What Was The Last Farang Food You Cooked?

Brewster67

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Funny how tastes differ as I see a delicious meal and you guys see something else. I'd be more offended by the can of Archa.

Kum Bah Yah America...

I'm more offended that someone is playing cards for satang coins!

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2020 at 9:09 AM, Denim said:

Liver and bacon in onion gravy with peas and mashed potato. Even the wife thought it very tasty.

Not dissimilar to myself - liver and fried onions, small "soup" potatoes, carrots, cabbage, leeks, mange-tout and thick brown gravy. (all purchased from MAKRO). I cook all my own food "farang" style. 

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

the other day I found real pork sausages ( not the muck that Thais call sausages ) in Makro. So bought some and cooked them with fried eggs and french fries.

Yeah, from TGM Thai-German Meats. I was in Makro this morning and they were sold out. I eat them on a bun with sauerkraut, pickled peppers, and mustard, just like we eat bratwurst in Wisconsin. These TGM sausages are pretty low-fat compared with the Wisconsin ones. 

post 150, hello

why a pair of boots?
I do not go fishing for crayfish or salmon.
A good pair of hiking or mountain shoes is enough to jump the sheep. LOL

that said, well done for all these recipes and as the meals are always convivial, many have avoided sending them to the head.
Like what, huh.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Their back legs go in your welly's ....... that wouldn't work with hiking boots/trainers.

You've obviously never spent any time in Wales.

Easier to just face em off a cliff sometimes.. they resist and back up real good !!

3 minutes ago, sirocco said:

post 143, hello

well, homemade jam, it saves us from eating all the additives and too much sugar.
Are there raspberry and blackberry shrubs in Thailand?
The bread is made, too, "homemade"?

Hit the qoute button on the post you are replying to mate, works a treat when you want to reply to someones post.

qoute.jpg.5a6b454c83733b90d85a316b369de447.jpg

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

no, not in Wales,
but in countries where there were a lot of sheep, both in the mountains and in the plains, yes.
Well, sneakers are not made for the mountains or for rock climbing.
I use it for walking or ball games (not soccer, huh)

14 minutes ago, sirocco said:

well, homemade jam, it saves us from eating all the additives and too much sugar.
Are there raspberry and blackberry shrubs in Thailand?
The bread is made, too, "homemade"?

No, but Makro sells 1Kg bags of frozen raspberries and frozen blackberries, afraid you've gotta use at least 30% sugar, that's what preserves the fruit.

Jam, raspberries, blackberries and sugar in a Pyrex bowl in the microwave.... jam 15 minutes later, leave to set overnight.

Bread, comes out of my bread machine, just pour in flour, water, yeast, sugar, oil, salt and press the start button .. bread 3hrs 20 mins later. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

POST 165, thank you,
I know it, but I cannot, because by taking again the text which is in English, this one is transformed into my mother tongue.
My computer is very "special"
But I had already had this conversation, with a moderator, a few years ago who reproached me for writing in my language.
Since then, I have not resumed messages.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:35 PM, Amusements said:

Last night I had my favorite...Beans on toast! (Brooks beans and local bakery bread).

Have seen them in the supermarket. How do they shape up compared to Heinz Baked Beans? Similar?

1 minute ago, sirocco said:

POST 165, thank you,
I know it, but I cannot, because by taking again the text which is in English, this one is transformed into my mother tongue.
My computer is very "special"
But I had already had this conversation, with a moderator, a few years ago who reproached me for writing in my language.
Since then, I have not resumed messages.

Fair enough, I find your method of replying to some one annoy so will put you on ignore so I dont see your posts !!

• Sad 2

On 6/28/2020 at 8:53 AM, Brewster67 said:

I know this isn't totally Thailand related, but I am asking as a matter of interest for the community of foreigners living in Thailand.

You mean to say you don't eat western food daily? - Why come here then lol, I probably have Thai food once a month, otherwise its restaurant in the evening, and the wife cooks something from villa mart during the day.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:15 PM, Brewster67 said:

I make my own... There is a shop in the local shopping mall that sells scraps of beef offcuts for about 80 baht a kilo just to get rid of it. It contains about 60% fat and i usually buy 2 kilos. I then put it all into a big pot and boil it up to render out the fat, I cool it in the fridge and all the fat floats to the top and goes hard.

I then pull the fat off the top and put it in a bowl in the fridge, and then return the beef to the hob for another boiling and repeat this usually three times and by the time i am done i get around 700 to 800 grams of fat.

I then add flour to 50% of the fat weight and rub the two together and I now have about a kilo of suet which I keep in a sealed bag in the fridge for weeks without problems.

Of course traditional suet uses the hard fat from around the kidneys, but hey... I can't tell the difference once combined with the flour and herbs, I use mostly sage and thyme in my dumplings and I have also had them plain but just as delicious.

Try going to Makro and asking the butcher for some beef fat scraps, he might just give you a bag for cheap. The beef pieces left over after rendering i like to coat with breadcrumbs and fry them off adding a handful of chopped spring onions and sweet chili sauce with a few extra chili flakes.... utterly delicious beer snack.

Thanks for the info. I have often rendered pork fat to use as dripping. I didn't realise that if you mixed with flour you had suet.

I love the idea of your beer snack. Definitely high up on my "to make" list.