Big bike ridden by British man catches fire after flipping on wet highway

webfact

Big bike catches fire after flipping on wet highway

By The Nation

800_a119c505b221a7b.jpg?v=1593321432

A big bike ridden by a British man flipped on a road in Phetchaburi province on Saturday (June 27) and caught fire.

Police from Khao Kho station and a team of rescue volunteers in Khao Kho district rushed to help the victim on Highway No. 2302.

QhYirnDlQ5gfwzO3_055233-(1).jpg

It took the team 15 minutes to extinguish the fire. The rider escaped without serious injuries.

The English tourist was travelling from Chonburi to Khao Kho district for a holiday when his BMW bike slid on the wet road and flipped.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390441

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-29

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

If this was a big bike being ridden by a Thai, would it be news ? Just asking.

Probably would. News these days is full of 'news' about drivers and cars and crime. Anything apart from the 'state of the nation' news and developments.

• Like 1

Sloppy reporting or translation.

That road is in Petchabun not Petchburi. Goes to Khao Khao and is a must ' beauty spot ' for every man and his mate.

What model BMW is that ?

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

For a wet road it looks fairly dry.

Wonder if he just came in too hot and binned it ?

You are correct. Unless the sun shone since the crash and the photos was taken several hours later, IMO that road is dry.

I rode on two wheels in LOS for years and the roads are very sandy as not cleaned. it's not a good place to ride too fast on corners at any time. For all we know he hit a pothole that is out of sight in the photo.

The 2302 is definitely in Petchabun, not Petchaburi.
And yeah, that looks like a pretty dry highway to me. Could be a number of reasons for the accident though. I've ridden on excellent highways and suddenly had the "high speed wobble" (aka the "tank slapper") for no apparent reason. Happened twice on one trip and never before or after that.
(The "high speed wobble" apparently happens when one side of your front tire is rotating faster than the other side. Sounds crazy but the reality is, it only has to be going fractionally faster for the "wobble" to happen.
It is usually caused by low tire pressure or poor tire balancing or possibly an uneven load in the saddlebags if so equipped.)
Both times I had it happen was in a curve as well. Scared the c.rap out of me because I thought the front tire was about to fall off or something.

That highway is pretty "curvy" and goes through a mountainous area.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Khao+Kho+District,+Phetchabun/@16.7138635,101.0590597,12.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x31206a75edd368bd:0x304fb54b0087a10!8m2!3d16.570942!4d101.0259275?hl=en

I was at Khao Kho last year. Bunch of us went there "for lunch" from Pattaya. We took the 21 North until we got to the 12 and then took that West to Khao Kho.
Spent the night, visited the big temple there in the morning and road back to Pattaya. Frikken rained on us in 6 different places along the way. At one point we took shelter in a gas station just before Laem Chabang because we couldn't tell where the road was anymore under all the water. (We got to Naklua and the rain stopped. Got home to Soi Khao Noi and was leaving puddles when I walked away from the bike. Meanwhile it apparently hadn't rained a drop in Pattaya all day.)

Naturally, you should ride "to the road conditions". If it's wet, slow down and give yourself more distance between vehicles and be prepared to stop suddenly (in other words, stay alert).

However, had it been a Thai rider we wouldn't have heard about this. It seems the only time we hear of an accident on a "big bike" involving a Thai rider is if it happens in the city (usually Pattaya) and it's usually someone on a CBR300 or similar sized bike.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

So true.. how he did not account for weather conditions and so on. Blaming all Thai drivers. Now where is the backlash for Brit divers.. ehh.. the silence is deafening.  

Quite predictable. 

When will they ever learn?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Big bike catches fire after flipping on wet highway

This story would be much more newsworthy if the farang in question had a cool, manly callsign* like..."Sparky the Plug or "Big Bad Bikie Boy".

* sorry..."Benz Racing" is taken already.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

This story would be much more newsworthy if the farang in question had a cool, manly callsign* like..."Sparky the Plug or "Big Bad Bikie Boy".

* sorry..."Benz Racing" is taken already.

How about i give him a call sign based on his looks and performance

stocky "no bends" UK ????

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Very lucky man, but glad to hear he is ok. Not only Thais that can´t negotiate the curve in wet conditions. 

All the hundreds Thais negotiate that “wet” curve ok. Everyone successful.

Only the UK crash it. 

Road not look wet. Hmmmm

Maybe go fast? I think it real reason. Bike fire.

• Like 1

saw an amazing bike rider a couple of days ago. Kid of about 15 riding a big bike down a main road, laying flat across the top with his feet pointing to the back of the bike, no helmet or shoes, just hanging on to the handles like a stunt rider. If he had not been going so fast I could have gotten a pic, the most insane thing I have seen recently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Again an apologist good thing you tried to cover yourself by adding if it happens in a city. Otherwise i could have had countless articles and the denigrating replies from foreigners. Now all i see are excuses and no condemnation of the foreign rider. 

It was the road fault. Wet.

I don't like these horrible noisy things. Thailand needs some laws on noise pollution....it is getting ridiculous when every Honda 50 has a straight through, after market, exhaust that makes it sound like a jumbo jet taking off.