Options to Invest 10M Baht in Thailand other than a normal Deposit Account ?

I would keep it in cash for the moment. Things are going to get a lot worse here, and the SET will tank. Already Bank of Thailand, (like the FSA in UK for UK banks), has told Thai banks to cut dividends, to keep their balance sheets strong in the event of an anticipated debt spiral.

• Like 2

More of  question - Is it possible open a Foreign Currency Account and keep transferring currency between this and a Thai current account as the Baht increase and/or falls - as it seems to do. With B10m even a move of half a baht done several time a month/year (with favourable exchange rates) would be an earner. Obviously timing would be everything as well as fees/costs.  As I said, this was a question not sure in possible or realistic.  But I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:12 AM, Mavideol said:

all sounds good then, with a little bit of luck you just got rid of half of it... if not all of it 555 

Way I understand it it that if you had something prior to marriage, it does not count in any divorce. 

But, what happens if you say sell the Bangkok condo you brought previously for 10 million baht before being married and invested it in say 2 condo in Pattaya that for argument sake cost 5 million baht after you were married. 

Now you invested your own money and bought the Bangkok condo and if divorced your wife would have no claim I guess as before marriage.

But , would your wife get 50% of the condo - 5 million baht - if your original investment had been changed into something new ? Basically can you get nailed for changing your asset into something different after marriage. She could argue that whilst the money used was originally yours, the condos were bought AFTER the marriage and therefore an asset of the marriage.

Thoughts, experience  ? 

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Way I understand it it that if you had something prior to marriage, it does not count in any divorce. 

But, what happens if you say sell the Bangkok condo you brought previously for 10 million baht before being married and invested it in say 2 condo in Pattaya that for argument sake cost 5 million baht after you were married. 

Now you invested your own money and bought the Bangkok condo and if divorced your wife would have no claim I guess as before marriage.

But , would your wife get 50% of the condo - 5 million baht - if your original investment had been changed into something new ? Basically can you get nailed for changing your asset into something different after marriage. She could argue that whilst the money used was originally yours, the condos were bought AFTER the marriage and therefore an asset of the marriage.

Thoughts, experience  ? 

Therefore, even Thai law states about property owned before marriage is separate property, a prenuptial is always a good idea, and for example include words like "a Bangkok condo, or whatever might replace it".

However, there might be clauses that already takes care of that. I read in another thread a post saying, that inheritance during a marriage is not considered common property.

In my home country a Last Will might include that inheritance, or whatever might replace the inheritance, cannot be common property in case of marriage, but shall always remain separate property. I use the same wording in my Thai last will, in case I should not be able to use everything myself...????

Sorry for my inactivity, have not ignored all the posts, but am back again . . .
Reason for investment ? Nothing to do with Visas, permission to stay, marriage protection or any of that

Just purely to invest it to get more than 1% which does not even track inflation, the money would be used to provide an income maybe 5 years in the future, this is just what is available now to use

Lots of answer and thoughts given in replies, and i thank you Guys for your contribution
Will sit and digest all the reasonable stuff and see what comes of it

Thanks again

6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

People with a bit of savvy are making money hand over foot just now.

Out of chaos comes cash.

Off topic tho.

I'm doing ok out of the situation as well, but not in this 3rd World Country.