Covid-19: Pictures of raw human emotion drive home devastating effect of pandemic on workers

webfact

Covid-19: Pictures of raw human emotion drive home devastating effect of pandemic on workers

8pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Netizens in Thailand reacted in large numbers to a post about two people having to part due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

There were tears and hugs as a pick-up was loaded with personal possessions and one of the ladies was set to return home to Buriram. 

It appeared on a Facebook fan page and appeared to be workers parting.

Daily News said in a commentary that the pandemic has caused damage to health, the economy and tourism. There have been widespread redundancies and business closures. 

The pictures on Facebook encapsulated the human economic tragedy.

The media said that workers were being laid off by companies throughout Thailand. 

Elsewhere the worst unemployment figures in 20 years were reported.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-29

I am still totally amazed how much Thai ruk Thai!

Especially the government, giving financial handouts left and right, to help their fellow men/ women, who got into deep doo doo, by no fault of their own...:coffee1:

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, bodga said:

Meantime, with the brains of a peanut between them my two staff have left with no notice at this  time when many can't  find work.

The man was a  good  worker the women started off well but then started taking longer and longer breaks, Wife mentioned the 4.5  hour  lunch breaks to her in a very gentle Thai way 3  days  ago, the next day they left.

Id  just spent 4 months  building them a brand  new  house and we'd  finished it a  week before they'd  left.

They arrived with not a penny between them 22  months  ago, but as Ive seen before, no discussion just up and  go, slightest  offence and theyr'e  off.

The  saddest part was their 9 year old  girl who we always had a good laugh with, bought her a bicycle and  a pet hamster, she wanted to take the hamster but the stupid easily  offended man said she could  not bring it.

Our  local Policeman told us they'd  worked for a German before and  the man  drank too  much and they were sacked from there.

He  drank here too hiding the bottles in a neighbours  plot  of  land which I found, I had no problems with his drinking  and told  him so as it didn't  affect his  work, i did  tell him to not throw his  old  bottles  in the neighbours  land though.

Anyway, theyv'e  gone and if they get another  job  who  knows, I get  tired of "babysitting"  staff  here, they all follow the same modus  operandi, often start well then slowly get worse until they do almost  nothing, then when mentioned off they go    like immature children.

Doesn't  mattter  what you pay them, how well you treat  them they just don't  care, short sighted to say the least.

Same here with thai staff. U tell them off next day they quit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The media said that workers were being laid off by companies throughout Thailand.

Which proves the knock-on affect of this whole debacle isn't over yet by a long way.... wait to see how many bars/clubs/entertainment venues go bust before tourists arrive back to save the day !

2 hours ago, Xaos said:

Los Angeles 0.18%

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8244533/What-REAL-death-rate-COVID-19-Data-LA-suggests-kill-0-18-patients.html

In,same article UK had 13% but they count only very sick ppl and no mild and asymptomatics. 

The death rate from COVID-19 is likely around 0.66%, if counting the mild or asymptomatic cases, according to a new study

https://www.livescience.com/death-rate-lower-than-estimates.html

New estimate by CDC reduces COVID-19 death rate to just 0.26% (IFR) from WHO’s 3.4%

https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/data-cdc-estimates-covid-19-mortality-rate/275-fc43f37f-6764-45e3-b615-123459f0082b

https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/data-cdc-estimates-covid-19-mortality-rate/275-fc43f37f-6764-45e3-b615-123459f0082b

I know some still thinks it's 3.4% 

If u minus all fake and false positives add all mild and asymptomatic its 0.1% just like flu. 

"

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA 

Blood samples in Los Angeles suggest the coronavirus death rate could be around 0.18 per cent.

A study of 846 people found roughly 4.1 per cent of the county’s 3.9million population has antibodies to the virus.

It means that roughly 330,000 people have already caught the illness and built up some immunity to it.

There were officially 600 COVID-19 deaths when the research was conducted on April 20.

This suggests that around 0.18 per cent of patients fall victim to the disease. 

CHELSEA, BOSTON

US researchers in Boston found almost a third (31.5 per cent) of residents in the suburb of Chelsea had antibodies for the virus.

They collected blood samples from 200 random volunteers and said roughly 63 people had probably caught the illness.

The city of Chelsea is home to around 40,160 people. If the results were to be extrapolated to the whole city, it suggests 12,650 may have actually been infected."

Two months is a long time in a pandemic. The Daily Mail article is dated 22nd April. Since then there has been rather more testing and rather more deaths. As at yesterday the US had tested 32.5m people. 2.6m postives (8%). 32.5 million is probably a better sample than the 846/200 cases quoted.

Brazil figures are 3m tested, 1,3m positive (43%)

5 hours ago, webfact said:

pictures of rawhuman emotion drive home devastating effect of pandemic on workers

shouldn't it be

pictures of raw human emotion drive home devastating effect of inappropriate over the top action of governments

Does anybody know reliable  numbers of total death rate during this year in comparison to previous years?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no difference

Has anything been won by those government measures?

(I mean except increase of unemployment, bancruptcies poverty and suicide rates)

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

shouldn't it be

pictures of raw human emotion drive home devastating effect of inappropriate over the top action of governments

Does anybody know reliable  numbers of total death rate during this year in comparison to previous years?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no difference

Has anything been won by those government measures?

(I mean except increase of unemployment, bancruptcies poverty and suicide rates)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53073046

"Thailand (1st March - 31st May) -

The number of deaths in Thailand has been 2% higher than average, with about 2,400 more people dying than usual.

Official Covid-19 deaths

Other excess deaths

2,316"

The articles lists a number of countries with wildly varying figures. Only Norway and Japan are less than Thailand's 2% excess deaths.

3 hours ago, bodga said:

Meantime, with the brains of a peanut between them my two staff have left with no notice at this  time when many can't  find work.

The man was a  good  worker the women started off well but then started taking longer and longer breaks, Wife mentioned the 4.5  hour  lunch breaks to her in a very gentle Thai way 3  days  ago, the next day they left.

Id  just spent 4 months  building them a brand  new  house and we'd  finished it a  week before they'd  left.

They arrived with not a penny between them 22  months  ago, but as Ive seen before, no discussion just up and  go, slightest  offence and theyr'e  off.

The  saddest part was their 9 year old  girl who we always had a good laugh with, bought her a bicycle and  a pet hamster, she wanted to take the hamster but the stupid easily  offended man said she could  not bring it.

Our  local Policeman told us they'd  worked for a German before and  the man  drank too  much and they were sacked from there.

He  drank here too hiding the bottles in a neighbours  plot  of  land which I found, I had no problems with his drinking  and told  him so as it didn't  affect his  work, i did  tell him to not throw his  old  bottles  in the neighbours  land though.

Anyway, theyv'e  gone and if they get another  job  who  knows, I get  tired of "babysitting"  staff  here, they all follow the same modus  operandi, often start well then slowly get worse until they do almost  nothing, then when mentioned off they go    like immature children.

Doesn't  mattter  what you pay them, how well you treat  them they just don't  care, short sighted to say the least.

General farm work was it ?

11 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

General farm work was it ?

Kind  of  but  really not a lot, more taking care of my  large  garden, keeping  it  tidy, blowing  up leaves(petrol leaf  blowers  no brooms  here)

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

My wife had a similar experience when working as an office manager.

3 girls walked out because she told them 8am means starting work not starting to chat to each other and eat breakfast until 9am.

Yes, incredible isn't  it, like spoilt  brats,my Wife said when she was young and the  boss  said  jump, you said  how  high. Shes  only 44 now.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Once again proving Thailand's cure is far worse than the actual disease.

Are you out of your mind? Thailand's response has been perfect. No new Covid-19 infections in a month! There are 10,000 new cases per day in Florida alone and 5% are going to die! What would you rather have Thailand or Florida? The ignorance of that post is remarkable.  

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Xaos said:

Same here with thai staff. U tell them off next day they quit. 

Yes they seem to be easily offended and it is all about saving Face unfortunately.  Happened with two we had employed for house keeping and such.  GF asked each one to take care of certain chores daily.  They were both lazy and could care less, spent time on there phones and screwing off.  GF talked to them each separately and they both quit the next day.  Easy as pie to do the jobs they were paid for, just looking for a free handout with doing as little work as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pinot said:

Are you out of your mind? Thailand's response has been perfect. No new Covid-19 infections in a month! There are 10,000 new cases per day in Florida alone and 5% are going to die! What would you rather have Thailand or Florida? The ignorance of that post is remarkable.  

0.1% of that 10k will die

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes they seem to be easily offended and it is all about saving Face unfortunately.  Happened with two we had employed for house keeping and such.  GF asked each one to take care of certain chores daily.  They were both lazy and could care less, spent time on there phones and screwing off.  GF talked to them each separately and they both quit the next day.  Easy as pie to do the jobs they were paid for, just looking for a free handout with doing as little work as possible.

Yes, same here with many, in fact the jobs are  not  hard and I've done  them  all so I  know exactly whats required and how  long each takes.

One of them made watering last  all day yet I  know I could do the lot in 2.5  hours.

They have no  money and never save, its easy to see why so many stay  poor when here they have no  bills  at all unless they buy any food and even then they could  grow there  own. We  have ample free fish too, but its  just never  enough for them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, overherebc said:

My wife had a similar experience when working as an office manager.

3 girls walked out because she told them 8am means starting work not starting to chat to each other and eat breakfast until 9am.

Our gardener left last month. She started off working very hard but after 18 months she pretty much refused to do anything except water the plants, when she showed up anyway. We treated her well and sometimes used to buy her small gifts like an electric fan or t-shirts for her niece.

The final straw was when 2 of our dogs had a bit of a scrap and one of them ran off into the field to nurse it's pride/wounds. When my girlfriend asked her to help look for the injured dog the gardener stormed off saying "you care more about the dog than me". The gardener was completely uninjured in fact she was nowhere near the fight, simply jealous of the concern my girlfriend had for the injured dog. Haven't seen her since, the nutter ????.