Covid-19: Pictures of raw human emotion drive home devastating effect of pandemic on workers

webfact

22 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

That is a bit of a sad thing to say. We cannot say if that is true.

Perhaps the cure saved 10,000's of lives? Maybe more.

The UK and USA did not take the cure until too late. The Swedes did not take the cure at all. We are all safer here because of it.

I may not agree with almost all that this group in charge do, but I was happy to be 'locked down'.

Perhaps.

On the other hand, if you accept the other numbers to be true,

Say Thailand workforce to be 30million....20% unemployment means 6 millions...

Plus the lives of dependents of that 6millions, the children, the old parents.

As inhumane for some, I bent to choose the livelihood of the 6 million plus vs the possible 10k death ( which is "only" half of the country's yearly road tall).

If there isn't a winner, make the majority the less losers. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Deli said:

Useless lockdowns here and in so many other countries killing decades of built up economies and livelyhoods. Paranoia and the hunger for power rules.

It's interesting how the virus deniers always tend to like to talk in percentages, and not in actual numbers of sick and dead people. The virus pandemic is nowhere near done and in fact is accelerating in many places, and the sick and dead continue to mount around the world.

From Johns Hopkins daily COVID report:

EPI UPDATE The WHO COVID-19 Situation Report for June 28 reports 9.84 million cases (189,077 new) and 495,760 deaths (4,612 new). This is the highest daily incidence reported to date, and the global totals could surpass 10 million cases and 500,000 deaths in today’s Situation Report. The pandemic continues its acceleration.
UNITED STATES
The US CDC reported 2.50 million total cases (44,703 new) and 125,484 deaths (508 new). The CDC reported the United States’ 2 highest daily totals over the past 2 days, and 4 of the top 5 over the past 4 days. 

• Haha 1

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-06-26/inside-the-body-the-coronavirus-is-even-more-sinister-than-scientists-had-realized

Covid is much deadlier and creative than people give it credit for.  California ICU's are at max capacity right now and its not looking good.  Cities are shutting down again.  People need to get over the issue of their personal freedoms and rights being taken away, and accept what they can not.

• Sad 1

On 6/29/2020 at 2:13 PM, bodga said:

Meantime, with the brains of a peanut between them my two staff have left with no notice at this  time when many can't  find work.

The man was a  good  worker the women started off well but then started taking longer and longer breaks, Wife mentioned the 4.5  hour  lunch breaks to her in a very gentle Thai way 3  days  ago, the next day they left.

Id  just spent 4 months  building them a brand  new  house and we'd  finished it a  week before they'd  left.

They arrived with not a penny between them 22  months  ago, but as Ive seen before, no discussion just up and  go, slightest  offence and theyr'e  off.

The  saddest part was their 9 year old  girl who we always had a good laugh with, bought her a bicycle and  a pet hamster, she wanted to take the hamster but the stupid easily  offended man said she could  not bring it.

Our  local Policeman told us they'd  worked for a German before and  the man  drank too  much and they were sacked from there.

He  drank here too hiding the bottles in a neighbours  plot  of  land which I found, I had no problems with his drinking  and told  him so as it didn't  affect his  work, i did  tell him to not throw his  old  bottles  in the neighbours  land though.

Anyway, theyv'e  gone and if they get another  job  who  knows, I get  tired of "babysitting"  staff  here, they all follow the same modus  operandi, often start well then slowly get worse until they do almost  nothing, then when mentioned off they go    like immature children.

Doesn't  mattter  what you pay them, how well you treat  them they just don't  care, short sighted to say the least.

"Doesn't  mattter  what you pay them...".

How much were you paying them, how many days per week were they working, how many hours per day, what work did they have to do?

Edited by JimmyJ

2 hours ago, losgrad said:

"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety."

Thomas Jefferson

That works when you have a populace with IQ over 70. Resisting something that makes sense just because of resisting is being a teenager. 

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Cities are shutting down again.  People need to get over the issue of their personal freedoms and rights being taken away, and accept what they can not.

Yeah some people need to get used to seeing their kids starving at home, get over some loved one committing suicide for loneliness and depression, and all of that nonsense!

Edited by andux
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's interesting how the virus deniers always tend to like to talk in percentages, and not in actual numbers of sick and dead people. The virus pandemic is nowhere near done and in fact is accelerating in many places, and the sick and dead continue to mount around the world.

From Johns Hopkins daily COVID report:

Nobody has accurate numbers. China is obviously hiding true numbers for political reasons, Thailand probably the same. Thailand has flat out stated they are not even trying to test on a large scale.

In the USA they are doing large amounts of tests so obviously reported cases will be higher. Also the government is subsidizing hospitals for each corona virus case they treat. There is a financial incentive to list patients as positive regardless of what they are being treated for. There is a famous case where a man shot himself in the head and lived several days in the hospital. The hospital tested him and found he was positive for corona. When he eventually died he was counted as a corona death. Extreme case but who knows how many more "corona" deaths are of a dubious nature due to financial incentives to count them that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim207 said:

Extreme case but who knows how many more "corona" deaths are of a dubious nature due to financial incentives to count them that way.

1, At least for the U.S., a variety of public health experts have said that the numbers of officially tallied COVID cases and the numbers of COVID related deaths in the U.S. are likely UNDERcounts, not overcounts, of the actual cases, contrary to your implication above.

2. While the federal government has committed to help hospitals with COVID expenses for uninsured patients (not on a per patient basis but on some kind of vague general relief measures), and there are some added reimbursements for Medicare patients, I haven't seen anything saying that the feds are going to reimburse hospitals for ALL COVID patients on a per patient basis.  If you believe that's true, you should post some link(s) supporting that.

PS - It would appear, the claim you're making above is a largely debunked claim made by a conservative website.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/04/22/politifact-on-hospitals-and-the-possible-financial-incentive-of-covid-19-patients/

The article was posted on WorldNetDaily, a conservative news website. It was produced by The Spectator, which describes itself as a conservative publication. The Spectator reported on comments made by Dr. Scott Jensen, a Minnesota physician and Republican state senator, in an interview with Fox News host Laura Ingraham.

The article was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed.

As for the suggestion that there is an overcount of COVID-19 cases, "the data has suggested that, in fact, there’s a significant undercount of deaths due to COVID," Jennifer Kates, the Kaiser Family Foundation’s director of global health & HIV policy, told PolitiFact.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

14 hours ago, losgrad said:

"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety."

Thomas Jefferson

Somehow, I don't think Jefferson was talking about global health pandemics / contagious and potentially fatal diseases and government efforts to combat those when he made the comment about public safety.

On 6/29/2020 at 12:43 PM, Tropicalevo said:

That is a bit of a sad thing to say. We cannot say if that is true.

Perhaps the cure saved 10,000's of lives? Maybe more.

The UK and USA did not take the cure until too late. The Swedes did not take the cure at all. We are all safer here because of it.

I may not agree with almost all that this group in charge do, but I was happy to be 'locked down'.

If you think Thailand actually did something to slow things down you need to open your eyes. Have you been walking around the last couple months? 

Governments do not stop pandemics any more than they stop tsunamis. 

I actually don't mind that Thailand basks in the glory of their success, I am just not too blind to see it was nothing they did in particular that helped. The properties of the organism simply do not thrive as much here. 

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Somehow, I don't think Jefferson was talking about global health pandemics / contagious and potentially fatal diseases and government efforts to combat those when he made the comment about public safety.

He knew exactly what he was saying, hopefully you will one day too. 

• Thanks 1