Trump denies being told about Russian bounties to kill U.S. troops in Afghanistan

webfact

40 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Russia offering bounties on the heads of American (and British) servicemen in Afghanistan is entirely believable.

Yes it is, and if true appaling if not particularly surprising.

Can I ask however ( the Pattaya forum may be a better place for this question????) did the CIA and the assortment of other "secret squirrel" organisations which were operating in and around Afghanistan when the Mujahedeen were fighting the Soviets pay any sort of bonus for killing Russians, shooting down helicopters and blowing up supply convoys?

• Thanks 1

Oh imo he was briefed but wasent paying attention or the agency’s are so terrified of trump having a tantrum they dident tell him whatever it was it lacked an appropriate response therefore another failure hopefully it can be proven yea or nay 

• Like 1

Since months The US and the Talibans were negotiating a deal which was finally agreed on, on  February 29th 2020,  and Trump was (or pretends ) not briefed?  

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BestB said:

So in other words, no matter how absurd it is , because you do not like Russia therefore it must be true. 

As I said , If report said Russia provided weapons or support it would make sense, but paying bounty does not , no matter how hard to spin it. 

No. These are your words, again, which you try to misrepresent mine.

First of all, the main focus of the OP is Trump denying being briefed. Trump doesn't claim he was briefed and considered it nonsense, hence ignoring it. Moving on, the issue of whether the report is correct or not is another matter.

As for "because you do not like Russia therefore it must be true", kinda rich considering your posting history and views.

That you refuse to accept reality or choose to play obtuse is totally up to you. I don't recall you having much issues with the concept of incentive, payments and whatnot when discussing these on topic about the Middle East. Granted, Russia wasn't mentioned in that context then, so totally different, of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Oh imo he was briefed but wasent paying attention or the agency’s are so terrified of trump having a tantrum they dident tell him whatever it was it lacked an appropriate response therefore another failure hopefully it can be proven yea or nay 

You  know the old saying about opinions....

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BestB said:

What does destablisimg EU has to do with paying bounty.?

do you seriously do not get that Taliban does not need bounty payments to kill US troops as is 

taliban hates US and has been at war with US for over a decade, they have not stopped or developed love relationship. They do not need incentives 

Do you seriously not get that U.S soldiers are a lot harder and lot risker to kill than Afghani soldiers? Not only are they better armed and protected but they are in much less vulnerable positions. It's a question of risk/reward.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Many, many former white house staff have remarked at Trump's lack of attention to briefings, the need to mention his name over and over to get his attention. He may have been told, but was any test administered to test comprehension? In one ear and out the other

I am no fan of Trump. However, the US as a matter of routine offered big rewards for Bin Laden and lesser figures. I don't think the rewards went down to level of average Taliban grunt, but similar motive. "People respond to incentives" was main idea of fun book "Freakonomics"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Many, many former white house staff have remarked at Trump's lack of attention to briefings, the need to mention his name over and over to get his attention. He may have been told, but was any test administered to test comprehension? In one ear and out the other

I am no fan of Trump. However, the US as a matter of routine offered big rewards for Bin Laden and lesser figures. I don't think the rewards went down to level of average Taliban grunt, but similar motive. "People respond to incentives" was main idea of fun book "Freakonomics"

So you're equating the reward for Bin Laden with the reward for random US military personnel?  From a US President's perspective, the big difference is one is in the national interest of the US, the other is not.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BestB said:

They do not and did not need any incentives , already hate and happy to kill. Or you think with being paid per head. They will kill same soldier twice ?

Gotta ask ya' this - when someone straps on a vest packed with explosives and wanders into a market-place to wipe out whoever - is the raft of virgins offered for this action not an incentive, or is the hate factor alone sufficient?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BestB said:

All you trump haters will bite on anything . Why on earth would Russia offer money to taliban to kill US soldiers when taliban does it and has been doing it for years . And does not need any incentives. Makes no sense at all. 

if report said Russia sold or provided weapons , then it’s believable but paying bounty just does not make any sense 

The taleban likely had lots of weapons left from the time they were known as the mujahadeen and the US supplied them with huge amounts of weapons to dislodge the Soviets.