New Health Insurance - the facts

nomad2019

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The latter should actually also be a very temporary one, because if you are not showing any symptoms after 15 days in the country, it is obvious that you do not carry the virus.

The incubation period is unknown however 15 days is not defined there have been cases of 3 and 4 weeks before symptoms showing.

11 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

returning VisaExempt only necessitating a 30-day covid-19 insurance. 

There is no guarantee that visa exempt entry will be permitted and every likelihood that it will not be possible for many/all nationalities in the near future.

5 hours ago, VBF said:
16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No decisions have been made at all yet regarding tourism and it certainly does not seem likely to restart soon.

I was waiting for someone to post some FACTS instead of wild guesses!!

For FACTS, go to https://www.caat.or.th/en/

If on that website it does not say when foreign tourists will again be allowed to enter Thailand, the FACT is that no date or estimated date is available yet.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2020 at 12:22 AM, holy cow cm said:

After just looking at the requirements listed by the thai embassy, it is just asking way too much. Looks like I will never be leaving here again to go anywhere until things change for the less restricted better 

Sadly i agree there are much more easy ways to protect the country while opening some borders or airports. These requirements most can not deal with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Sorry, but I see absolutely no relation/link between

- the thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement mandatory when applying for the 1-year extension based on your original Non-Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement,

and this

- covid-19 insurance to re-enter the country.

The latter should actually also be a very temporary one, because if you are not showing any symptoms after 15 days in the country, it is obvious that you do not carry the virus.

It seems to me that, prior to the corona virus event, Thai Immigration was going down a path to ensure all foreign visitors have medical insurance. That was implemented for O-A retirement visa holders and it had been openly discussed that all visitors might be required to have insurance or that a health tax on arrival might be implemented.

The O-A Retirement related health insurance implementation was contentious but highly visible, many people believed at the time that scheme would be expanded in the future to include other visa categories.  Now along comes the corona virus and a genuine need has arisen for people to have health insurance rather than it just being required as an aide to Thai hospital finances and to avoid government bad debt. I do not believe the Thai government has forgotten about their initial health insurance plan for foreigners and that it will re-emerge in the future, perhaps in a different guise.

Already covid19 insurance is being required by returning expats until the date of their outbound flight rather than just for a (worst case) four week incubation period. It make lots of sense to me that government would build on the covid19 insurance and adjust/expand its implementation in order to achieve their policy goal, it's a perfect excuse that doesn't paint them as bad guys.

Edited by Trillian
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Because its cheaper to go there and the locals are more genuine.

also the beer is better and there are less people looking to scam you at every instant.

do you need any more reasons?

Certainly the beer is better and its cheaper to travel there. Sounds like it would be better to live there, too. Have you considered joining them?

4 hours ago, Trillian said:

It seems to me that, prior to the corona virus event, Thai Immigration was going down a path to ensure all foreign visitors have medical insurance. That was implemented for O-A retirement visa holders and it had been openly discussed that all visitors might be required to have insurance or that a health tax on arrival might be implemented.

The O-A Retirement related health insurance implementation was contentious but highly visible, many people believed at the time that scheme would be expanded in the future to include other visa categories.  Now along comes the corona virus and a genuine need has arisen for people to have health insurance rather than it just being required as an aide to Thai hospital finances and to avoid government bad debt. I do not believe the Thai government has forgotten about their initial health insurance plan for foreigners and that it will re-emerge in the future, perhaps in a different guise.

Already covid19 insurance is being required by returning expats until the date of their outbound flight rather than just for a (worst case) four week incubation period. It make lots of sense to me that government would build on the covid19 insurance and adjust/expand its implementation in order to achieve their policy goal, it's a perfect excuse that doesn't paint them as bad guys.

Thanks for clarifying your initial post.

And indeed you do have a point (several actually). 

But obviously when going that envisioned road, the government will have to reconsider the present monopoly of 'thai IO-approved policies from TGIA associated insurers' only.

Most retirees are not against having to subscribe to decent health-insurance (it's a good and sensible idea), but they quite rightly virulently oppose the present O-A health-insurance scam.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, bolt said:

I received a form,  from Thai Consulate in Dubai (Emb Announcement on- spouse children )

Section 5 mentions” a copy of valid health insurance covering all expenditures of medical treatment, including COVID-19 with the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD  

The form will be forwarded to the Ministry of foreign affairs if the kingdom of Thailand for consideration with relevant that authorities on a case by case basis, taking in account urgency and humanitarian reasons.   

Emb Announcement on- spouse &children.pdfUnavailable

The requirements might change when the Emergency decree is lifted,borders are opened and inbound flights are accepted. That's at least 3 months in the future. 

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

It says until further notice. 

Effectively, yes. The CAAT site can be hard to get to (sometimes) What it currently says here https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/51825  is :

2. Permit for passenger aircraft will be given by the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand for flying over, flying into or out of, and taking off or landing at an international airport in the Kingdom only if the passengers or persons on board are one of the following categories:

1. Thai nationals
  2. Persons with exemption or persons being considered, permitted or invited by the Prime Minister, or the head of responsible persons accountable for resolving state of emergency issues to enter the Kingdom, as necessary. Such consideration, permission or invitation may be subject to specified conditions and time limits.
  3. Non-Thai nationals who are a spouse, parents, or children of a Thai national.
  4. Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid certificate of residence, or permission to take up residence in the Kingdom
  5. Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid work permit or are allowed to work in the Kingdom, including their spouse or children.
  6. Carriers of necessary goods, subject to immediate return after completion.
  7. Crew members who are required to travel into the Kingdom on a mission, and have a specified date and time for return.
  8. Non-Thai nationals who are students of educational institutions approved by Thai authorities, including the parents or guardians of the students.
  9. Non-Thai nationals who are in need of medical treatment in Thailand, and their attendants. However, this shall not include medical treatment for COVID–19.
  10. Individuals in diplomatic missions, consular affairs, international organizations, government representatives, foreign government agencies working in Thailand, or individual in other international agencies as permitted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including their spouse, parents, or children.
  11. Non-Thai nationals who are permitted to enter the Kingdom under a special arrangement with a foreign country.

3. Aircraft and passengers or persons entering the Kingdom under No.2 must comply with the conditions, time limits and rules of the authorized persons under the Thai immigration law, communicable diseases law, air navigation law, and the Emergency Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situation in force, for prevention of the disease and the organization of the number of persons entering Thailand in accordance with the screening capability of the competent officers or the communicable disease control officers, and the arrangement of quarantine facilities.

This notification shall be effective from 1 July B.E. 2563 (2020), 00:01 Thailand local time onwards.

Edited by VBF

Good info in this thread. Thx to all posters. I am just now exploring the Cert of Entry hoops to jump through. I flew back to USA (from home in Thailand) in March for biz meetings and now find myself stuck here (USA) and away from my Thai wife and family.  

I plan to apply online for Cert of Entry through WashingtonDC Thai Embassy. I have a current Thai spousal visa w multiple reentries good till end of 2020, but that and 20 Baht will get me a popsicle. #1 hoop for Cert of Entry looks to be health insurance req. Any further info to following Qs is appreciated:

1. Any insurance carrier recommendations (for USA citizen)?

2. Do insurance carriers require you to submit, as prerequisite to coverage, a medical report showing negative COVID19 test result?

3. After you submit all of the online docs required, how quickly (or slowly) does Thai embassy typically give the approval or rejection notice? Trying to look at flights/dates that make sense and don't want to jump the gun on booking w/o approval for entry.

Thanks in advance for any feedback from those who've been through this or presently 'in process' 

On 6/29/2020 at 2:36 AM, ChouDoufu said:

plug in the numbers....55 years old, not american traveling ex-usa for 3 weeks, $100k cover, 0 deductible.  cost is a whopping $96.  choose $5k deductible and cover is only $44.

International Covid19 medical coverage by Safe Travels International Cost Saver insurance

• This plan is available for international travelers traveling outside their home country not to the USA.
  • This is a pay and claim plan.

Disclaimer:

* Safe Travels International insurance covers COVID-19 subject to the terms and conditions of the policy normal limits and policy conditions including pre-ex, so if you already have the virus - it will not cover you. If you are in the incubation period when you buy, it will be considered pre-existing condition.
* Testing for COVID-19 will be covered under your policy if you are sick, are referred by a medical practitioner and it is carried out at an approved facility, subject to the terms and conditions in your policy.
* In the event that a test proves positive and requires treatment, members can be assured that all associated treatment costs would be covered under the normal benefit limits and terms of their policy.

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/safe-travels-international-cost-saver.asp

I was checking out this insurance and I noticed this flaw, at least in my situation. I am a US citizen in a neighbouring Asian country, but I guess, that is an issue for this insurance company.

ELIGIBILITY

Safe Travels International Cost Saver is for Non US Citizens and Non US Residents while traveling outside their Home Country, but not visiting the United States. It can provide coverage for you, your spouse/domestic partner/traveling companion and dependent children/grandchildren. This plan does not cover USA.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:33 AM, bunnydrops said:

I have checked on travel insurance.  The cheapest $100,000 insurance covering covid-19, about $800 for 5 months with a $5000 deductible.

So a little more than $5 a day? Cheap. Who is offering that policy? That's 1 drink. Ooops, sorry I mentioned giving up a drink.

1 hour ago, eastcst84 said:

I was checking out this insurance and I noticed this flaw, at least in my situation. I am a US citizen in a neighbouring Asian country, but I guess, that is an issue for this insurance company.

ELIGIBILITY

Safe Travels International Cost Saver is for Non US Citizens and Non US Residents while traveling outside their Home Country, but not visiting the United States. It can provide coverage for you, your spouse/domestic partner/traveling companion and dependent children/grandchildren. This plan does not cover USA.

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/safe-travels-international-cost-saver.asp

I am a non-US citizen and will not be visiting USA, so fully eligible to subscribe to the covid-19 policy they offer.  For my age (63) would be less than 90 US $ for 1 month < 100.000 US $ coverage with a 5.000 US $ deductible >. 

Sounds good!  But when clicking the option 'Buy It' the travel destination says USA and is greyed-out, without option to change it.

Looks like a website error, so will contact them, enquire and post a follow-up here.

>> Definitely a website error because when 'playing' with the options I was able to get a quote from Thailand to Multiple Countries (instead of the greyed-out USA).

But was not able to reproduce that when trying again.

So would be worthwhile to contact them, as they definitely provid covid-19 insurance policies for periods of 5 days to 1 year for Non US citizens that are not visiting USA.

Edited by Peter Denis

9 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

they also have policies for us citizens.  i entered 60 years, resident of arizona, $100k cover, $1k deductible, travel to thailand for 30 days in august.  cost is $104.

https://americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/buy-safe-travels-outbound-cost-saver.asp

**edit**

i haven't purchased this insurance yet.  i'm currently stuck in china with the thai gf, preparing for the day we'll be let back in.

Thanks. After some reworking I did notice there is an option!

On 6/28/2020 at 3:33 PM, bolt said:

I received a form,  from Thai Consulate in Dubai (Emb Announcement on- spouse children )

Section 5 mentions” a copy of valid health insurance covering all expenditures of medical treatment, including COVID-19 with the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD  

The form will be forwarded to the Ministry of foreign affairs if the kingdom of Thailand for consideration with relevant that authorities on a case by case basis, taking in account urgency and humanitarian reasons.   

Emb Announcement on- spouse &children.pdfUnavailable

self deleted

Edited by simple1

4 hours ago, PatrickC said:

Did you get a reply from the embassy?

nothing yet, the holidays are coming up

The Royal Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi will be closed in July 2020 on the following dates;

1. Sunday 5 July 2020  -  on the occasion of Asarnhabucha Day 
2. Monday 6 July 2020  -  on the occasion of Buddhist Lent Day          
3. Tuesday 28 July 2020  -  on the occasion of His Majesty the King’s Birthday Anniversar

4 minutes ago, bolt said:

The Royal Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi will be closed in July 2020 on the following dates;

3. Tuesday 28 July 2020  -  on the occasion of His Majesty the King’s Birthday Anniversar

Did you get replies on previous queries to the Abu Dhabi thai Embassy?

Reason I ask is that two years ago, I needed a simple confirmation YES/NO from the thai Embassy in Brussels and in spite of 4 e-mail reminders they never answered me.

Seems to be somewhat of a thai thing not to respond on questions by mail/e-mail.

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Did you get replies on previous queries to the Abu Dhabi thai Embassy?

Reason I ask is that two years ago, I needed a simple confirmation YES/NO from the thai Embassy in Brussels and in spite of 4 e-mail reminders they never answered me.

Seems to be somewhat of a thai thing not to respond on questions by mail/e-mail.

yes i got a reply, and they attached the forms i need to submit my application, they also have a chat feature on facebook messenger, so far response has been ok

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bolt said:

July 27, Songkran replacement holiday????

On 7/1/2020 at 2:16 PM, ChouDoufu said:

they also have policies for us citizens.  i entered 60 years, resident of arizona, $100k cover, $1k deductible, travel to thailand for 30 days in august.  cost is $104.

https://americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/buy-safe-travels-outbound-cost-saver.asp

The American Visitor Insurance website does not work. 
After I had input all the info and a policy was produced, I clicked the buy button, the error message turned out as follow:

Internal Server Error Error 500
The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from completing your request.

I tried several times in different days and finally gave it up. 

2 minutes ago, roadpeople said:

After I had input all the info and a policy was produced, I clicked the buy button, the error message turned out as follow:

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from completing your request.

You are correct that the website is behaving erraticaly.  Page 1 with your quote is alright but when clicking your option of choice followed by Buy It, you can get either the error-message you got or get onto Page 2.  There you encounter the problem that the 'travel destination' is greyed out and cannot be changed.  While fiddling with the options I was able to get it correct, but later when I tried again I was not able to reproduce that again.

>> So it would be best to directly contact them (e.g. with a screenshot of Page 1 with the option of your choice highlighted).

• Sad 1

On 6/29/2020 at 10:47 AM, Peter Denis said:

Just checked for my age-category (63 years). 

A 1-month covid-19 insurance with 100.000 US $ coverage and 5.000 US $ deductible, would cost 81.22 US $, using .

Now the only question remaining is whether there is a minimum time requirement for such covid-19 insurance to meet the thai re-entry requirement?

image.png

I go to the website of "Safe Travels International Cost Saver insurance" (www.trawickinternational.com). I am about to click to pay but no details of the policy can be read. I need to ensure the appearance of the above COVID-19 terms in the insurance policy. 

Where did you find the above "Int'l COVID-19 medical coverage by Safe Travels Int'l Cost Saver Insurance" in pink color box? 

22 minutes ago, roadpeople said:

I go to the website of "Safe Travels International Cost Saver insurance" (www.trawickinternational.com). I am about to click to pay but no details of the policy can be read. I need to ensure the appearance of the above COVID-19 terms in the insurance policy. 

Where did you find the above "Int'l COVID-19 medical coverage by Safe Travels Int'l Cost Saver Insurance" in pink color box? 

I filled in my details on the website

> https://americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/buy-safe-travels-outbound-cost-saver.asp

And that generated the matrix with the premium according to max coverage and deductible.

At the bottom of that matrix-quote you will find that additional information about the covid-19 insurance they offer.

8 hours ago, roadpeople said:

good to know.  i've bookmarked it for use when i have to buy useless insurance with a "covid19" cover when i want to return.  haven't tried to purchase yet.  

what did the company say about that when you contacted them? 

they do respond to emails.  i contacted them about insurance for my thai gf to return as the original link i had was for us citizens only.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 10:57 AM, elgenon said:

So a little more than $5 a day? Cheap. Who is offering that policy? That's 1 drink. Ooops, sorry I mentioned giving up a drink.

I don't really see $800 for a travel insurance as cheap.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

anyone got quotes in UK only

i need fly from UK

CHEERS

maybe likely that thai government will change these ridiculous rules .........

Just because your point of departure is the UK does not affect  what policy you can or should get. The coverage needs to be for Thailand. Basically you have 2 options: (1) a regular expatriate health insurance policy - this will almost always cover COVID and are a good idea if you plan on staying long term in Thailand,.  (2) A shorter term travel policy -  these often will exclude COVID so check carefully.

• Thanks 1

Lots and lots of governments are realising the costs of tourist who end up needing treatment for COVID whilst on holiday.

This new requirement which mentions COVID 19 is to protect the state. Other countries have started the same for example UAE.

I already had another company health insurance, but that was only for $80k and didn’t mention COVID on the certificate.

I’ve now got a COVID-19 cover $100k, for 12 months, my advice is to contact them get a quote and then decide if its worth it.

this is one example, and they'll be a million more out there, so start asking for a quote.

this guy helped me get what i needed, and I'm now due to fly to LOS 1 week today Friday 7th 

it really is "up to you"

Romain Camillo Asia Director

[email protected]

Direct: +33 (0) 1 76 21 10 67

Hong-Kong : +852 (0) 81 92 63 63 | Thailand cell : +66 860 126 275

Skype: romain.aoc.insurancebroker |Line: romainaocasia |Whatsapp: +66 860 126 275

www.aoc-insurancebroker.com www.aoc-expatcare.com