20200612191834.jpg

Someone has ate the shrimps and left the shells.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Ive flushed the Bog on better looking stuff.

46 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:
50 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

If I ate Thai food it would really grind my gears having the tails left on the prawns, Luckily I don't.

Funny how tastes differ as I see a delicious meal and you guys see something else. I'd be more offended by the can of Archa.

Kum Bah Yah America...

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1

I bulk cook once per week last week it was chicken casserole I then divide it into 6 ice cream tubs and freeze it . Today I am cooking chicken masala it gives me a choice of two items so I can alternate each day if I want if I don’t want either I go to my local Thai eating house and eat Thai food I am currently living a hermits life as my wife is stuck in the U.K. due to the virus and BA have just cancelled her July flight 

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, peleid said:

Having lived in Thailand 10 years, I used to eat 90% Thai and 10% Western now it is the other way round and cook my own food, my slow cooker from England is a god sent, never eat beef, 5 a day fruit and vegetables, feel more healthy for it

Me Too!

My excitement for Thai food wore off in the first two years.

Bread with raspberry and blackberry jam for lunch today, I made them both yesterday.

(I reuse an old jam jar, my jam is better that the original shop-bought)

IMG_20200629_114322.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Funny how tastes differ as I see a delicious meal and you guys see something else. I'd be more offended by the can of Archa.

Kum Bah Yah America...

I dont know what Archa is but leaving the tails on prawns is 100%  laziness.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not sure what you're seeing, but I'm seeing some tasty looking shrimps.

I can see them now EVENKEEL. I don't eat shrimps unless I'm eating alone.

Notice the 5 of spades!!!! Very synonymous for Isaan.

IMG20200612191834.jpg

Edited 16 hours ago by Lacessit
  •  

• Haha 1

I like doing bacon in the airfryer, then pouring off the fat to help improve the gravy for dinner with roast chicken/veg and mashed spuds.

Bacon/sausage with eggs maybe 5 mornings per week.

• Like 1

I cooked scotch eggs as they cannot be gotten here. Like a scotch egg with mayonaise and a mug of tea in the morning. Simple breakfast. Have another batch in the making. Maybe not farang food but do like Turkish Imam Byyildi so I leaened how to cook and made it several times now and it is as good as the restaurant version. Great with pitta bread or rice. Vegatarian also. Yum Yum!