When will flights out of Bangkok actually resume?

There's been a lot of talk about foreign partners wanting to return to Thailand to be with their families and the government allowing them in certain circumstances to do so. I'm all for that but what about the foreigners stuck here since March that need to get back to their home country so they can return to work to sustain their family here? I'm in the later category and although I was and am happy to be here with my kids it's no fun now as my saving have but all run out. So as the Thai government can hardly support their own people how would i expect them to look after mine.

I can understand the reluctance to stop incoming flights but what about outgoing flights? Surely there are flight going out and some way to leave. 

I have had 2 flights cancelled since March, the most recent was for the 1st of July with Turkish airlines to Dublin, The airline now say they will be flying again on the 18th of July but I have little faith in that happening.

So can anyone here on TV give a realistic answer

Regards

• Confused 4

I guess it depends on where you are going. I checked on Flightaware and there are flights going out, the most that I saw were going to Japan JAL/AA. I am sure airlines don't want to send in empty planes to take people out. I have had 3 flights canceled as of now. There was a plane flying out to the US by way of Japan by the same airline 3 hours later but they wanted 6 times the price I had paid for the same class coach seat.

• Like 1

Many airlines have shutdown partially or completely.

Others - as written - have never stopped flights to/from Bangkok completely.

The OP is particularly referring to Turkish Airlines which was in total shutdown for a while.

I read that they resumed flights to a couple of international destinations.

But can't tell about Bangkok.

Be optimistic that they will fly on July 18.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

KLM is flying several times a week from BKK to Amsterdam. I think you can find a way to go from Amsterdam to Dublin. It's maybe inconvenient, but you can leave if you want.

• Like 1

Outbound flights never completely  ceased. I left 10 days ago.

Do you really have to stick to TK? The LH group can take you to Dublin anytime.

Edited by CLS
  • Like 1

I am flying out with SwissAir Very soon and see their flights are still operating regularly. My question is what new procedures are in place as a result of Covid-19 for flying out of Suvarnabhumi. I don’t want to arrive to find I need a doctors certificate to state I am negative for Covid-19. Additionally, are departures fairly free of queues and free flowing. Has anyone flown with SwissAir to Zurich recently as I wanted to know if there was ample distancing between passengers. 

6 minutes ago, Karlo said:

I am flying out with SwissAir Very soon and see their flights are still operating regularly. My question is what new procedures are in place as a result of Covid-19 for flying out of Suvarnabhumi. I don’t want to arrive to find I need a doctors certificate to state I am negative for Covid-19. Additionally, are departures fairly free of queues and free flowing. Has anyone flown with SwissAir to Zurich recently as I wanted to know if there was ample distancing between passengers. 

Here’s some good advice from the Thai Embassy in Turkey about buying plane tickets before the flight ban to #Thailand is lifted. DON’T DO IT! Just because airlines are selling tickets for July, it doesn’t mean they will be allowed to land in Thailand. They just want your money.

7 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Eva air, Qatar, Emirates......as far as I know they have been flying out all during lockdown.

Not Emirates but the others have been.

I accept what you say ...... but in my case I have been carefully following SwissAir flights in and out of Bangkok. My flight is regular each week the aircraft arrives early morning and departs late at night..... flightradar24 is a good app to follow aircraft movements. My flight is out of Thailand so less restrictions as shown by UK embassy advice notice 

Edited by Karlo

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Here’s some good advice from the Thai Embassy in Turkey about buying plane tickets before the flight ban to #Thailand is lifted. DON’T DO IT! Just because airlines are selling tickets for July, it doesn’t mean they will be allowed to land in Thailand. They just want your money.

Ummm.... op is looking for a ticket OUT of Thailand so the warning about ticket TO Thailand is irrelevant

• Like 1

Qatar, Lufthansa and KLM have been flying a few flights a week OUT of Thailand the entire time.

ANA, Eva and Korean Air have also had flights out a few times a week.

The OP only said his most recent flight was cancelled. Nothing about having a preference or need to use that particular airline.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The OP is particularly referring to Turkish Airlines which was in total shutdown for a while.

We were due to fly with Turkish on July 20, they've cancelled our flight and refunded our money. 

• Sad 1

All I can say is it is pretty damn confusing no matter which airline or destination you choose and unfortunately we are required to DYI every aspect of travel out of Thailand these days 

There is another thread running that overlaps this one here, where I posted my experience:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1169888-airlines/

I have had 4 EVA Air flights to Seattle, with the obligatory transit of Taipei, cancelled since May 1st and was rescheduled for Aug 1st after my July 3rd flight was pulled

But suddenly last week (Wednesday) I received a call from EVA asking me if I would like to return on my original July 3rd flight since " Taiwanese authorities have now allowed transit of Taipei" according to the CSR.  I agreed on the change and new ticket was issued

Unfortunately no one seems to know if my outbound flight is bringing in passengers or if it is deadheading to pick up passengers for Taiwan and points beyond.  Previous post here report that for London, EVA was flying to London from Taipei via Bangkok, to pick up passengers and then direct to LHR 

So I will be going to swampy on the 3rd with no idea of any "Covid-19 " medical requirements or where I will end up or how.   

17 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Eva air, Qatar, Emirates......as far as I know they have been flying out all during lockdown.

I tried to book Eva twice, they aren't flying out of BKK yet, at lest not towards the States, likely because there is a ban on international transit passengers in Taiwan. The other two you mentioned are flying though. I have flights out of BKK to the U.S. on Korean Air in a week or so. Also JAL is flying out of BKK.

If I find a flight that is supposedly flying out of Bangkok, I get the flight number and route and check on flightaware to see if they have been reliable of have been cancelling a lot of flights.

Edited by Lee4Life

27 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

likely because there is a ban on international transit passengers in Taiwan.

the ban has been lifted for EVA flights as of june 25th.  but so far not for other airlines.  see this link for EVA.  i have an EVA flight bkk-tpe-sea in august so i'm hoping EVA bkk-tpe flights get going soon.

https://www.evaair.com/en-global/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/2020-02-05-travel-restrictions-coronavirus.html

There have been flights out all of the time since the crisis developed. Should be no reason why you can’t book a ticket and leave, if you wish. Getting back if you intend to do so might be more of an issue near term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

We were due to fly with Turkish on July 20, they've cancelled our flight and refunded our money. 

That's not very reassuring, How did you get a refund so quickly, I need to get a refund to buy a new ticket with a different airline

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Many airlines have shutdown partially or completely.

Others - as written - have never stopped flights to/from Bangkok completely.

If OP "must" leave with Turkish Airlines, and not with any other airline, then I guess his will to get back home isn't very strong. 

55 minutes ago, TheDJMecanic said:

That's not very reassuring, How did you get a refund so quickly, I need to get a refund to buy a new ticket with a different airline

Then you cant be that desparate to leave. My flight with BA has been cancelled twice. I dont need to go to the UK but I want to see my family for a few months. Therefore I look at the schedules, its not that difficult. EVA air fly every Sunday, KLM, Lufthansa fly daily. Qatar operate the 02.10 every day and they are from 2 July adding the 19.25. I think other airlines are starting up too from July including Emirates. I am booked on Qatar on 9 July easy. My BA flight I have simply rescheduled for next year. Surely you cant be that low on funds that you need the refund from Turkish Airlines to rebook another flight? Your will to leave does not seem that great to me, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Flying out of Thailand...Start to be annoying to see all the remarks of "there been always flight out available"...Have your boys ever looked at the daily flight schedule at Bangkok airport? Most of international flights are always cancelled...How many times you will book a flight and have to wait for the money return?

And not living in Bangkok makes it much more difficult for people, even if the want to leave.

I am stuck here since mid January and should leave for Europe to work in mid March when Corona strikes...

Now I have no job for this year and no extra income; my places of residence are not in the country of my passport for more than 30 years; and my other country is closed foe ALL not nationals. I guess there are more similar cases like this...and we will manage without those stupid comments of some Smarta... 

I am in the same situation as OP. Arrived in Thailand just as Europe locked down, now hoping to get back to UK sometime soon.  Can anyone point me to information as to which flights are flying?  I have looked on Expedia and find al the normal offers, but are there actual flights?  

It is not an emergency, s my retirement visa has been extended, and I have house nd family here, but I would really like to be back in UK.  Should I simply book a flight on Expedia, my usual way of travelling, and hope it will fly?  

Any advice would be appreciated.

34 minutes ago, Robin said:

I am in the same situation as OP. Arrived in Thailand just as Europe locked down, now hoping to get back to UK sometime soon.  Can anyone point me to information as to which flights are flying?  I have looked on Expedia and find al the normal offers, but are there actual flights?  

It is not an emergency, s my retirement visa has been extended, and I have house nd family here, but I would really like to be back in UK.  Should I simply book a flight on Expedia, my usual way of travelling, and hope it will fly?  

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would avoid third parties and / or agencies including Expedia and book direct with an airline of your choice (see previous posts)

I do that anyway in normal times, but at present, if you do need a refund, it's so much simpler if you can go direct to the airline. If you book through a third party and need a refund or sometimes even just a change, the airline will send you to said third party. There are several threads on TV and other forums bearing this out.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1