Man faces four charges for killing elephant in rubber plantation

webfact

Man faces four charges for killing elephant in rubber plantation

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4sFim2RP9q3g0XhHECUl9sla

Police have filed four charges against a man who claims that he had shot and killed a bull elephant in self defence, at a rubber plantation in Kui Buri district of Prachuap Khiri Khan on Saturday.

The suspect, Mr. Narong Ornpakdee, was charged with illegal possession of firearms, carrying a firearm in public without a licence, discharging a firearm in public without adequate reason and killing a protected wildlife species.

Mr. Narong, who was guarding a rubber plantation against foraging elephants, claimed that the 25 to 30 year old bull elephant was about to charge at him, forcing him to fire his shotgun once in self defence.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/man-faces-four-charges-for-killing-elephant-in-rubber-plantation/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Bull elephant do not charge at people unless provoked or in musth, this guy was doing his job a bit too good as the beast was there to forage and there are several ways to scare away an unwanted visitation by foraging animals other than shooting and killing them...

I am not sure they go away when one shout "SHOOOO Go away" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Narong, who was guarding a rubber plantation against foraging elephants, claimed that the 25 to 30 year old bull elephant was about to charge at him, forcing him to fire his shotgun once in self defence.

He would say that wouldn't he?

Or does anyone expect him to say "I wanted to kill this beast because I was angry"

Unfortunately the elephant is not available for a statement

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kingdong said:

surprised he managed to kill a full grown elephant with a shotun.

Big Shotgun with solid Slugs ,Maybe. Only tried that on Big Wild Boar pigs in NQLD Australia . 

I wouldn't even try that on a Buffalo. I would use a   .45-70 for that 

Will the .45-70 kill a Cape Buffalo?

Yes, the .45-70 Government is capable of ethically killing a Cape Buffalo with the right bullets and proper shot placement.      

Edited by digger70
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Would the elephant be tracked down and killed...if it had killed the man?  Seems, on the surface, that he was just doing his job!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

charged with illegal possession of firearms, carrying a firearm in public without a licence, discharging a firearm in public without adequate reason and killing a protected wildlife species.

Without the adequate licenses he's stuffed, killing a protected species he's screwed !

Wasn't his job to do it!