Currency Meter ..............again

smedly

I miss having that desktop gadget, but I will post what I have found to be the best alternative for me.  I am not saying it's the best alternative for everyone, but some might like to give it a try.  It's not so different from the OP's work around, just a different combination of software.

I am using the Bluestacks Android Emulator.  I have been using an android emulator for a long time, mainly to run android TV streaming apps on a Windows machine.

I then downloaded the www.xe.com android app onto the Bluestacks emulator.  From there, you can select a base currency and add a list of currencies you would like the exchange rates for.  From install, XE only gives two digit accuracy, but if you go into the settings you can add more accuracy.  I chose 3 digits.

Now, this is where my work around differs slightly to the OP's, and it's through no doing of my own.  With Bluestacks, any app you put on the emulator, it creates a shortcut icon on your Windows desktop.  I deleted all of them, except for the XE Currency Converter icon.   

When I want all my exchange rates, I just click on the XE icon on my windows desktop and it automatically opens the Bluestacks emulator and displays the exchange rates.  It only saves a couple of mouse clicks, but is a slightly faster way to to get to the rates.

The other android emulators I tried do not have this feature.  Like all the emulators, Bluestack. takes some time to load, and is resource hungry.  So I close the progrom after getting the rates, but you could easily minimize it to the task bar and click on it from there throughout a session.  I think XE updates its rate every 60 seconds, so they are real time exchange rates.

I just wish the rates could be on the desktop, like before, and load at start up and refresh every 30 minutes or whatever it was.  It was so handy.  Anyway, the above is the best I could come up with.  

Happy to hear any other work arounds or tweaks.

I will copy this post to the thread I started about the Currency Meter as it has some more work arounds in there as well.

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

I am using the Bluestacks Android Emulator.  I have been using an android emulator for a long time, mainly to run android TV streaming apps on a Windows machine.

as I mentioned earlier - I am now using an android emulator - works great, you need one that supports widgets, acurrency pro (which I have on my phone for years) works perfectly, XE also has widgets but was causing problems with the emulator so I removed the app, I now have pretty much what I had with gadgets and in some ways better

Edited by smedly

Now, this is where my work around differs slightly to the OP's, and it's through no doing of my own.  With Bluestacks, any app you put on the emulator, it creates a shortcut icon on your Windows desktop.  I deleted all of them, except for the XE Currency Converter icon.   

with acurrency widget you don't need to do this - it just updates the widget automatically without hitting any buttons or shortcuts - look at the photo in my OP

If I want to click something on my windows desktop I have url shortcut to google sheets if I need it, I also have an XE tile on windows start that updates continuously if I want it.......................yes there is an XE Windows app but it is broken right now - no connectivity 

Untijjjtled.jpg

Edited by smedly

On 7/12/2020 at 4:09 PM, smedly said:

with acurrency widget you don't need to do this - it just updates the widget automatically without hitting any buttons or shortcuts - look at the photo in my OP

If I want to click something on my windows desktop I have url shortcut to google sheets if I need it, I also have an XE tile on windows start that updates continuously if I want it.......................yes there is an XE Windows app but it is broken right now - no connectivity 

Untijjjtled.jpg

I have looked at some reviews of the emulator you are using.  Many of them mention a cryptominer will come with the install, also it uses a lot of resources.  

Bluestacks also uses a lot of resources.  How are your finding its use of your RAM?  

Do you get it to launch on start up and minimize on the desktop?

Edited by KhunHeineken

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I have looked at some reviews of the emulator you are using.  Many of them mention a cryptominer will come with the install, also it uses a lot of resources.  

Bluestacks also uses a lot of resources.  How are your finding its use of your RAM?  

Do you get it to launch on start up and minimize on the desktop?

yes I looked into those reports and found no evidence of it on my system

for now I just manually start - my PC gets a reboot about 2x a week so no issue, resource usage is light, no need to minimise it just sits on the desktop much like gadgets do

I have gadgets running again and for now will keep it as a back up

On 7/14/2020 at 1:35 PM, smedly said:

yes I looked into those reports and found no evidence of it on my system

for now I just manually start - my PC gets a reboot about 2x a week so no issue, resource usage is light, no need to minimise it just sits on the desktop much like gadgets do

I have gadgets running again and for now will keep it as a back up

I see the Currency Meter with the Google Finance tweak is functioning again.  It's a very handy desktop gadget.

If the time comes when it will not work, your alternative is good, and I will use it.  

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 and upgraded to a SSD.  I can't get the gadget working on that machine.  I can't copy the Currency Meter files on a USB and then run it on the machine with the fresh install. 

When I install the Currency Meter on the fresh install, the "shell" appears with no currencies, but I can not locate the js file to do the Google Finance tweak.  

I'll post the same question on the thread I started, but has anyone recently installed the Currency Meter, from scratch, either on a brand new machine, or after a fresh install of Windows 10, and then did the tweak from there?

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I see the Currency Meter with the Google Finance tweak is functioning again.  It's a very handy desktop gadget.

If the time comes when it will not work, your alternative is good, and I will use it.  

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 and upgraded to a SSD.  I can't get the gadget working on that machine.  I can't copy the Currency Meter files on a USB and then run it on the machine with the fresh install. 

When I install the Currency Meter on the fresh install, the "shell" appears with no currencies, but I can not locate the js file to do the Google Finance tweak.  

I'll post the same question on the thread I started, but has anyone recently installed the Currency Meter, from scratch, either on a brand new machine, or after a fresh install of Windows 10, and then did the tweak from there?

there is no reason why it won't work, I completely removed gadgets and did a fresh setup - no issues 

if you need the files I could probably zip them up for you and send them in a PM

There are a few options in windows you need to enable to allow installation of certain files, also there is a newer version of gadgets which I would not recommend  - stick with the older one dated 2015 and CM1.4

the js files are located in C:/users/youruser/appdata/local/microsoft/windows sidebar

you need to enable explorer to see protected system files and hidden files folders in view options 

I can also send you the js file, all you will need to do is add your own Google sheets CSV URL

Edited by smedly

19 hours ago, smedly said:

you need to enable explorer to see protected system files and hidden files folders in view options 

Thanks smedly. 

I checked "show hidden files" but had the "Hide Windows Protected Files" or whatever it is, checked by default.  This is why I searched and searched but couldn't find the files for the gadget to add the Google Finance code.

Once unchecked, i could locate the gadget files.  I though the "show hidden files" meant ALL hidden files will be displayed, but not the case.   

I haven't got it working yet, put pretty sure I can.  I'll try later, or tomorrow.  

Edited by KhunHeineken

8 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks smedly. 

I checked "show hidden files" but had the "Hide Windows Protected Files" or whatever it is, checked by default.  This is why I searched and searched but couldn't find the files for the gadget to add the Google Finance code.

Once unchecked, i could locate the gadget files.  I though the "show hidden files" meant ALL hidden files will be displayed, but not the case.   

I haven't got it working yet, put pretty sure I can.  I'll try later, or tomorrow.  

copy my js file straight into the CM 1.4 folder and open it and add your own google sheet url and you're good to go

On 7/12/2020 at 11:27 AM, KhunHeineken said:

I just wish the rates could be on the desktop, like before, and load at start up and refresh every 30 minutes or whatever it was. 

Cannot you just open a web page on the desktop and see the forex rates changing every second like most people? Will consume less computer resources than having an Android emulator on the go!

XE.com - you can set up "alerts" for when a currency reaches a desired value and they send you an email.

I have one set up for GBP and Thai Baht.

I doubt I'll ever get an alert email though.  ????

I would like a desktop widget for windows 10, but no luck.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:54 AM, smedly said:

copy my js file straight into the CM 1.4 folder and open it and add your own google sheet url and you're good to go

I had the Currency Meter working on another machine.  I copied the js file on that machine, and then replaced the js file in the Currency Meter software and got it working.

It's good to know the Currency Meter can be installed on new machines, or after a fresh install.  

I've kept the js file on a USB stick for future Currency Meter installs.

I'm not sure why it stopped working for a while, but good to have it working again.

The step I was missing was unchecking a box in Windows 10 that hides files.  

Thanks again.  

8 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Cannot you just open a web page on the desktop and see the forex rates changing every second like most people? Will consume less computer resources than having an Android emulator on the go!

i can do that, but it would require repeating the process five times, for the five currencies I like to monitor.  

i can do that, but it would require repeating the process five times, for the five currencies I like to monitor.  

I don't get you guys, XE has a web page and most people have a browser window open most, if not all the time. You can pop your favorite currencies ( I have all the five major ones) into the window and it updates every 60 seconds. It doesn't get any easier than that!

xe screen.jpg

Edited by mosan
Add XE browser window screen shot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 12:05 AM, mosan said:

I don't get you guys, XE has a web page and most people have a browser window open most, if not all the time. You can pop your favorite currencies ( I have all the five major ones) into the window and it updates every 60 seconds. It doesn't get any easier than that!

xe screen.jpg

What you have in your screen shot actually wasn't working a few weeks ago when the Currency Meter went offline.  

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

What you have in your screen shot actually wasn't working a few weeks ago when the Currency Meter went offline.  

Seriously, I use XE dot com on a daily basis and I'd bet my paycheck it hasn't been down for more than a few minutes in the last 10 years or so... 

And how long does it take to turn your computer on and bring up a web page?  Come on man!

Something tells me you've never been to the site - updates automatically every 60 seconds and the major currencies are all preloaded.

Edited by mosan
Clarity

1 hour ago, mosan said:

Seriously, I use XE dot com on a daily basis and I'd bet my paycheck it hasn't been down for more than a few minutes in the last 10 years or so... 

And how long does it take to turn your computer on and bring up a web page?  Come on man!

Something tells me you've never been to the site - updates automatically every 60 seconds and the major currencies are all preloaded.

I have had the XE app on my android phone for years.  

I kept the XE app on the android emulator on my Windows machine in case the desktop gadget fails again, so I have both.

I simply prefer the gadget on the home screen.   

• 2 weeks later...