New Health Insurance - the facts

nomad2019

Hi

Rumours are running wild regarding the rules on medical insurance and quarantine etc. 

If toursits are to return, and when, what exactly is the minimum requirements. 

Does anyone know how much this health insurance is going to cost and what companies are offerring it,  my guess is that i certainly will not get it it as im over 50 with a quite serious underlying medical condition. 

My mates back home seem to think theyll be flocking back here in numbers soon enough,  how wrong they are! 

Just my view ????????????

• Sad 2

I received a form,  from Thai Consulate in Dubai (Emb Announcement on- spouse children )

Section 5 mentions” a copy of valid health insurance covering all expenditures of medical treatment, including COVID-19 with the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD  

The form will be forwarded to the Ministry of foreign affairs if the kingdom of Thailand for consideration with relevant that authorities on a case by case basis, taking in account urgency and humanitarian reasons.   

Emb Announcement on- spouse &children.pdf

Edited by bolt
Edit
  • Thanks 2

I'm in the same boat---can't leave because it is too hard to come back. Having to have virus check and "fit to fly" checkup 72 hrs before flight! Its not going to be that easy and then you have to do it again if your flight gets canceled. Also having to have a ticket out when you live here. They need to make some changes for those of us on Marriage Visas/extensions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

I have checked on travel insurance.  The cheapest $100,000 insurance covering covid-19, about $800 for 5 months with a $5000 deductible.

Really, only travel insurance @ $800 for 5 months? Wow. Who writes that policy. I am definitely not going anywhere out of this country now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Really, only travel insurance @ $800 for 5 months? Wow. Who writes that policy. I am definitely not going anywhere out of this country now. 

plug in the numbers....55 years old, not american traveling ex-usa for 3 weeks, $100k cover, 0 deductible.  cost is a whopping $96.  choose $5k deductible and cover is only $44.

International Covid19 medical coverage by Safe Travels International Cost Saver insurance

• This plan is available for international travelers traveling outside their home country not to the USA.
  • This is a pay and claim plan.

Disclaimer:

* Safe Travels International insurance covers COVID-19 subject to the terms and conditions of the policy normal limits and policy conditions including pre-ex, so if you already have the virus - it will not cover you. If you are in the incubation period when you buy, it will be considered pre-existing condition.
* Testing for COVID-19 will be covered under your policy if you are sick, are referred by a medical practitioner and it is carried out at an approved facility, subject to the terms and conditions in your policy.
* In the event that a test proves positive and requires treatment, members can be assured that all associated treatment costs would be covered under the normal benefit limits and terms of their policy.

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/safe-travels-international-cost-saver.asp

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

plug in the numbers....55 years old, not american traveling ex-usa for 3 weeks, $100k cover, 0 deductible.  cost is a whopping $96.  choose $5k deductible and cover is only $44.

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/safe-travels-international-cost-saver.asp

Thanks for posting this!  So that 100.000 US $ covid-insurance required to re-enter Thailand is really quite affordable and should not be an obstacle, and surely if you take it for a short period of time as you did.

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for posting this!  So that 100.000 US $ covid-insurance required to re-enter Thailand is really quite affordable and should not be an obstacle, and surely if you take it for a short period of time as you did.

The cost to a 70 year old, including $5,000 deductible, is almost USD 2,000 for one year of coverage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trillian said:

The cost to a 70 year old, including $5,000 deductible, is almost USD 2,000 for one year of coverage.

I will surely take a look into this.  But have not read anywhere that a 1-year policy is required, if so you are of course correct and it's far from cheap.

But if you can subscribe to such a policy just for the minimum time needed, it seems quite affordable.  Anyone knows the actual minimum time required for such covid-19 insurance to meet the thai re-entry requirement?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I will surely take a look into this.  But have not read anywhere that a 1-year policy is required, if so you are of course correct and it's far from cheap.

But if you can subscribe to such a policy just for the minimum time needed, it seems quite affordable.  Anyone knows the actual minimum time required for such covid-19 insurance to meet the thai re-entry requirement?

Point take, $167 for 100k coverage for 1 month, that's more appealing.

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Just checked for my age-category (63 years). 

A 1-month covid-19 insurance with 100.000 US $ coverage and 5.000 US $ deductible, would cost 81.22 US $, using Safe Travels International Cost Saver insurance.

Now the only question remaining is whether there is a minimum time requirement for such covid-19 insurance to meet the thai re-entry requirement?

image.png.b0caabd7b290c04763187c2cce121d33.png

image.png

• Thanks 2

I "think" if you are on an Marriage extension, you could get a refundable ticket out dated after your next extension and then cancel both the ticket and insurance. I didn't add in my price quote that I am 73. After returning I would have about 5 months till my next extension.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

You have to have the insurance for the full time you are in Thailand shown with a ticket out.

So that means you would have to subscribe to the covid-19 insurance till the end-date of the permission to stay of your current Visa kept alive by your Re-Entry permit (which can be one to several months, but always shorter than 1-year).

If that's too long (and hence too costly because of the covid-19 insurance) exiting Thailand without a Re-Entry permit would be an option, and returning VisaExempt only necessitating a 30-day covid-19 insurance.  Obviously, you would then have to re-apply for a new Visa at your local IO.

The flight-out will never be a problem, as it's just a matter of booking a fully refundable flight and simply cancelling it once back in Thailand.

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

So that means you would have to subscribe to the covid-19 insurance till the end-date of the permission to stay of your current Visa kept alive by your Re-Entry permit (which can be one to several months, but always shorter than 1-year).

If that's too long (and hence too costly because of the covid-19 insurance) exiting Thailand without a Re-Entry permit would be an option, and returning VisaExempt only necessitating a 30-day covid-19 insurance.  Obviously, you would then have to re-apply for a new Visa at your local IO.

The flight-out will never be a problem, as it's just a matter of booking a fully refundable flight and simply cancelling it once back in Thailand.

I don't think you can come into Thailand with an visaExempt at the moment.

• Like 2

I'm waiting on reply from Thai embassy on my application to enter, and my current insurance is valid til December 31st, so I 'll wait for reply, and report back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

International Covid19 medical coverage by Safe Travels International Cost Saver insurance

• This plan is available for international travelers traveling outside their home country not to the USA.
  • This is a pay and claim plan.

Disclaimer:

* Safe Travels International insurance covers COVID-19 subject to the terms and conditions of the policy normal limits and policy conditions including pre-ex, so if you already have the virus - it will not cover you. If you are in the incubation period when you buy, it will be considered pre-existing condition.
* Testing for COVID-19 will be covered under your policy if you are sick, are referred by a medical practitioner and it is carried out at an approved facility, subject to the terms and conditions in your policy.
* In the event that a test proves positive and requires treatment, members can be assured that all associated treatment costs would be covered under the normal benefit limits and terms of their policy.

Posted just down below your post is OP Peter Denis inquiry. 5k deductible $81.22 per month so 1 yr is $974.64. No age stated so could be quite a bit more. For me I am permanently in Thailand so has to be for 1yr. At some point I will need to do something as for 25 years I have only self funded as easy to do here.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 12:09 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

If western tourists have any sense about them at all they will steer clear of Thailand and holiday in Spain instead. 

nothing here anymore for your average joe from blighty. 

I'm not sure why it makes more sense for westerners to holiday in Spain rather than in Thailand? Perhaps you don't want them to bring the virus here? Keep Thailand safe?

Seems to me the risks are much greater in Spain than here. 

13 minutes ago, nightbird said:

I'm not sure why it makes more sense for westerners to holiday in Spain rather than in Thailand? Perhaps you don't want them to bring the virus here? Keep Thailand safe?

Seems to me the risks are much greater in Spain than here. 

Because its cheaper to go there and the locals are more genuine.

also the beer is better and there are less people looking to scam you at every instant.

do you need any more reasons?

Edited by Liverpoolfan
  • Like 1

I hope the coin has dropped that the covid19 health insurance that is going to be required for entry is a logical extension of the health insurance requirement that was placed on O-A visa extensions recently, in going forward everyone is going to be required to have it.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Posted just down below your post is OP Peter Denis inquiry. 5k deductible $81.22 per month so 1 yr is $974.64. No age stated so could be quite a bit more. For me I am permanently in Thailand so has to be for 1yr. At some point I will need to do something as for 25 years I have only self funded as easy to do here.

well, umm, yeah.  this is travel health insurance, intended more for short-time tourists i think than long-term visa/extension holders.  it's got more bells and whistles than plain vanilla health coverage.   you pay for extra stuff like flight cancellation and lost luggage....would have to check the policy details to know what unnecessary extras you're paying for.  if you're looking to come long time, perhaps better inquire about international health insurance instead of travel insurance.

but anyhoo, i plugged in non-us, traveling outside usa, 55 years, 100k cover, five months july 01-nov30.

no deductible = $638

$5k deductible = $295

i ran the same numbers for one year. 

$5k ded = $703

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trillian said:

I hope the coin has dropped that the covid19 health insurance that is going to be required for entry is a logical extension of the health insurance requirement that was placed on O-A visa extensions recently, in going forward everyone is going to be required to have it.

Sorry, but I see absolutely no relation/link between

- the thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement mandatory when applying for the 1-year extension based on your original Non-Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement,

and this

- covid-19 insurance to re-enter the country.

The latter should actually also be a very temporary one, because if you are not showing any symptoms after 15 days in the country, it is obvious that you do not carry the virus.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think anyone should book a ticket yet as  Thailand is  closed to tourists for the moment., They have not published the exact rules for tourists to enter, regarding,
Who can , and can’t enter ? ( Nationality’s ) 

Is visa exempt still allowed ?
When will the Embassy’s start giving 60 day visas ?
Visas on arrival, and to whom ? 
health certificates ?
Insurance coverage ?

Im giving Thailand a miss this year, but some friends of mine are waiting for the rules before booking flights, which will be more expensive. Many travel experts have advised EU people to stay close to home this year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No decisions have been made at all yet regarding tourism and it certainly does not seem likely to restart soon.

I was waiting for someone to post some FACTS instead of wild guesses!!

Thanks Sheryl  ????