New motorbike modification rules from August 2020

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just allow tested exhausts to be sold (with a dB limit)

The exhaust on my bike is a Akrapovic exhaust it's loud but not illegal the DLT tester didn't comment on it.

No louder than a Harley. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

The exhaust on my bike is a Akrapovic exhaust it's loud but not illegal the DLT tester didn't comment on it.

No louder than a Harley. 

There are limits to the Db of exhaust if it does not exceed it all is fine.  DLT does not mean much as some really don't care and ok everything. Depends a bit where you test. In BKK they are more strict where I am they don't even look much and OK it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

There are limits to the Db of exhaust if it does not exceed it all is fine.  DLT does not mean much as some really don't care and ok everything. Depends a bit where you test. In BKK they are more strict where I am they don't even look much and OK it. 

95dB for car exhausts. HKS make a street and race exhaust for the civic turbo. The state plainly that the race exhaust exceeds this limit. But of course guys still install it:)

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Its easier to close shops that are stationary then to chase after bikers. Plus one shop serves many bikers. So take them out it gets harder. Sure they can take out the baffler but it is one extra thing they have to do themselves. (still not impossible but an extra hurdle)

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Not sure I agree.. if exhausts mods are not legal why wait till they are put on bikes and not just go after the seller first. Makes far more sense. 

Just allow tested exhausts to be sold (with a dB limit)

No it's not easier. That's my point. What exactly is illegal? Possession of such an exhaust? The act of fitting it? What exactly makes the exhaust illegal? What about bikes that were registered before the latest dB limits were defined and exceed these but are legal because grandfathered in? What about vintage bikes that are just used as display models but never ridden? An exhaust on bike X can be too loud while on bike Y it wouldn't. How do you test conformance? It's the combinaion of exhaust+bike that's too loud. An exhaust itself doesn't do anything. All these situations are extremely murky and unclear. Certainly not something that a police officer can decide the legality of on the spot... It is only clear when the combination of bike+exhaust is used on public roads. There you can use a simple decibel meter and measure.

And it's extremely easy to catch these guys, I mean they announce from far where they are audibly ????

Noise is one issue. Black smoke from trucks and buses is another one. What do you make illegal for shops there?

7 hours ago, robblok said:

As for motor GP and motocross, these guys will probably suffer or there will be shops with a permit they can lose if police finds out their exhausts go to normal people. But in the end i think motor GP and cross will suffer.

I guess you are not really familiar with what MotoGP is. I was alluding to the fact that if you make any modification of bikes illegal instead of the usage on public roads then MotoGP bikes if taken literally would be illegal. But of course there's no way this would affect them whatsoever...

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

What about bikes that were registered before the latest dB limits were defined and exceed these but are legal because grandfathered in?

Very much my thoughts when it comes to my perfectly legal 26 year old bike.

I would lose it if some ignorant Thai cop wanted to confiscate my bike.

My 19 year old Ducati S4 has  Ducati performance silencers on made by Termignoni ,, they are loud but Ducati said the bike  was originally sold with those exhausts and would not run properly with the standard cans which I can get but would require  completely detuning the bike changing the ECU  and making it useless ..and cost about 70k Baht . it come in less than the official 85db sound test anyway ..

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't really read news sounds a bit silly what's meant by a motorcycle racer is it about mods which are for small bikes.

Police should do their proper job on enforcement not make another one up for motorcycle shop owners.

I take it they are after stopping kids racing, goodluck with that, the only way to stop kids on wave and scoots racing is to deal with it in the right way.

You're right--(orders spike strips)

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

the only way to stop kids on wave and scoots racing

Is to provide facilities where they can. It is a social event as well as gambling.

That being said maybe someone on here knows why cafe racing at the ACE Cafe died a natural death? 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Is to provide facilities where they can. It is a social event as well as gambling.

That being said maybe someone on here knows why cafe racing at the ACE Cafe died a natural death? 

covid?

On 6/28/2020 at 4:53 PM, eisfeld said:
On 6/28/2020 at 3:48 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

Most of those shops fit the parts as well, that's the alleged offence, making the modifications.

Is the modification illegal or usage on public roads? Why wouldn't it be perfectly fine to make a modification and then use the vehicle on a racetrack?

None of those in question are being used on racetracks!

On 6/29/2020 at 2:07 PM, DavisH said:

race exhaust ........turbo. 

The thing is that sound is energy so if said Civic is reclaiming energy to compress intake air then it is probably quite quiet.  Unless the blow off goes into the exhaust 

2 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Read the OP and subsequent comments.

Ok, so in the OP it mentions shops and "racing cars". So you are saying *none* of the shops sell stuff for use on race tracks? None of the "racing cars" are used on race tracks? I know they are bad translations but my point still stands. Going after shops is the wrong approach.

• Confused 1

On 6/28/2020 at 1:19 PM, yuyiinthesky said:

Hi Marcuss, you bring up a good point, which modification to your car or bike could be an excuse to get you to pay a fine or worse.

Most here won‘t know, as they don’t have a car or a big bike in Thailand.

In general, if your accessory is an original accessory sold by the manufacturer of your car or bike, then you should be fine. If it is not obvious that it is an original accessory then it might make sense to keep a proof handy, such as a copy of the invoice, or a copy of the manufacturers product description.

Why don‘t you ask in your group for more details and if you get anything specific, please share.

Forget any of the "rules", when Thais in authority sit round a table to make up rules, not much common sense is used. they are more power trips than anything else. Provided you have genuine common sense, ie never sump up your exhaust, common sense would tell you that is a big annoyance to anyone except the racing headbangers.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:13 AM, VocalNeal said:

Basically the public were fed up with the noise, speeding and dead motorcyclists littering the road so the police started enforcing heavily. By the end of the 60s the cafe racers had gone and druggies took over. It closed in 69.

The trick used to be to race from the Ace to the Hanger Lane roundabout and back (c2.5 miles) in the time it took to play a record on the juke box. Some managed it, some failed and some never came back.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, drbeach said:

Most members here don't have a car or bike? Sure about that? I would think most expats have at least one, if not both.

I own a car and a small motorcycle. The latter I barely use; when I do, it's just for local travel to go to the market or 7-11. For journeys longer than 5km, I almost always use my car.

im sure ALL normal men expats have both bike and car in thailand, you not can do anythink and not can live good if you not have bike or car in thailand. totally poor men need be if not have bike or car. and 55555 police catch if car or bike has modified. just who believe in thailand 55555, next bike what i buy have ower 500cc and i mod thats true beauty chopper or bopper first and then drive and im sure any police not newer come catch me i have modded  bike.

Edited by finnishmen

On 6/29/2020 at 7:43 AM, robblok said:

You can never be sure in Thailand about enforcement. But the police is now on their toes getting bored of road racers. Its easier to close shops that are stationary then to chase after bikers. Plus one shop serves many bikers. So take them out it gets harder. Sure they can take out the baffler but it is one extra thing they have to do themselves. (still not impossible but an extra hurdle)

As for motor GP and motocross, these guys will probably suffer or there will be shops with a permit they can lose if police finds out their exhausts go to normal people. But in the end i think motor GP and cross will suffer.

Again all speculation as we all know that enforcement is not a Thai thing. However before alcohol checks were unheard of now they happen a lot more and people are actually worried about them. 

Why would MotoGP suffer because some Thai brat cannot put an obnoxiously loud exhaust on his scooter ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, finnishmen said:

next bike what i buy have ower 500cc and i mod thats true beauty chopper or bopper first and then drive and im sure any police not newer come catch me i have modded  bike.

Be careful slowing for intersections... police have no issue kicking you off the bike.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Basically the public were fed up with the noise, speeding and dead motorcyclists littering the road so the police started enforcing heavily

Sounds just like here then?

Today I've been stopped by police for loud exhaust. I have cbr650 and they took me to police station and wanted that I changed immediately the exhaust or they would seize the bike. After long discussion and my promise that I would go to a mechanic and after showing them that I own also the original exhaust they let me just pay the fine (500baht) and go. Crazy, first time in 5 years. before today,  they stopped me countless times without any kind of problems with the 2 bikes I owned, both with race exhaust.

17 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Sounds just like here then?

Well, if you think the North Circular is like Thailand, prepare to be disappointed. ????

It was nearly 60 years ago too, so there's some catching up to do.

1 hour ago, Sundown said:

Today I've been stopped by police for loud exhaust. I have cbr650 and they took me to police station and wanted that I changed immediately the exhaust or they would seize the bike. After long discussion and my promise that I would go to a mechanic and after showing them that I own also the original exhaust they let me just pay the fine (500baht) and go. Crazy, first time in 5 years. before today,  they stopped me countless times without any kind of problems with the 2 bikes I owned, both with race exhaust.

Seems they are finally getting a bit more tough. I can understand it as some bikes are just too loud. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 1:52 PM, Marcuss Wings said:

The police have been going around to the motorcycle repair shops that sell the aftermarket exhaust and say not to sell them anymore.106124730_1656814967793069_6760560024835904477_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_eui2=AeHTNFTBTka6Aoqogb6_bZC1pOIB_OLyB72k4gH84vIHvcworvFh9tjFQYBvsWdCynYYdZfy8pepQNSdjlny7mQt&_nc_oc=AQmJSRoVpxYCNNZw8qeQFBOga0mi1bMv1OT6QGFo4TXHs2oX1iwCwPNgR4o4uwRYwgQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk26-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=73afb0750bb978484cd0faa2dc382bbb&oe=5F1E2EF5

Then they should have a look at lazada and shopee and such as well because i think most of them are ordered there , just ordered and got 1 myself , ,price for real one 29000baht payed just 1700 baht on lazada and it works perfect and with a db killer it doesn't make the noice that those childrens bikes make . I drive a Xadv 750cc . But i geuss if it doesn't make so much noice police will not bother me , they will just have a reason to stop those horrible noice making bikes and gibe them a big fine , wich i wouldn't mind if they will do that because their a pain in most peoples ... and a hassle to the neigbourhood specialy at night . 

For sure there are some rules which seem strange.. I only know of a truck 

with mud decal/ screen whatever it’s called. When renewing yearly tag 

no the decals took up over x percent.. 

This weirdness is the same in China friend had car wrapped flat black

changed rims... yearly tag inspection.. nope didn’t get approved first 

take off wrap and put back original rims.. the originals were gone..

Although car book in China has a picture of your car when licensed

Tnailand is cracking down on loud pipes it’s in the news a least a couple 

time a year,,

23 hours ago, eisfeld said:
On 7/1/2020 at 1:30 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

Read the OP and subsequent comments.

Ok, so in the OP it mentions shops and "racing cars". So you are saying *none* of the shops sell stuff for use on race tracks? None of the "racing cars" are used on race tracks? I know they are bad translations but my point still stands. Going after shops is the wrong approach.

Read the title, the OP makes it perfectly clear that he is referring to modified motorbikes and motorbike modifications.  The bikes that he is referring to, that he police are trying to crack down on are never used on race tracks.