Flying into Chiang Mai from abroad

scorecard

Just wondering if any members are aware of any recent instances of foreigners flying directly into Chiang Mai on a scheduled commercial flight (not repatriation flight).

If yes, would it be possible, please to ask a few questions, for example:

- I assume the passenger had the required: recent Covid 19 test report obtained in the departing country and shown at check-in in the departing country?  And a  fit to fly document stamped by a Thai embassy in/near the departing country. Is that all correct?

- Was it necessary to land at CM International Airport with a confirmed 14 day booking at a quarantine hotel? Is yes can we all please share: was it a hotel authorized by the Thai Health Ministry for Thai and foreign passengers? Or was it not possible to book / show booking for a foreigner at a quarantine hotel designated as available to Thai passengers? i.e. quarantine hotel specifically for foreigners? If this the case can anybody share a current list of quarantine hotels for foreigners and pricing etc. 

- In this situation has anybody heard of being allowed to quarantine at home, especially where the passenger has mobility or other health issues?

- Please share name, address, e.mail addresses, tel. numbers of any government agencies who are helpful about all of the above?

- Is there good value in calling CM Immigration and asking questions about the above? 

Please share, thanks.

Or,

All of the above but the foreign passenger flew directly into Chiang Mai on a repatriation flight.

Thanks.

Edited by scorecard

Thanks for that.

I wonder if any repatriation flights are flying direct to CM?  

image.png.fae5eec374f576b0e642024b015f0ea4.png

In regard to commercial flights I wonder if it's possible to book a flight from abroad to Bkk with a transfer to domestic Bkk to CM  (e.g. Airasia), present the fit to fly document and the Covid 19 negative report in Bkk, then fly to CM domestic to do the quarantine?

Thanks again for sharing.

image.png

I am going back to the US in mid October.  I would gladly quarantine myself at the Mayflower Grande for 1000 Baht a day for 14 days if this means I can get back in.  There is a mid range hotel in BKK that is offering the bargain rate of 30,000 Baht for a 14 day quarantine.  

From my perspective the realistic way to deal with foreigners is to test them twice.  Recently the Australian Defense Forces had US Marines come to Darwin for military exercises and this what they did:

1.  Test everyone for Covid 19 when they arrived at the airpot. 

2.  Quarantine everyone regardless  of their Covid 19 test result.

3.   At Day 8,9 or 10 test everyone again.

4.  If one gets two negative Covid 19 tests then he or she is allowed to participate in the exercise.  

5.  If one fails to get a negative result after a positive result then back to step 2.  

For Thailand the only way it would work is for the foreigner to pay for everything:  Covid 19 Tests and the cost of the Quarantine. I sense a money making opportunity for the locals but I doubt anyone will have the initiative to start anything like this.  

Good point re the Mayflower Grande. However since I posted earlier today I called an old CM farang buddy who part owns a 4 star hotel in CM, he says that all three hotels on this 'brochure' are no longer involved. 

I asked if he's got a new list of CM hotels, he responded that his staff have tried to register his hotel in this scheme but they had so much difficulty to get full details and to register they gave up. 

Since the above he asked his staff to call the Thai Health Ministry in Bkk and ask for a current list of hotels involved, in CM. Response: right now none but maybe later there might be some CM hotels in the scheme.

Confusion reigns. 

I am talking to my old manager at Viangbua Mansion who told me she has the paperwork in to act as a quarantined facility....she said she would let me know if it happens.

I’ll post it if it ever comes through or you can message me.

Thanks for that.

Seems to me that as things open up there could be a bigger demand to quarantine in CM.

On their normal website their room rate for 2 weeks in November, cheapest room, 1 adult is approx. 830Baht incl breakfast & internet. Three meals a day would obviously put the rate up, maybe say 1,200Baht a day, plus tests maybe total 1,500Baht a day, but that's all guesses of course. 

And very central location, about 4 km from my family home.

Yes I would very much appreciate if you would please share any further details and thanks for sharing. 

44 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me that as things open up there could be a bigger demand to quarantine in CM.

I think it's unlikely that they open Chiang Mai for international passenger flights as long as 14 days quarantine are required.

The Bangkok airports should have enough capacity (and Bangkok enough hotels) to handle all passengers arriving while the quarantine is required.

There are no international flights into CNX since the shutdown except for a couple of flights to Kunming which probably took some Chinese out and brought some Thai citizens back. When foreigners(work permits, married to Thai's) are allowed back in i would imagine it will be land at BKK and straight to one of the designated quarantine hotels locally. No option to fly to CM and do it there instead. At least for the first few months until they see how many infections they are bringing in? 

• Like 1

Read the Thai visa news posting today as to who can enter later in July. Like every govt. in the world, its all very fluid and uncertain at the moment. Foreign tourists won't be allowed in till the earliest, I suspect, until perhaps September/October; and then certain countries will still probably be banned, i.e., the USA and others where the pandemic is out of control.

It appears BKK will the only port of entry for International Air Travelers.  This seems logical because the Government can deploy personnel and resources to screen, examine and interview all arriving passengers.   Also, BKK and the surrounding area has an abundance of hotels that can accommodate the many that will have to quarantine.  

I have seen videos of how China and S. Korea are handling international air arrivals.  Passengers will be met by someone in a hazmat suit and then the fun begins.  It will be a lengthy process.  Especially for those who just landed after a long International flight this will not be a pleasant experience.  I fully expect to hear lot of complaining.  

But this will be the “new normal” for international air travel(especially in the Kingdom).