New motorbike modification rules from August 2020

Hi everybody I'm a new member. I looked at a recent post about "Motorbike modification rules in Thailand" on previous mail on this site. This is a topic that has many different opinions because there are many rules and modifications that are not covered or simply overlooked. In a lot of cases they are overlooked by the police officer on duty or at the transport office but the inspector. So when this happens "we" as in "me too" don't know how to follow the rules. This happens at lot with many things in this country, but when it comes to the police wanting to take your bike or asking you for money this is another thing. I have come across some new rules that are supposed to be starting August 2020.   

warning #tæ̀ng
❌ 1. racing cars must be gone in August
❌ 2. Modified car. Must not be found at the end of August. If it is found to prosecute the parents of the base of release, neglect, penalty for 1 months imprisonment and fine from 2,000-10,000 baht.
❌ 3. Found a car without label. Let's check all of them.
❌ 4. Car decoration, modification car without permission to prosecute all charges.
❌ 5. Public relations to warn local car parts shop and car repair shop or all types of car decoration shop.
#th̀xng theī̀yw.. racing car, popular pipe, modify the condition.. friends, brothers and sisters, be careful. Repair shop
Warning the car to decorate... Light and light. Parking

Now this is what I seen on one of the sites of a group that I'm in. Apparently there are 10 rules and maybe this has been condensed down to 5. I don't know. Has anybody seen or heard or know anymore about these changes for 2020.     Thank you
Edited by Marcuss Wings
put a picture
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Marcuss, you bring up a good point, which modification to your car or bike could be an excuse to get you to pay a fine or worse.

Most here won‘t know, as they don’t have a car or a big bike in Thailand.

In general, if your accessory is an original accessory sold by the manufacturer of your car or bike, then you should be fine. If it is not obvious that it is an original accessory then it might make sense to keep a proof handy, such as a copy of the invoice, or a copy of the manufacturers product description.

Why don‘t you ask in your group for more details and if you get anything specific, please share.

• Like 1

Ok, thank you. I just saw the information on this site from 2014 to 2016 and I knew there was an update and I thought I would share or find information. When I see or hear more I will post it. This information is not only for big bikes it is for smaller bike too.

• Like 1

Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to the police getting peeved off at all the boy racers (dek waen) who retook the streets as soon as the curfew ended.

While I agree some reasonable restrictions on modifications, especially those that may make the vehicle unsafe are needed, I wonder how far in their interpretation of the law, the police will go?

Getting the racers off the streets is a good thing, but I hope the rest of us don't have to suffer. That said, I wouldn't be impacted as I don't do those kind of modifications; I'm fully legal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Hi Marcuss, you bring up a good point, which modification to your car or bike could be an excuse to get you to pay a fine or worse.

Most here won‘t know, as they don’t have a car or a big bike in Thailand.

In general, if your accessory is an original accessory sold by the manufacturer of your car or bike, then you should be fine. If it is not obvious that it is an original accessory then it might make sense to keep a proof handy, such as a copy of the invoice, or a copy of the manufacturers product description.

Why don‘t you ask in your group for more details and if you get anything specific, please share.

Most members here don't have a car or bike? Sure about that? I would think most expats have at least one, if not both.

I own a car and a small motorcycle. The latter I barely use; when I do, it's just for local travel to go to the market or 7-11. For journeys longer than 5km, I almost always use my car.

Car modification is a huge business here. Cracking down on them is certainly not needed at this time when many businesses are struggling. 

But they should crack down on cars that illegally modify pollution equipment - especially diesel trucks and mazda diesels that have problems with their dpfs - they just remove them. 

Most other mods are just for show - wheels, lowered suspension, etc. They should be able to get an engineering certificate to show the mods are safe. 

What will happen is the rules will go on the books but police wont go out actively fining businesses and drivers..for a while. They they will have random police stops and fine drivers then. They can make more money that way rather than actually enforcing any law.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Marcuss Wings said:

The police have been going around to the motorcycle repair shops that sell the aftermarket exhaust and say not to sell them anymore.

On what legal basis would they do that? It is not illegal to sell these afaik.

2 hours ago, Marcuss Wings said:

Hi everybody I'm a new member. I looked at a recent post about "Motorbike modification rules in Thailand" on previous mail on this site. This is a topic that has many different opinions because there are many rules and modifications that are not covered or simply overlooked. In a lot of cases they are overlooked by the police officer on duty or at the transport office but the inspector. So when this happens "we" as in "me too" don't know how to follow the rules. This happens at lot with many things in this country, but when it comes to the police wanting to take your bike or asking you for money this is another thing. I have come across some new rules that are supposed to be starting August 2020.   

The existing laws already cover most relevant modifications. The quoted supposedly "rules" are a google translation as some of it clearly makes no sense. To be honest sounds more like another "crackdown" which is supposed to enforce existing laws. A little bit of action and soon after everything forgotten and back to normal.

Though I do have to note that since the curfew the police are actually trying to stop dek waen here in Phuket, at least the saturday night racers on bypass road. I've seen a police pickup truck stationed with lights on next to their usual meeting place.

• Like 2

It's pretty much impossible to ban 'all modifications' because things from racing stickers to spoilers could be considered 'racing modifications' and let's not forget carbon-fibre lookalike body parts.

Compared to the UK there appear to be too many road users here who go over the top, but within reason it shouldn't be illegal.

20190729_110807.jpg

20200506_181751.jpg

20200517_120311.jpg

20200527_095253.jpg

58 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
1 hour ago, Marcuss Wings said:

The police have been going around to the motorcycle repair shops that sell the aftermarket exhaust and say not to sell them anymore.

On what legal basis would they do that? It is not illegal to sell these afaik.

Most of those shops fit the parts as well, that's the alleged offence, making the modifications.

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Most of those shops fit the parts as well, that's the alleged offence, making the modifications.

Is the modification illegal or usage on public roads? Why wouldn't it be perfectly fine to make a modification and then use the vehicle on a racetrack? It's not a good idea to try to stop the shops from selling or fitting non-street legal exhausts. People would just order from online. And on top these guys have a real incentive to do it as they make money from it. It's much easier to fine the drivers/riders. They have no strong (monetary) reason to do it plus you catch them in the act of cleary breaking the law. And once the demand is low, the shops will adjust. That system works in many countries.

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Good thing if they ban extra loud exhausts and those turbo modifications on cars that pollute all over. I had a big bike once did put up an other exhausts but it still was within decibel limits. 

Nothing more annoying then sound and air pollution from race cars and bikes. 

Nearly all of these modifications are already illegal on public roads. There is no need for new laws. They just didn't enforce the existing laws properly. That's why when I hear about new "rules" it makes me wonder...

As long as 13 year old boys can ride their scooters with straight through open pipes without license, helmet or any training whatsoever right next to a police box without repercussions nothing will change.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

Is the modification illegal or usage on public roads? Why wouldn't it be perfectly fine to make a modification and then use the vehicle on a racetrack? It's not a good idea to try to stop the shops from selling or fitting non-street legal exhausts. People would just order from online. And on top these guys have a real incentive to do it as they make money from it. It's much easier to fine the drivers/riders. They have no strong (monetary) reason to do it plus you catch them in the act of cleary breaking the law. And once the demand is low, the shops will adjust. That system works in many countries.

Nearly all of these modifications are already illegal on public roads. There is no need for new laws. They just didn't enforce the existing laws properly. That's why when I hear about new "rules" it makes me wonder...

As long as 13 year old boys can ride their scooters with straight through open pipes without license, helmet or any training whatsoever right next to a police box without repercussions nothing will change.

Yes your point is well made that many of these laws are pointless. However its changing as now they will prevent sale of these things. So its one step closer they go after the shops and producers. Still its not full proof but better then nothing. 

Again enforcement is always lacking in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marcuss Wings said:

Well that is the picture that was with the supposedly new rules . This is why I placed the post to find out more about it. Or is this site about other things. 

Don't know where you going with this post OP you sure are new here but if your bike is as you bought it from a Thai dealer then there is no problem with the police.

Modification can in some areas in Thailand cause a problem for a riders of the bikes and that's normally no big deal.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't know where you going with this post OP you sure are new here but if your bike is as you bought it from a Thai dealer then there is no problem with the police.

Modification can in some areas in Thailand cause a problem for a riders of the bikes and that's normally no big deal.

They are changing the rules as they are getting sick of the motorcycle racers. So they now want to go after shops selling mods. It was all in the news. They want to get more strict on it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes your point is well made that many of these laws are pointless. However its changing as now they will prevent sale of these things. So its one step closer they go after the shops and producers. Still its not full proof but better then nothing. 

Again enforcement is always lacking in Thailand.

I am not sure if one can just make the sale illegal. There are too many edgecases and absolutely OK cases. What about MotoGP bikes? WIll they be illegal? WIll they get extra permissions? What about amature racing? Motocross offroad? And even if they were to make selling non-approved exhausts illegal do you think they will really permanently enforce it? If they can't enforce laws for the riders/drivers then good luck enforcing on the shops. I don't see this succeeding. And even if every shop in Thailand only sold TIS stamped exhausts the owners would just modify them, take out baffles etc and make them louder. Back to square one ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I am not sure if one can just make the sale illegal. There are too many edgecases and absolutely OK cases. What about MotoGP bikes? WIll they be illegal? WIll they get extra permissions? What about amature racing? Motocross offroad? And even if they were to make selling non-approved exhausts illegal do you think they will really permanently enforce it? If they can't enforce laws for the riders/drivers then good luck enforcing on the shops. I don't see this succeeding. And even if every shop in Thailand only sold TIS stamped exhausts the owners would just modify them, take out baffles etc and make them louder. Back to square one ????

You can never be sure in Thailand about enforcement. But the police is now on their toes getting bored of road racers. Its easier to close shops that are stationary then to chase after bikers. Plus one shop serves many bikers. So take them out it gets harder. Sure they can take out the baffler but it is one extra thing they have to do themselves. (still not impossible but an extra hurdle)

As for motor GP and motocross, these guys will probably suffer or there will be shops with a permit they can lose if police finds out their exhausts go to normal people. But in the end i think motor GP and cross will suffer.

Again all speculation as we all know that enforcement is not a Thai thing. However before alcohol checks were unheard of now they happen a lot more and people are actually worried about them. 

12 hours ago, robblok said:

They are changing the rules as they are getting sick of the motorcycle racers. So they now want to go after shops selling mods. It was all in the news. They want to get more strict on it. 

Don't really read news sounds a bit silly what's meant by a motorcycle racer is it about mods which are for small bikes.

Police should do their proper job on enforcement not make another one up for motorcycle shop owners.

I take it they are after stopping kids racing, goodluck with that, the only way to stop kids on wave and scoots racing is to deal with it in the right way.

Edited by Kwasaki

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't really read news sounds a bit silly what's meant by a motorcycle racer is it about mods which are for small bikes.

Police should do their proper job on enforcement not make another one up for motorcycle shop owners.

I take it they are after stopping kids racing, goodluck with that, the only way to stop kids on wave and scoots racing is to deal with it in the right way.

Not sure I agree.. if exhausts mods are not legal why wait till they are put on bikes and not just go after the seller first. Makes far more sense. 

Just allow tested exhausts to be sold (with a dB limit)

I love motorbikes had a ninja 650 now a scooter. I just hate idiots that make their bike sound louder above the limits. I don't see it as a bad thing when they go after sellers of such exhausts. 

We got a few of those idiots in my village too it sounds as if a plane is about to take off when they pass. Just stupid. 

• Thanks 1