Do you think they will extend the amnesty if they are not allowing inbound scheduled flights from August onwards?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, spiekerjozef said:

Nope, I think we now all have to pay if we wanna stay longer...

Well I would accept that given we already have to pay to extend visas...my main concern is that there's the possibility that the Thai government just stay silent in the next 4 weeks, and thus many of us have to leave Thailand without a way back in...I'm happy to pay from within Thailand than leave Thailand and have no way back into Thailand.

• Like 2

It's impossible to say what the government will do, but I haven't heard any news about the visa amnesty topic being discussed at this point. I booked a ticket for the end of July back to the US, but I too am hoping for an extension and at the very least hope that the government makes an announcement about the amnesty by the middle of July.

Edited by Benitostacos

I think there is a good chance of an additional 1 month extension, or 2 at the very most. The number of flights out (and destinations served) is very limited. I don't see how all the foreigners still in Thailand can get out on the limited number of flights that are running UNLESS more flights are allowed to come into Thailand, which aren't repatriation flights, during the month of July.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I think there is a good chance of an additional 1 month extension, or 2 at the very most. The number of flights out (and destinations served) is very limited. I don't see how all the foreigners still in Thailand can get out on the limited number of flights that are running UNLESS more flights are allowed to come into Thailand, which aren't repatriation flights, during the month of July.

That's my take on it...there's not even many destinations served.

16 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

"It's possible to go out of Thailand at any moment"

I had a friend who had his flight cancelled 4 times - he finally managed to leave on Saturday - 2 months after he should have originally left

Another who has had his flight cancelled 3 times - he is still waiting to leave

All these you can leave at anytime posts are BS - Airlines are cancelling bookings on a daily basis

Yep, big risk.

90% of them were canceled on the departure board when I was there the other day.

But, the other post did say Ïtś possible¨  Possible vs. definitely or likely or are not the same.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

There is NO inbound flight ban, KLM and Qatar for instance have been flying to Suvanabhumi all the time. KLM only takes cargo on the AMS-BKK leg (as clearly stated on their website), not sure if Qatar arrives empty. You can LEAVE on these airlines (and some others). With an increasing number of airports now allowing transit passengers again, you can fly to almost any country. Most countries allow in their own citizens so the argument will likely be that virtually anyone can leave and get home so no necessity to extend visa amnesty. However, this is all conjecture, next week it may be different.

On the separate issue of people presently abroad with e.g. a retirement extension who cannot return here or dare not leave Thailand for that reason (including me), authorities here do not seem to care. It is telling that -likely rich- medical tourists can apply for permission to enter. 

• Like 2

Don't worry Thailand will come up with a solution. Don't listen to all these naysayer where some of them are not even in Thailand. If they want to make money and keep people here (who ever wants) they will let them. Maybe for money. Of course nobody knows but some of these people here on TV have nothing else to do to scare people like before the amnesty. What is the worst case Scenario? They will give you time to leave the country if flights are going. Yes, Flights are still canceled. Mine too. It's a myth that you can fly easily every day out of course if you have plenty of time and money you can be lucky to fly out. Sitting then in another country if the let you in. ???? Great idea. 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

believe the Thai authorities are of the view that almost everyone can, with a little effort, return to their home countries.

Seeing that I have not seen any official statement saying this and it was reported last week that meetings have already started to take place in regards to decide if to extend the amnesty or not how do you come to this conclusion?

• Like 1

”I realise there are special flights out of Thailand (and into Thailand) right now, but these are repatriation flights and there's only a few of them each day.  ”

Where does this bizarre idea come from? Is it reported in the media? Unless you come from a country that does not have inbound flights, and there is no where to go to as a secondary country, you can leave anytime you want. You just have to put in the effort.Where is it th OP wishes to return to?

• Like 2

No.  There is no reason to extend the amnesty further.  There are plenty of flights to major countries and the embassies of those few that don't them can offer letters stating such.

And for those 50 or older, there is always the "40k special visa" and extension for one year, available through certain "agents".

Edited by Kelsall

31 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

And for those 50 or older, there is always the "40k special visa" and extension for one year, available through certain "agents".

Perhaps they will come up with a similar visa for the under-50 crowd.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TingTawng said:

At the moment it's only foreigners with a work visa who qualify for entry into Thailand, and they are done on a case by case basis - so it looks like I am leaving Thailand on an indefinite basis. 

Maybe I missed it on the 1st page but what is your destination?  You seem to indicate you are stuck here but also indicate you want to leave and return then you mentioned something about a Immigration O?  ????

3 hours ago, Kelsall said:

No.  There is no reason to extend the amnesty further.  There are plenty of flights to major countries and the embassies of those few that don't them can offer letters stating such.

I don't think the Burmese/Cambodian/Malay labourers have a spare 40k to extend their amnesty.

Why do so many people assume everything is done for the benefit of white people?

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kelsall said:

40K???????

• Like 1

Thailand loves to create stress in foreigners. The decision will be made a day or 2 before. This is the same for all government activities. Today they will announce, or not announce bars will be open starting maybe, or maybe not tomorrow. How is anyone supposed to plan????????????? Sorry having a plan is a foreign concept  in Thailand.

Edited by KhunKenAP
  • Like 1

Common sense says it will be extended, but it's really annoying having to wait.

There are spikes and potential second waves popping up everywhere.

And I doubt Thailand wants to be the only country in the world receiving terrible press by kicking out foreigners considering tourism will be important in helping rebuild the country in the next few years.