Pattaya: No singing and dancing? Bar hoppers set to stay home rather than risk a night out

webfact

Pattaya: No singing and dancing? Bar hoppers set to stay home rather than risk a night out

1pm.jpg

A leading nightlife operator in Pattaya has told the media that some of the 22 measures in place to allow the opening of pubs and club are just plain dumb. 

Narathip Fakrick - who owns restaurants and nighttime venues - told 77kaoded that he understands the need to get the industry up and running again.

Landlords in Pattaya have not lowered rents and owners are desperate for a restart.

2020-06-28_11-30-59.jpg

But some of the new Phase 5 rules are just too much, he said. 

There is no way he can stop singing and dancing of patrons at his establishments, he said, and such restrictions are likely to make potential patrons stay home rather than risk a night out. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-29

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I remember the 10 massage girls fighting in the street over a fat old white guy, in a news item from last week.

Like that, but hopefully sexier women with less clothing !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Khun P said:

Are you allowed to tap your feet to the Music? 

Only with the right foot, while wearing goverment approved foot coverings, to goverment aproved tunes and at government aproved tempos.

5 hours ago, scandream said:

Absolutely incomprehensible what a ban on singing and music, loud or quiet, has to do with covid-19.

In THEORY (!) when singing you might expel water droplets out of your mouth more than you do when talking.......allegedly 

Don't shoot the messenger....please!

12 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

if there is no reported case in Thailand why are they having these rules ?

Because no reported cases does not actually 100% confirm there are no cases in the country. There might be a few odd ones bouncing between people who are asymtomatic, have mild symptomes, or think it is something else, and do not seek medical attention. Some distancing and other measures may eliminate these.

• Like 1

As for the rules.
Once again. They aren't concerned about the covid issue in Thailand. They are concerned about the possibility that all the people they plan on letting in starting on 1 July may bring it with them.

Some of the people they plan on allowing into the country won't even have to be quarantined. So the "businessman" here for a weekend conference can fly in on 1 July, go to a dozen bars and massage parlours the first night, attend a packed conference the next day, go to a bunch more bars that night and fly out the next day.

Multiplied by dozens (hundreds) of other "short term" visitors that the gov't has said won't need to be quarantined.

Some people will be quarantined though. (At who's cost ?) 
From what I've read though, it won't make much of a difference unless they develop noticeable symptoms, which a lot of infected people don't. So dozens of infected people could spend 2 weeks in quarantine and not show any signs of infection, then be let loose to (go to a few bars and then go see the wife and tell her they kept you in quarantine for a couple extra days "just to be safe").

Here's something a lot of you probably don't know.

Do you know why they give you a straw to drink almost anything that comes in a bottle ?

Thailand had an epidemic of a different kind not all that long ago (25 years maybe ?). Hepatitis. 
By investigating and tracing the spread backwards (to try and find "patient zero") they learned that the outbreak had been spread in large part by people (of all walks of life) sharing things like water bottles.

It used to be quite common for people to buy the 5 baht "filtered" water that came in cheap 1 litre bottles. Groups would gather for a meal and pass around a single bottle. All it took was for one person in that group to be infected and now all of them were.
Then they go off to work, or back home and in turn infect more people.

Once the authorities learned how the disease was being spread, they started a campaign to encourage people to start using straws and not drink from the bottle directly.
Once the people bought into that, they were able to contain the spread of the disease and while it hasn't been wiped out, it's nowhere near as big a problem as it used to be.

I don't recall it being a problem back in 1993, but in 1998 everyone was using straws to drink from bottles and coolers of iced water.

Feb 1998.
There is a straw in each bottle. The ones in the soda bottle look longer because the bubble from the carbonation make them "float" higher in the bottle. They'd been taught to use a straw to drink from a bottle even if they weren't sharing the bottle.
People were shocked when I'd open a Coke and drink straight from the bottle. They hadn't been taught that it wasn't the bottle that was the problem. It was sharing a bottle with someone who was infected that was the problem (and I wasn't sharing my drinks with anyone).
laofood.jpg.e5248710f4d9875e0eed88957f13a0f7.jpg

Then you go to a bar and there'd be a bottle of water with 4-5 straws sticking out of it and the girls would just drink from whichever one they grabbed first. Or they'd have one of those insulated "ice jugs" with a bunch of melting ice and a dozen straws sticking out of it.

I'd notice some girls would grab a new (clean) straw and take a drink. Sometimes they'd leave the straw in the bottle/jug, sometimes they'd throw it away.

So they didn't quite know the real reason for the problem, but were still able to contain it to the point it's no longer a major issue. And they are still drinking everything through a straw these days.
(Remember that pic of the cop on the beach next to a group of people sitting on a mat, with a can of Chang beer in the sand - with a straw sticking out of it.)

The authorities are trying to do the same thing with the covid virus now.
They've contained it in the country (supposedly) and are trying to prevent a resurgence that would be spread (mostly) by person-to-person contact in close proximity. Like "public relations" personnel sitting on customers laps, drinking, laughing, groping (maybe singing and dancing too) !

I like to think that it has been pretty much contained in the country because if it hadn't been, it would have been spreading like wildfire and they couldn't suppress all the news about all the people that would have been filling the hospitals (and morgues) over the last couple of months.

Not everyone would have "mild" reactions to the virus as we know and not everyone would be "asymptomatic". A very large percentage would show symptoms, a very large number of them would be hospitalized and a very large number of them (especially among the elderly) would be dead.

And despite what some people think - there is no way the government could cover that up in Thailand. Not on that scale.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

What music?

Last year I watched two smart young men collect a (brown) envelope from my favourite quiet bar.  I asked what the money was for.  'A music licence' my companion told me.  'But you haven't any speakers or players.  That's why I come here.'

She shrugged knowingly.

So the go go dancers standing hanging on a post shuffling their feet will now be able to say they are just following the government edict.  The 22 rules will make for some boring bar evenings - sitting a meter away from each other, no contact, masked, no pool, no darts.  May as well sit on the sidewalk at 7-11 where drinks are cheaper and the girls are strutting up and down the streets.

• Like 2

For years people have whined about always being pestered by girls in bars and being expected to buy lady drinks for them.

Now they have the perfect excuse to say No ! Just point to Rule # (whatever) and say "sorry, no can - covid rules" and that's it ! They have to stay away and if they aren't sitting with you they can't expect you to buy drinks for them (and their 20 "sisters") !

Then you can drink in peace while ogling the offerings, pay your bin and leave your usual 10 baht tip (because you are not just a "hansum man" you are also "jai dee mak mak") !

And if you do see a "public relations" staff member that you'd like to have examine your "member" a little closer, you can be content in the knowledge that, as there are probably no other customers present, you won't have any competition for a "consultation" with her later on.

And can probably barter down her "appearance" fee a whole lot too !!

More likely is that people are anxious to finally be able to go to a bar again... and break every single rule. The bars won’t enforce because they are just happy to have customers again and then they will be shut down.

16 hours ago, Kerryd said:

For years people have whined about always being pestered by girls in bars and being expected to buy lady drinks for them.

Now they have the perfect excuse to say No ! Just point to Rule # (whatever) and say "sorry, no can - covid rules" and that's it ! They have to stay away and if they aren't sitting with you they can't expect you to buy drinks for them (and their 20 "sisters") !

Then you can drink in peace while ogling the offerings, pay your bin and leave your usual 10 baht tip (because you are not just a "hansum man" you are also "jai dee mak mak") !

And if you do see a "public relations" staff member that you'd like to have examine your "member" a little closer, you can be content in the knowledge that, as there are probably no other customers present, you won't have any competition for a "consultation" with her later on.

And can probably barter down her "appearance" fee a whole lot too !!

10 baht tip? 5s enough don,t go spoiling it for the rest of us.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2020 at 8:53 AM, Kerryd said:

By investigating and tracing the spread backwards (to try and find "patient zero") they learned that the outbreak had been spread in large part by people (of all walks of life) sharing things like water bottles.

You sure it wasn't rats running over the stacked bottles that caused the problem?

https://www.pctonline.com/article/vertebrate-pests--do-rats-transmit-hepatitis-/

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1