Alleged cop killer: Red Bull heir has seven years until his case runs out

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A senior public prosecutor in the case of alleged cop killer Vorayuth Yoovidhya said they have seven years until the case runs out.

Yeah, but no hurry then. As you were guys

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

500 people a day get run over / killed on Thai roads and there must be many people who leave the scene of the accident and dont face prosecution , I just wondered why people focus on this particular case

because he's a spoiled brat..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

500 people a day get run over / killed on Thai roads and there must be many people who leave the scene of the accident and dont face prosecution , I just wondered why people focus on this particular case

500 people get run over or killed, but none of those people we know. 

We all know Red Bull, we all have heard of the family who owns it and how rich they are, and we now all know of "Boss" and what he did.

If you garner the same amount of media attention for any other case here in Thailand, i bet the same number of people would focus on that case also. Especially if that Somchai was getting away with bribing himself out of trouble, and if it showed the corruption of the police force all the way to the absolute top that obviously.

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Nearly 8 years and still nothing. If only Thailand had someone like Batman. Sorry, I've been watching too many movies. If only they had some strong and commanding figure. An army type maybe. Someone who could come in, have complete power and who would vow to end corruption and reform the police. A man who could return happiness to the people. 

Oh, well. Until someone like that comes along, the corruption and injustice will continue to get worse and unabated, I guess. 

They have an intelligent BMW ................LOL

I do not see him facing jail time. 

We all know how it works here, and him coming from a wealthy background, I say all higher ups can be bought.

That is part of the criteria to be promoted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Nearly 8 years and still nothing. If only Thailand had someone like Batman. Sorry, I've been watching too many movies. If only they had some strong and commanding figure. An army type maybe. Someone who could come in, have complete power and who would vow to end corruption and reform the police. A man who could return happiness to the people. 

Oh, well. Until someone like that comes along, the corruption and injustice will continue to get worse and unabated, I guess. 

Here was I thinking that's what was the intention and promise of the current lot of pretenders - but then I remembered where is was. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut said that the case falls into the categories needed to extradite a fugitive. 

But the prosecutor's office will only act if they are instructed to do so by the Royal Thai Police. 

Prayut is scared of Chakthip. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Here was I thinking that's what was the intention and promise of the current lot of pretenders - but then I remembered where is was. 

The 'Statute of limitation' should be removed in cases like this one where the defendant has never shown up in court.

8 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

The 'Statute of limitation' should be removed in cases like this one where the defendant has never shown up in court.

wouldn't make any difference. 

42 minutes ago, Paiman said:

I do not see him facing jail time. 

We all know how it works here, and him coming from a wealthy background, I say all higher ups can be bought.

That is part of the criteria to be promoted. 

not too many higher-ups in this case, nothing has happened or will happen as they are the higher-ups. 

• Thanks 1

He didnt and most likely wont go to jail, which is unfair and i dont agree with that, but who am i? Seems like everybody involved the police and the victims family and the Red Bull family, have made a deal satisfactory for all parties and obviously decided to let it go. So like it or not, although he didnt go to jail, he and his family must have paid a huge price for it, so case closed. 

Its not uncommon in some cultures the possibility to pay the victim or his family to avoid jail time. 

• Like 1

He's probably whopping it up in Dubai along with that other fugitive. The one England refused to extradite as well (at least while he was still the owner of the football club that is). I think his sister, another fugitive with an Interpol notice outstanding, is still in the UK is she not ? Or has she moved to Dubai with big brother as well ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Keep on dreaming man, you are talking about "The Land of Brown Envelopes".

25 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Check under the Thonglor Commissioner's mattress & his bank accounts both in Thailand 

& abroad. Keep screwing up the paperwork boys

believe it was the translation into English that was the main problem.

If he (or his family) did pay off the dead cop's family, then the charges would have been dropped and all forgiven.

Just like when that minor actress killed the cop who was asleep in his (personal) car on the side of the road (where he'd stopped on the way back to his home province after attending a conference in Bangkok) back in 2015.

She didn't flee the scene, however the cop who arrived was conned into letting her go home (because she was crying) and never even breathalyzed her first ! She showed up at the police station (sober) the next day.

In the end, she spent what, 3 days in a temple and paid a couple million to the cops family.
She also got a whopping 2 year jail sentence - suspended of course - and a 10,000 baht fine along with having to see a probation officer 4 times - in one year ! Oh and she had to do 24 hours of community service too, the poor thing.
https://thairesidents.com/local/actress-anna-reese-gets-probation-drunk-driving/

2 years later she was arrested again after getting into an altercation at a bar then crashing her Mercedes when trying to flee from the bar. She got an amazing 2 month sentence - suspended of course - and a 20,000 baht fine !
https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30315996

Apparently, even if you are a minor celebrity you can get away with killing a cop here. 

And remember that rich girl who killed a bunch of people (I think she rammed a minivan on an overpass or something) and she was photographed at the scene calmly texting on her cellphone as though nothing happened. 9 dead and not a day in jail.

Whatever did happen to her ? 
"Orachorn “Praewa” Thephasadin Na Ayudhya was 16 when she drove her car into a Thammasat University van on Dec. 27, 2010, killing nine people. Since then, she’s become a symbol of the wealthy and powerful avoiding jail after committing serious crimes. Instead of time in prison, she was ordered to serve 138 hours of community service, which was only completed in 2016."

Took her 6 years to do 138 hours of community service and apparently she never said sorry or compensated the victims !
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2019/07/16/9-years-on-crash-victims-say-praewa-gave-no-compensation/

(Rumours at the time suggest that her last name had a lot to do with her not getting any jail time at all. Can't discuss such matters on ThaiVisa though.........)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I will skip stating the obvious....

The fact that the statute of limitations allows people to flee prosecution is bad law.  If someone flees the jurisdiction to avoid prosecution - the clock for the statute of limitations should be stopped (i.e. it will not continue run until he returns for prosecution)... In that case there would be no 2027 deadline.  The fact this has not been changed is obviously people in power want to avoid closing this loophole.

I just do not understand why he did a runner,the cops family was compensated and he would have only

got a fine and a suspended sentence.

Maybe the family decided he should leave for awhile to protect the good family name?

Must be more to this story,but we will probably never find out.

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

So, why doesn't the cops instruct them and ask for an extradition order from whichever country he's living in, and put him on Interpol's “Red Notice”, etc.?

I'll give you a clue, it sounds like honey and gives the corrupt the ability to line their filthy pockets. 

58 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

He's probably whopping it up in Dubai along with that other fugitive. The one England refused to extradite as well (at least while he was still the owner of the football club that is). I think his sister, another fugitive with an Interpol notice outstanding, is still in the UK is she not ? Or has she moved to Dubai with big brother as well ?

She cannot be extradited from the UK because she has been charged with "negligence" I believe. Under UK law a politician cannot be charge for this so it is not common law, only common law can be used in extradition. However back on topic, this red bull scumbag is guilty of killing a policeman whilst being <deleted> behind the wheel, if it is manslaughter for example that is common law and he would face extradition.