Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Covid-19 effect: Unemployment in Thailand highest in 20 years, says think tank

Recommended Posts

Covid-19 effect: Unemployment in Thailand highest in 20 years, says think tank

 

7pm.jpg

 

A leading think tank that helps inform government policy has declared that more people are out of work in Thailand than at any time in the last 20 years.

 

The Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI) said that 8 to 12 times more people are out of work now compared to the same period last year. 

 

This means that 4.6 million of the 38.19 million strong workforce are without jobs at the moment. 

 

The TDRI said that the severe economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic would only see signs of recovery in the fourth quarter of this year.

 

Even then the country should expect an economic slowdown for the next two to three years.

 

Source: Channel 7

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-29
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i suggest focusing on hi so tourism to reduce the numbers ? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is more important to have 0 cases in 35 consecutive days than highest unemployment in 20 years, that means that unemployment is even higher than post 1997 era...

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webfact said:

Covid-19 effect: Unemployment in Thailand highest in 20 years, says think tank

however, the think tank is still fully employed... who would have thunk it (not me in my tank)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be overly sarcastic, but I hope the members of this "think tank" are well payed, for such groundbreaking discoveries!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mr mr said:

i suggest focusing on hi so tourism to reduce the numbers ? 

Nailed it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A figure of 4.6 Million without work at present seems to me to be on the low side.

The one thing that is certain is that the figure will rise in Months to come, as the full impact of Covid hits the Thai Economy.

Manufacturing output was down Y on Y over 23% during May, and with many Companies still making  ( to put to stock ) which is a policy that is very short term for the Workers,this will soon dry up and the Workers will be laid off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is a think tank the new word for one of their hundred or so committees ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NB1986 said:

Is more important to have 0 cases in 35 consecutive days than highest unemployment in 20 years, that means that unemployment is even higher than post 1997 era...

Well 20 years ago Thailand was under the Democratic party and Chuan Leekpai and recovering from the 1997 Tom Yam Gung crisis.

 

Strangely enough the Democratic party is in the coalition government and Chuan Leekpai is the speaker of the House.

 

Thaksin didn't get voted in as PM until 9th February 2001.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

A figure of 4.6 Million without work at present seems to me to be on the low side.

The one thing that is certain is that the figure will rise in Months to come, as the full impact of Covid hits the Thai Economy.

Manufacturing output was down Y on Y over 23% during May, and with many Companies still making  ( to put to stock ) which is a policy that is very short term for the Workers,this will soon dry up and the Workers will be laid off.

I agree.  

World demand on everything was basically halted for 3 months and all those factories need to sit idle for the equivalent of those 3 months.  Plus the demand is no longer going to be there until the pandemic is gone.  

It's not looking good at all, but at least this is probably the low.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...