Pro lockdown advocates, what's your solution for unemployment, homeless and no food?

steelepulse

It is clear, that all of the exaggerated claims of mass suicide, starvation and homelessness due to Covid19 are written by westerners  with their western country  perspective, and most have a US centric view emphasizing negativity.  It is also obvious that  a large number of  people in TVF live in fear, imagining they will be attacked by people and that uprisings are only days away. 

According to them, the world is in collapse. For people who love to trot out graphs and charts, where are their illustrations? How about some actual data?  The reality is that the social  safety nets in the developed world have worked. Infrastructure remains.  The only country with a problem in the developed world is the USA and that is primarily driven by its lack of affordable health care and deep divide between haves and have nots.  Also it is driven by the  gross incompetence of the federal government and  some state administrations.

The reality too is that there hasn't been a complete lockdown  in much of the developed world.  Essential businesses and activities continued.  Developed countries have reopened in part and continue to reopen. Some countries have mismanaged their reopening, but the continued complaining about lockdowns is just trouble making. There is no lockdown, just some ongoing common sense limitations of the size of  groups.

When food  has been in short supply in the western countries it has been because  widespread infections closed down food processing plants, not because of any lockdown. The prime examples are the meat processing plants in Canada and USA which had horrific outbreaks. The end result was that store shelves ran bare. Canada depended upon a handful of large slaughterhouses and when they all went down, the   facilities had to close, resulting in the critical disruption of the country's food chain.  When US truck drivers started getting ill,  and continued to  get ill, they were unable to manage the cargo loads. There was a critical shortage of drivers before Covid 19 and the pandemic ruptured the already fragile supply chain.

Thailand has pumped  in excess of a trillion baht into the country with direct handouts to those in need. The people of Thailand showed solidarity and helped each other. In the hardest hit areas, people voluntarily shared their food and offered their support. No riots, no fights, no vandalism.  Foreigners in Thailand have been blessed to be in the midst of a relatively good outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

The prime examples are the meat processing plants in Canada and USA which had horrific outbreaks. The end result was that store shelves ran bare. Canada depended upon a handful of large slaughterhouses and when they all went down, the   facilities had to close, resulting in the critical disruption of the country's food chain.

Seems to be good to be vegetarian in these crazy times ????

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

The only country with a problem in the developed world is the USA and that is primarily driven by its lack of affordable health care and deep divide between haves and have nots.

Amazing, I can agree with you for one fragment of your elaboration!

Indeed, the richest 1% owns more than the remaining 99%, and the pandemic is making them even richer. Not good.

12 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You are missing the key point.  The OP is asking "pro lockdown advocates" the question.  No such person exist. 

This is the point.

It is like calling people who believe that there should have been no government interventions "pro death advocates". 

• Haha 1

You are correct. Those are not a problem if you are dead. Only a problem if people are alive.

Even without a "lockdown" those are a problem. So if there is no lockdown how would you solve those problems?

19 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

It is clear, that all of the exaggerated claims of mass suicide, starvation and homelessness due to Covid19 are written by westerners  with their western country  perspective, and most have a US centric view emphasizing negativity.  It is also obvious that  a large number of  people in TVF live in fear, imagining they will be attacked by people and that uprisings are only days away. 

According to them, the world is in collapse. For people who love to trot out graphs and charts, where are their illustrations? How about some actual data?  The reality is that the social  safety nets in the developed world have worked. Infrastructure remains.  The only country with a problem in the developed world is the USA and that is primarily driven by its lack of affordable health care and deep divide between haves and have nots.  Also it is driven by the  gross incompetence of the federal government and  some state administrations.

The reality too is that there hasn't been a complete lockdown  in much of the developed world.  Essential businesses and activities continued.  Developed countries have reopened in part and continue to reopen. Some countries have mismanaged their reopening, but the continued complaining about lockdowns is just trouble making. There is no lockdown, just some ongoing common sense limitations of the size of  groups.

When food  has been in short supply in the western countries it has been because  widespread infections closed down food processing plants, not because of any lockdown. The prime examples are the meat processing plants in Canada and USA which had horrific outbreaks. The end result was that store shelves ran bare. Canada depended upon a handful of large slaughterhouses and when they all went down, the   facilities had to close, resulting in the critical disruption of the country's food chain.  When US truck drivers started getting ill,  and continued to  get ill, they were unable to manage the cargo loads. There was a critical shortage of drivers before Covid 19 and the pandemic ruptured the already fragile supply chain.

Thailand has pumped  in excess of a trillion baht into the country with direct handouts to those in need. The people of Thailand showed solidarity and helped each other. In the hardest hit areas, people voluntarily shared their food and offered their support. No riots, no fights, no vandalism.  Foreigners in Thailand have been blessed to be in the midst of a relatively good outcome.

The economic woes haven't really started yet imo- it isn't so much the crash as the aftermath.  

I don't think economies will return to previous capacities for years if at all; maybe that's no bad thing until fossil fuel is ditched. 

The economic solution is simple but will not happen- equal distribution of wealth.

• Like 1

I personally don't believe that Wuhan flu is a one-off.  I think future pandemics will maybe cause even greater problems, especially for those in western, developed cities who haven't got a clue where milk comes from, or how to wring a hen's neck.

I've always been a bit of a 'look after yourself' sort of guy.  I hate to rely on others, because often they completely screw up!  At least if I screw up, I can blame myself and indeed, learn from my mistakes.

I'm moving to a new rented property in a couple of weeks with an enclosed garden.  This will give me the opportunity to experiment with growing (and cooking!) my own fruit and vegetables, setting up a hydroponic system, solar water heating, solar panel electrics etc,  I already operate my short wave 'radio ham' transmitters off car batteries, so that they still operate in the absence of electricity, (think earthquake, natural disaster etc).  I'm excited about my own self-sufficient future.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is time to ask the people in the US states who were opposed to  limited curtailments of capacity and  social distancing? Texas, Arizona, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana  will provide an indication of what happens when there are no limitations. I suggest polling be down in the large urban areas that have now reached ICU capacity and have been forced to postpone elective procedures as there are inadequate health professionals available and a shortage of beds. For some gosh strange reason, the scenario is turning out just as the  health professionals said it would. And even stranger is that strange state of New York which still has some limitations in place as it gradually reopens, is showing a reduction in its infections.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Perhaps it is time to ask the people in the US states who were opposed to  limited curtailments of capacity and  social distancing? Texas, Arizona, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana  will provide an indication of what happens when there are no limitations. I suggest polling be down in the large urban areas that have now reached ICU capacity and have been forced to postpone elective procedures as there are inadequate health professionals available and a shortage of beds. For some gosh strange reason, the scenario is turning out just as the  health professionals said it would. And even stranger is that strange state of New York which still has some limitations in place as it gradually reopens, is showing a reduction in its infections.

And what has that to do with the topic of this thread?
If you need to ramble, at least pick a thread closer to the topic you want to ramble about, or start your own.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:24 AM, redwood1 said:

The whole Covid madness is a scam.....Has been from day one.....
Official covid numbers are a scam....Has been from day one...

Mask wearing is a scam...has been from day one....

Social distancing is a scam...has been from day one...

But about 95% of people are buying into the scam

so

I predict things will need to get much much worse to help wake people up....

I would hug this guy if I could, in a non gay type of way.. ????????

On 6/29/2020 at 5:15 AM, Laza 45 said:

Anti-lockdown advocates.. what is your solution to a situation where the virus is not controlled with no end in sight and a destroyed economy.. with no hope of a return to 'normal'.. a tourist industry that is impossible to revive because visitors have no confidence that they are safe here?  

Where is your proof of a virus? The government? Do you have proof the US landed on the moon in the late 60's? They told you they did, so what....  Do you have a cell tower on your roof.. .? Many in thailand do.  You should be more concerned w/ real measurable threats. Yes, I have a meter to measure radiation from cell phones & towers. That is the real danger in today's world.  They told you they were safe, like they went to moon.

They closed the roosevelt bridge on US 1 in FL using a ruse. It's a 24 year old bridge they said was in danger of collapse, in the early reports. They're doing all they can to collapse the economies. The virus is a hoax, like 9/11 and the moon landings & marriage in the US.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:52 PM, steelepulse said:

appreciate a social and sensible debate about covid.  We've all heard from various talking heads about how things need to be locked down to control this raging virus that the cdc says is at .26 percent ifr.  We also know from reading various sources that covid attacks those with weak immune systems and healthy people have not too many issues.

I would love to hear your plans on how to feed unemployed people, how you plan to pay their rent, how you are going to deal with suicides due to unemployment, no food, no housing and all the wonderful things that go along with people experiencing what they are currently dealing with at the moment.

The floor is yours.

This does not seem to be about Thailand

If you are posting about a specific country, you should include that in you OP; Original Post,