BANGKOK
nomad2019

New Health Insurance - the facts

Hi

Rumours are running wild regarding the rules on medical insurance and quarantine etc. 

If toursits are to return, and when, what exactly is the minimum requirements. 

Does anyone know how much this health insurance is going to cost and what companies are offerring it,  my guess is that i certainly will not get it it as im over 50 with a quite serious underlying medical condition. 

My mates back home seem to think theyll be flocking back here in numbers soon enough,  how wrong they are! 

Just my view 🙏🙏🙏

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

I received a form,  from Thai Consulate in Dubai (Emb Announcement on- spouse children )

Section 5 mentions” a copy of valid health insurance covering all expenditures of medical treatment, including COVID-19 with the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD  

The form will be forwarded to the Ministry of foreign affairs if the kingdom of Thailand for consideration with relevant that authorities on a case by case basis, taking in account urgency and humanitarian reasons.   

Emb Announcement on- spouse &children.pdf

Edited by bolt
Edit
  • Thanks 2

I'm in the same boat---can't leave because it is too hard to come back. Having to have virus check and "fit to fly" checkup 72 hrs before flight! Its not going to be that easy and then you have to do it again if your flight gets canceled. Also having to have a ticket out when you live here. They need to make some changes for those of us on Marriage Visas/extensions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

how much this health insurance is going to cost

I have checked on travel insurance.  The cheapest $100,000 insurance covering covid-19, about $800 for 5 months with a $5000 deductible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

I have checked on travel insurance.  The cheapest $100,000 insurance covering covid-19, about $800 for 5 months with a $5000 deductible.

Really, only travel insurance @ $800 for 5 months? Wow. Who writes that policy. I am definitely not going anywhere out of this country now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Really, only travel insurance @ $800 for 5 months? Wow. Who writes that policy. I am definitely not going anywhere out of this country now. 

plug in the numbers....55 years old, not american traveling ex-usa for 3 weeks, $100k cover, 0 deductible.  cost is a whopping $96.  choose $5k deductible and cover is only $44.

International Covid19 medical coverage by Safe Travels International Cost Saver insurance

• This plan is available for international travelers traveling outside their home country not to the USA.
  • This is a pay and claim plan.

Disclaimer:

* Safe Travels International insurance covers COVID-19 subject to the terms and conditions of the policy normal limits and policy conditions including pre-ex, so if you already have the virus - it will not cover you. If you are in the incubation period when you buy, it will be considered pre-existing condition.
* Testing for COVID-19 will be covered under your policy if you are sick, are referred by a medical practitioner and it is carried out at an approved facility, subject to the terms and conditions in your policy.
* In the event that a test proves positive and requires treatment, members can be assured that all associated treatment costs would be covered under the normal benefit limits and terms of their policy.

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/safe-travels-international-cost-saver.asp

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

plug in the numbers....55 years old, not american traveling ex-usa for 3 weeks, $100k cover, 0 deductible.  cost is a whopping $96.  choose $5k deductible and cover is only $44.

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/safe-travels-international-cost-saver.asp

Thanks for posting this!  So that 100.000 US $ covid-insurance required to re-enter Thailand is really quite affordable and should not be an obstacle, and surely if you take it for a short period of time as you did.

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for posting this!  So that 100.000 US $ covid-insurance required to re-enter Thailand is really quite affordable and should not be an obstacle, and surely if you take it for a short period of time as you did.

The cost to a 70 year old, including $5,000 deductible, is almost USD 2,000 for one year of coverage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trillian said:

The cost to a 70 year old, including $5,000 deductible, is almost USD 2,000 for one year of coverage.

I will surely take a look into this.  But have not read anywhere that a 1-year policy is required, if so you are of course correct and it's far from cheap.

But if you can subscribe to such a policy just for the minimum time needed, it seems quite affordable.  Anyone knows the actual minimum time required for such covid-19 insurance to meet the thai re-entry requirement?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I will surely take a look into this.  But have not read anywhere that a 1-year policy is required, if so you are of course correct and it's far from cheap.

But if you can subscribe to such a policy just for the minimum time needed, it seems quite affordable.  Anyone knows the actual minimum time required for such covid-19 insurance to meet the thai re-entry requirement?

Point take, $167 for 100k coverage for 1 month, that's more appealing.

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Just checked for my age-category (63 years). 

A 1-month covid-19 insurance with 100.000 US $ coverage and 5.000 US $ deductible, would cost 81.22 US $, using Safe Travels International Cost Saver insurance.

Now the only question remaining is whether there is a minimum time requirement for such covid-19 insurance to meet the thai re-entry requirement?

image.png.b0caabd7b290c04763187c2cce121d33.png

image.png

• Thanks 2

You have to have the insurance for the full time you are in Thailand shown with a ticket out.