BANGKOK
webfact

Big bike ridden by British man catches fire after flipping on wet highway

11 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

saw an amazing bike rider a couple of days ago. Kid of about 15 riding a big bike down a main road, laying flat across the top with his feet pointing to the back of the bike, no helmet or shoes, just hanging on to the handles like a stunt rider. If he had not been going so fast I could have gotten a pic, the most insane thing I have seen recently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's all a question of the speed...

Not entirely. Mix a little water and oil and a bike can shoot from under you while practically standing still. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Sloppy reporting or translation.

That road is in Petchabun not Petchburi. Goes to Khao Khao and is a must ' beauty spot ' for every man and his mate.

What model BMW is that ?

Burnt and Broken, they sell cheap

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's all a question of the speed...

Not necessarily.  I was recently going slowly around a corner on a roundabout when a Thai on a bigger bike roared inside me (I was already keeping left and turning left) and he clipped my frot wheel, tipping me over the front to the left.  Bone dry conditions.

I must have been doing 20kph max and was surprised to see the amount of gravel rash (as well as losing a big toe nail-ouch!).

Left forearm stripped from elbow to wrist, knuckles, both knees and all toes.

Yes, I was dumb enough to have popped out for a short run in my flip flops, shorts and t-shirt.

Just goes to show that you are never too old to learn!

😬

Flame away chaps!

😉

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Never ride my bike on wet roads or bad weather if possible.  2-wheels just do not get enough traction to be safe...

Twaddle. Unless you think this is fake: 

Wet roads require lower speeds, but to say there is insufficient traction is simply wrong. I've ridden with GS1200 riders on TKC80 tires in the rain and they had their panniers on the road in corners. I'm not good enough to get my panniers on the ground (mine are a little higher...) but still there is plenty of grip.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Not necessarily.  I was recently going slowly around a corner on a roundabout when a Thai on a bigger bike roared inside me (I was already keeping left and turning left) and he clipped my frot wheel, tipping me over the front to the left.  Bone dry conditions.

I must have been doing 20kph max and was surprised to see the amount of gravel rash (as well as losing a big toe nail-ouch!).

Left forearm stripped from elbow to wrist, knuckles, both knees and all toes.

Yes, I was dumb enough to have popped out for a short run in my flip flops, shorts and t-shirt.

Just goes to show that you are never too old to learn!

😬

Flame away chaps!

😉

Why flame.. seems you were punished enough. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

i never ride m/bike on wet roads ever !!!

Might be hard to do in the rain season you could go somewhere when its dry and then encounter rain.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

All the hundreds Thais negotiate that “wet” curve ok. Everyone successful.

Only the UK crash it. 

Road not look wet. Hmmmm

Maybe go fast? I think it real reason. Bike fire.

I agree! Road not look wet. Probably just another not so careful guy. If too fast, though? hmmm How do you explain him getting away almost unscratched if fall in high speed wearing an elastic top and jeans? I would like to hear that explanation. 🙂 

Where the F*** did I "apologize" AT ALL for the "foreign" rider's accident ? 

I offered a POSSIBLE explanation for it based on my own experiences riding "big bikes" on Thai roads over the last 12 years.

I also noted that we rarely (as in almost never) hear about accidents like these when they involve a Thai rider (unless it's in the city).
WHY ? Because the people who put these articles on ThaiVisa select things that are more likely to draw the attention of their target audience.

Which, in case you haven't figured it out, is mostly FOREIGNERS. 

And my comment was aimed at the 2nd post in this thread where it was questioned if this would have been "news" if it had of been a Thai rider (instead of a Brit one).

Had this accident been a Thai on a big bike in the same area, it probably wouldn't have been reported in the (English language version) of the Nation and therefore wouldn't have been put on ThaiVisa.
I've attended funerals of Thai friends who died in "big bike" accidents and gee, guess what ? Those accidents weren't reported on ThaiVisa either ! It had nothing to do with who may have been at fault in those accidents.

But almost every accident involving a foreigner IS reported. Regardless of who may have been at fault.
WHY ? Because their target audience is more likely to look at articles where other foreigners are involved. 

Most of you wouldn't even glance at an article about a Thai having an accident on a big bike.

But an article where a foreigner is involved ? Especially one you may have a connection to (i.e. fellow countryman or fellow biker for example).
You are more likely to look at that article and the people who post the news items on ThaiVisa know that.

I wasn't ****ing commenting on who was at fault or suggesting that it wouldn't have happened if the rider had been Thai.

Some of you need to take a chill pill once in awhile. I had actually read ALL the posts up to when I made mine and was trying to respond to 3 of them in a single post, but didn't bother with quoting each bit I was responding to. My bad.

• Like 1

Hope he owned the bike and had it properly insured. Going to be an expensive barbeque if it was rented without proper insurance.

Could be a lot of reasons as already commented. Sand/gravel in the road is also a possibility. Coming too fast into a curve and breaking too hard with the front wheel while bike is laid over is also a bad one.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

So true.. how he did not account for weather conditions and so on. Blaming all Thai drivers. Now where is the backlash for Brit divers.. ehh.. the silence is deafening.  

Quite predictable. 

I didn't read any quotes from the rider

30 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Where the F*** did I "apologize" AT ALL for the "foreign" rider's accident ? 

I offered a POSSIBLE explanation for it based on my own experiences riding "big bikes" on Thai roads over the last 12 years.

I also noted that we rarely (as in almost never) hear about accidents like these when they involve a Thai rider (unless it's in the city).
WHY ? Because the people who put these articles on ThaiVisa select things that are more likely to draw the attention of their target audience.

Which, in case you haven't figured it out, is mostly FOREIGNERS. 

And my comment was aimed at the 2nd post in this thread where it was questioned if this would have been "news" if it had of been a Thai rider (instead of a Brit one).

Had this accident been a Thai on a big bike in the same area, it probably wouldn't have been reported in the (English language version) of the Nation and therefore wouldn't have been put on ThaiVisa.
I've attended funerals of Thai friends who died in "big bike" accidents and gee, guess what ? Those accidents weren't reported on ThaiVisa either ! It had nothing to do with who may have been at fault in those accidents.

But almost every accident involving a foreigner IS reported. Regardless of who may have been at fault.
WHY ? Because their target audience is more likely to look at articles where other foreigners are involved. 

Most of you wouldn't even glance at an article about a Thai having an accident on a big bike.

But an article where a foreigner is involved ? Especially one you may have a connection to (i.e. fellow countryman or fellow biker for example).
You are more likely to look at that article and the people who post the news items on ThaiVisa know that.

I wasn't ****ing commenting on who was at fault or suggesting that it wouldn't have happened if the rider had been Thai.

Some of you need to take a chill pill once in awhile. I had actually read ALL the posts up to when I made mine and was trying to respond to 3 of them in a single post, but didn't bother with quoting each bit I was responding to. My bad.

Sorry but if you read what is posted when Thais are involved in an accident they always blame the rider. Here nobody blames the rider and is making excuses giving reasons why it could have happend. The same does not happen when a a Thai rider has an accident. 

You should seriously look and see the difference in comments. As for me having to take a chill pill I don't start to curse at people like you do. 

You are right that articles about foreigners are more often posted as you so rightly say its a foreign orientated site. However i seen plenty of Thai riders accidents and how the comments go are totally different. 

You might not be to blame for that but in general it is. I am not the only one who sees this at least 2 other posters share the same experience. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

If this was a big bike being ridden by a Thai, would it be news ? Just asking.

Probably didn't even hit the Thai language press.  "The Nation" English edition will obviously seek out stories perhaps of interest to English speakers.   Some days are slow news days so stories such as this fill up empty space.

Nothing sinister here.  Move along.

• Like 1