BANGKOK
pedro01

Deep discounts from The Germans

On 6/29/2020 at 11:44 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

100,000 Quid for a Benz that is not as well built as one from Germany..... Sheeesh! Some people have more money than sense.

easy ! just buy an imported model as I always do !

Went for the 2020 c43 in the end. Great car, lots of fun. Very happy with it & it's a very good looking car. 

There's still some 2019 models with very deep discounts around - 3,790,000 was the best for a 2019. Just under 3.9 for the 2020. 

As for all the moaners...

I used to live in Denmark, which has 87/150% tax on new cars. People still drove cars there too.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Too expensive: Everything is relative. If you earn $100k a month, then it's pretty much throw-away money.

Too Sensitive: I have a 6 year old 528i MSport that I've owned from new. Great drive, driven all over the country - never had any issue with terrain and the terrain hasn't shaken it to pieces yet. Isaan roads are pretty good if we go that way. We go to Koh Chang a lot - roads are fine too. Not on par with EU/US roads but the Germans have such great suspension/sound proofing - they iron out a lot of the bumps. 

Depreciation: I buy a car to drive around in, to enjoy. I don't worry about selling it. In fact, I couldn't bear to sell my old 5 - it's still such a great car it's worth way more to me than the second hand value.

Better Asian options. lololololololol...

okay

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Went for the 2020 c43 in the end. Great car, lots of fun. Very happy with it & it's a very good looking car. 

There's still some 2019 models with very deep discounts around - 3,790,000 was the best for a 2019. Just under 3.9 for the 2020. 

As for all the moaners...

I used to live in Denmark, which has 87/150% tax on new cars. People still drove cars there too.

you can buy a decent house for that price in Thailand.  Frankly, I think its a bit daft to spent that amount on a car that in a few years will be worth precisely zilch.  Next thing you will be telling us that such a car is a good investment, with an excellent ROCE? 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

you can buy a decent house for that price in Thailand.  Frankly, I think its a bit daft to spent that amount on a car that in a few years will be worth precisely zilch.  Next thing you will be telling us that such a car is a good investment, with an excellent ROCE? 

I have 2 houses already. I don't have anywhere to park a 3rd.

The car cost a fraction of my annual income. So "that amount" might be large to you but it's not to me. It's a bit like saying "I think it's a bit daft to spend 150k on a Vespa when you can get a Yamaha Fino for 50k." Or is that a silly example because we've come down to your disposable income level?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I have 2 houses already. I don't have anywhere to park a 3rd.

The car cost a fraction of my annual income. So "that amount" might be large to you but it's not to me. It's a bit like saying "I think it's a bit daft to spend 150k on a Vespa when you can get a Yamaha Fino for 50k." Or is that a silly example because we've come down to your disposable income level?

lucky you. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

lucky you. 

Some would call it hard work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/30/2020 at 12:52 AM, mistral53 said:

So I take it you have been to the Benz factory in Thailand, and since you have a degree in manufacturing engineering for automobiles, we are safe to trust your expert opinion..........

As for having money - so far the overwhelming majority on here frown on communism in China, that implies we are open to accept everybody has a right to spend his surplus money on frivolous luxuries if he is so inclined.

No, I have not been to the Thai Benz factory. No need, I just examined the product in the showroom. After years in the uk motor trade working for five car manufacturers I knew what I was looking at. If you want to pay more than the cost in Germany for a Thai copy, go ahead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, Pilotman said:

if you call decent a 3 or 4 millions house, we really do not have the same opinion on things ! keep driving your jap tin boxes and let us have style and love for beauty ❤️

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

No, I have not been to the Thai Benz factory. No need, I just examined the product in the showroom. After years in the uk motor trade working for five car manufacturers I knew what I was looking at. If you want to pay more than the cost in Germany for a Thai copy, go ahead.

PMSL

You know the cars are just assembled here from parts sent from Germany, right? That's why you never hear them say "made in Thailand" but "Assembled in Thailand".

If they were made in Thailand, the prices would be way lower - but local assembly puts them in a different tax bracket.

So when you were (for example) looking at a German made door that had been bolted on in Thailand - what did your expert eye reveal?

Edited by pedro01
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

if you call decent a 3 or 4 millions house, we really do not have the same opinion on things ! keep driving your jap tin boxes and let us have style and love for beauty ❤️

well we are not all as wealthy as you, or as arrogant and self opinionated.  

Edit: Forgot to add, your car may have style, you clearly do not.

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

well we are not all as wealthy as you, or as arrogant and self opinionated.  

But you ARE a "reverse snob" - which is a form of arrogance. 

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/reverse--snobbery

"a person overly proud of being one of or sympathetic to the common people, and who denigrates or shuns those of superior ability, education, social standing, etc." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1