BANGKOK
Marcuss Wings

New motorbike modification rules from August 2020

Posted (edited)

Hi everybody I'm a new member. I looked at a recent post about "Motorbike modification rules in Thailand" on previous mail on this site. This is a topic that has many different opinions because there are many rules and modifications that are not covered or simply overlooked. In a lot of cases they are overlooked by the police officer on duty or at the transport office but the inspector. So when this happens "we" as in "me too" don't know how to follow the rules. This happens at lot with many things in this country, but when it comes to the police wanting to take your bike or asking you for money this is another thing. I have come across some new rules that are supposed to be starting August 2020.   

warning #tæ̀ng
❌ 1. racing cars must be gone in August
❌ 2. Modified car. Must not be found at the end of August. If it is found to prosecute the parents of the base of release, neglect, penalty for 1 months imprisonment and fine from 2,000-10,000 baht.
❌ 3. Found a car without label. Let's check all of them.
❌ 4. Car decoration, modification car without permission to prosecute all charges.
❌ 5. Public relations to warn local car parts shop and car repair shop or all types of car decoration shop.
#th̀xng theī̀yw.. racing car, popular pipe, modify the condition.. friends, brothers and sisters, be careful. Repair shop
Warning the car to decorate... Light and light. Parking

Now this is what I seen on one of the sites of a group that I'm in. Apparently there are 10 rules and maybe this has been condensed down to 5. I don't know. Has anybody seen or heard or know anymore about these changes for 2020.     Thank you
Edited by Marcuss Wings
put a picture
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Where did you find the "new" rules ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Where did you find the "new" rules ?

In a motorcycle group that I'm in, in Thailand.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well that is the picture that was with the supposedly new rules . This is why I placed the post to find out more about it. Or is this site about other things. 

Edited by Marcuss Wings
  • Like 1

Hi Marcuss, you bring up a good point, which modification to your car or bike could be an excuse to get you to pay a fine or worse.

Most here won‘t know, as they don’t have a car or a big bike in Thailand.

In general, if your accessory is an original accessory sold by the manufacturer of your car or bike, then you should be fine. If it is not obvious that it is an original accessory then it might make sense to keep a proof handy, such as a copy of the invoice, or a copy of the manufacturers product description.

Why don‘t you ask in your group for more details and if you get anything specific, please share.

• Like 1

Ok, thank you. I just saw the information on this site from 2014 to 2016 and I knew there was an update and I thought I would share or find information. When I see or hear more I will post it. This information is not only for big bikes it is for smaller bike too.

• Like 1

Just now, Marcuss Wings said:

This information is not only for big bikes it is for smaller bike too.

Reads like cars will be involved too !

Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to the police getting peeved off at all the boy racers (dek waen) who retook the streets as soon as the curfew ended.

While I agree some reasonable restrictions on modifications, especially those that may make the vehicle unsafe are needed, I wonder how far in their interpretation of the law, the police will go?

Getting the racers off the streets is a good thing, but I hope the rest of us don't have to suffer. That said, I wouldn't be impacted as I don't do those kind of modifications; I'm fully legal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Hi Marcuss, you bring up a good point, which modification to your car or bike could be an excuse to get you to pay a fine or worse.

Most here won‘t know, as they don’t have a car or a big bike in Thailand.

In general, if your accessory is an original accessory sold by the manufacturer of your car or bike, then you should be fine. If it is not obvious that it is an original accessory then it might make sense to keep a proof handy, such as a copy of the invoice, or a copy of the manufacturers product description.

Why don‘t you ask in your group for more details and if you get anything specific, please share.

Most members here don't have a car or bike? Sure about that? I would think most expats have at least one, if not both.

I own a car and a small motorcycle. The latter I barely use; when I do, it's just for local travel to go to the market or 7-11. For journeys longer than 5km, I almost always use my car.

Car modification is a huge business here. Cracking down on them is certainly not needed at this time when many businesses are struggling. 

But they should crack down on cars that illegally modify pollution equipment - especially diesel trucks and mazda diesels that have problems with their dpfs - they just remove them. 

Most other mods are just for show - wheels, lowered suspension, etc. They should be able to get an engineering certificate to show the mods are safe. 

What will happen is the rules will go on the books but police wont go out actively fining businesses and drivers..for a while. They they will have random police stops and fine drivers then. They can make more money that way rather than actually enforcing any law.

• Like 2