Currency Meter ..............again

smedly

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I had a look at Rainmeter.  Setting it up for currency conversion looks a little difficult.  Or, am I missing something?

I have little need to desktop displays of Forex, but it you must I just tried this link ( DeviantArt link below) and it works straight out the box if you install latest Rainmeter first. It gets the rates from ino dot com.

43 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I have little need to desktop displays of Forex, but it you must I just tried this link ( DeviantArt link below) and it works straight out the box if you install latest Rainmeter first. It gets the rates from ino dot com.

Looks OK to me, but how do I get it?  

47 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

but how do I get it?  

Click on the link, follow the get Skin link and it takes you to the rapidgator share files for CurrencyMarkets_1.0.zip and downloaded using free option?? Unzip the skin and load into Rainmeter.

Maybe there are other sites offering this skin as well, I haven't looked. Its all open source so free to share.

Just now, Hamus Yaigh said:

Click on the link, follow the get Skin link and it takes you to the rapidgator share files for CurrencyMarkets_1.0.zip and downloaded using free option?? Unzip the skin and load into Rainmeter.

Maybe there are other sites offering this skin as well, I haven't looked. Its all open source so free to share.

Ok.  Thanks. I'll give it a try soon.  

On 11/25/2020 at 7:40 PM, Hamus Yaigh said:

Thanks for you help.

I had to watch a few tutorials, and Google for some more information, then fumbled around a little bit, but finally got it working on my desktop. 

The widget is good, but unfortunately, the ino.com website, where I gather this widget draws its data from, doesn't convert Vietnam Dong and Cambodian Riel.  I went for the 8 exchange widget and all others work, but next to VND and KHY it is blank.   This is not a big issue, but I did like to have all the South East Asia currencies because before corona virus, I would travel around a lot.  

Seems like you need some knowledge of coding, because I simply tried to resize the widget, but there is no provision for that.

I believe Google Finance has changed their URL.  I'm wondering if this can somehow be changed in the old Currency Meter to bring it back to life again.     

On 6/28/2020 at 9:17 AM, smedly said:

This popular gadget has stopped again after a recent windows update - tried some very radical moves to get it working again but although I had it running for a couple of days it stopped updating again - I gave up on the gadget solution and removed it completely, too much time spent while MS seems determined to block it.

So I took a completely different approach

Since everything being offered by gadgets is easily provided on my android phone with various apps and widgets hassle free and stable I decided to explore using an android emulator and loading the widgets I use on my phone - sort of similar to having a gadgets area on my desktop, I started with an emulator call "andy" as it seemed to be the most functional for what I wanted and included the ability to use widgets, it is working very well indeed 

I used the same apps I have on my phone and loaded them through PS onto the emulated phone - I use an app called "Currency Pro" which allows you to put currency widgets on your phone homescreen and is working great, I also loaded several other apps that I use and it is all working swimmingly 

So I now have a small window on my desktop a bit like gadgets showing me all the information I want to see 

So far so good 

here is a screenshot of the actual emulator on my desktop, you can load anything you want on there from the playstore just like you would on your android phone and it works pretty much 100%

Untitled.jpg

I use manager magazine, it's a German site which shows currency and stocks in real time.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:33 AM, KhunHeineken said:

where I gather this widget draws its data from, doesn't convert Vietnam Dong and Cambodian Riel.  I went for the 8 exchange widget and all others work, but next to VND and KHY it is blank.

You must have a lot of time on your hands if you want to see the Cambodian Riel (KHR not KHY) change value on your desktop?! lol.

That said both the VND and KHR are on the Ino site and work with the Rainmeter skin, so try again I suggest. I tried them against USD and no issues.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:28 PM, Hamus Yaigh said:

You must have a lot of time on your hands if you want to see the Cambodian Riel (KHR not KHY) change value on your desktop?! lol.

That said both the VND and KHR are on the Ino site and work with the Rainmeter skin, so try again I suggest. I tried them against USD and no issues.

I know Cambodia runs on a dual currency system, USD and KHR.  Before covid-19 I would travel around South East Asia a lot, so it was handy to all the currencies on the desktop.

You are correct, VND and KHR will exchange against USD on the currency rainmeter, but not against the AUD, which is my base currency, but I thank you for your assistance with it. 

The currency rainmeter works well.