Do you think they will extend the amnesty if they are not allowing inbound scheduled flights from August onwards?

37 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

The decision will be made a day or 2 before.

They did it a week before the last time. Why would it be any different this time. It think it will be earlier this time.

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic though does highlight a few issues here, that will come to a head with a lot of bleeding like lambs being weaned. The original extension was to give people a chance to leave the country and not overstay. Some people took this opportunity. Those that didn’t have their own reasons be it people that are long term residents on short term visas, with border runs the solution. I do hope these people have a plan B if (when?) the visa amnesty is not renewed.

If it’s not renewed, 1st August is a Sunday, so there will be no assistance that day from any government agency. It could well be a overstay fine, with a leave in 7 day stamp. Europe is opening up, and there has been plenty of time to sort out departure to get home for the normal tourist. 

And for the border runners, if they get blacklisted for a period due to overstay, what are their options then? Maybe contact with their embassy for flight information prior to the end date. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

This topic though does highlight a few issues here, that will come to a head with a lot of bleeding like lambs being weaned. The original extension was to give people a chance to leave the country and not overstay. Some people took this opportunity. Those that didn’t have their own reasons be it people that are long term residents on short term visas, with border runs the solution. I do hope these people have a plan B if (when?) the visa amnesty is not renewed.

If it’s not renewed, 1st August is a Sunday, so there will be no assistance that day from any government agency. It could well be a overstay fine, with a leave in 7 day stamp. Europe is opening up, and there has been plenty of time to sort out departure to get home for the normal tourist. 

And for the border runners, if they get blacklisted for a period due to overstay, what are their options then? Maybe contact with their embassy for flight information prior to the end date. 

Blimey, you're a laugh a minute..................????

38 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

U.S. Embassy tweeted this today...

Ebu8DFyXYAY697i.jpg

Interesting...but I could not find it? The latest tweet today of US embassy in BKK is about satellites and previous one about LGBT in foreign affairs "serving with pride". So where exactly did you find this tweet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Well thanks for pointing it out to everyone that already know.....????

Some people need to think that others are in trouble to breath properly. Now he can have a relaxed day ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 1:46 PM, TingTawng said:

Well I would accept that given we already have to pay to extend visas...my main concern is that there's the possibility that the Thai government just stay silent in the next 4 weeks, and thus many of us have to leave Thailand without a way back in...I'm happy to pay from within Thailand than leave Thailand and have no way back into Thailand.

"Do you think they will extend the amnesty if they are not allowing inbound scheduled flights from August onwards?"

I think you're confusing "not allowing" inbound flights with "allowed outbound flights" which have been allowed all the time. You can leave "almost" anytime you want except for a few destinations if you really need to. The ticket might be a bit more expensive,though. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, drbeach said:

I think there is a good chance of an additional 1 month extension, or 2 at the very most. The number of flights out (and destinations served) is very limited. I don't see how all the foreigners still in Thailand can get out on the limited number of flights that are running UNLESS more flights are allowed to come into Thailand, which aren't repatriation flights, during the month of July.

Every stranded foreigner wasn't forced to stay here when the amnesty kicked in. There's been outbound flights all the time,a bit more expensive,though. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

"It could well be a overstay fine, with a leave in 7 day stamp."

There will not be an overstay fine for anyone just because August 1 is a Sunday. 

And the "7 days to leave the country" just applies to migrant workers from neighboring countries (as far as I know). 

Take a chill pill and relax. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:

That's probably including a switch to NON-O first. If it was only for the extension it would be expensive.

Maybe 40K, if using a "law firm" and doing it at CW.   It's oft-reported as "only" 25K for the Non-O-90/1-year-extension "package" in Jomtien. 

That's retirement-type only, of course - Add 10K to 15K Baht more, if you need an extension based on supporting a Thai family (under 50 or working a legal job here w/ work-permit).

If no family here and under 50, other threads report schools offering ED Visa "no need to leave the country" deals for a mere 19K Baht (no receipt) for immigration.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They did it a week before the last time. Why would it be any different this time. It think it will be earlier this time.

I Hope they announce it BEFORE The 20th of July as that is the day ( I Am Supposed to ) go to Savanakhet to apply for my New Non-Imm " O " That is IF The Borders are Open by Then.....Of Course !!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yep, big risk.

90% of them were canceled on the departure board when I was there the other day.

But, the other post did say Ïtś possible¨  Possible vs. definitely or likely or are not the same.

Exactly , I've had 18 flights canceled from the last week in March to date and from what I read on various forums etc. I'm not alone..and to make matters worse , most Airlines seem to offering only vouchers as refunds  which have a 12 month shelf life . 

Edited by Macthehat
Updated info
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Every stranded foreigner wasn't forced to stay here when the amnesty kicked in. There's been outbound flights all the time,a bit more expensive,though. 

For now, we have Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, and Cyprus - in the $500 usd price-range, which appear to lack insane requirements to enter.  Hopefully, more countries will open up with minimal entry-hassle in July or early August.

2 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

If it’s not renewed, 1st August is a Sunday, so there will be no assistance that day from any government agency. It could well be a overstay fine, with a leave in 7 day stamp.

Generally, there is no fine if applying the next day Immigration is open after your permitted-stay expires.  I assume you would pay 1900 Baht and get 7 days.  But, just to be on the safe-side, I would apply the Friday before.  This could allow for flights to countries which open Aug 1, w/o overstay in Thailand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

For now, we have Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, and Cyprus - in the $500 usd price-range, which appear to lack insane requirements to enter.  Hopefully, more countries will open up with minimal entry-hassle in July or early August.

Generally, there is no fine if applying the next day Immigration is open after your permitted-stay expires.  I assume you would pay 1900 Baht and get 7 days.  But, just to be on the safe-side, I would apply the Friday before.  This could allow for flights to countries which open Aug 1, w/o overstay in Thailand.

Not true, Turkey seems to be imposing some ridiculous requirements including testing.

Most European countries are easy peasy...no quarantines. Though I can't say that's true if you're American or a citizen of a non-Schengen country.

What I do know is that if I flew into Switzerland on my Swiss passport tomorrow, I'd be out of the airport and could go wherever I wanted with no quarantines, no tracking, no covid testing and no need to wear a face mask.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Hope they announce it BEFORE The 20th of July as that is the day ( I Am Supposed to ) go to Savanakhet to apply for my New Non-Imm " O " That is IF The Borders are Open by Then.....Of Course !!

They won't be. No land borders are likely to open before September. A very limited possibility of openings in August exist, but definitely nothing before then...Myanmar already confirmed - borders closed and flight suspensions extended until July 31. Laos - not clearly defined but looks like an indefinite closure. Vietnam - likely closed until September. Malaysia - ditto. Cambodia - land and sea borders closed. Phnom Penh airport - limited flights (from Korea and China) but US$3000 for covid quarantines and testing.

Even when these countries DO re-open, except stringent entry requirements (similar to what Cambodia is currently imposing, although I'm not saying other countries will require a large covid deposit).

Get your in-country extension organized by July 31. Or pray the amnesty is extended.

• Like 2

"Not true, Turkey seems to be imposing some ridiculous requirements including testing. "

What are these ridiculous requierements? I'm not aware of any, though I think it is possible you might be tested on arrival. Source?

For anyone who thinks this might go on and on and on, Turkey does make one-year residency permits available without too much hassle, certainly less overall than Thailand, with more certainty about the requirements.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes now they have more experience than at the beginning of the crisis.

While I think there is a chance the amnesty could be extended for another month or two (max.), since more flights will land in Thailand starting July 1, there will be more opportunities to depart and that could be a reason why immigration may decide not to extend it. That said, with land borders still closed and flights to many countries still not available, it will remain an imposition for many, to be forced to leave by July 31.

Fortunately, I am not in this category.

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

What I do know is that if I flew into Switzerland on my Swiss passport tomorrow, I'd be out of the airport and could go wherever I wanted with no quarantines, no tracking, no covid testing and no need to wear a face mask.

I can also do that if I fly to the US with my US passport.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 3:15 PM, TingTawng said:

That's my take on it...there's not even many destinations served.

You can reasonably easily get to Virtually any country that will admit you. 

Please give examples of countries that will allow you to enter where there is not a way to get there.
Yes you will not have a direct flight.

Yes it will not be cheap.

But you can Almost certainly get there

• Like 2

6 hours ago, drbeach said:

That said, with land borders still closed and flights to many countries still not available,

Please give examples of countries that will let you in where you say you can not fly to. It’s easy to make the claim so it should be easy to back it up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mulambana said:

It depends where you're flying into.

If you land in Hawaii, there will be a mandatory 14-day quarantine - and if you're caught violating it, you'll be arrested and given a choice between immediately leaving the state and facing charges. (This has already happened to quite a few people.)

Many other states with quarantines, though, just have a sign at the airport saying "stay home", and little or no other enforcement.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mulambana said:

Many US states now require face masks to be worn in public though. But you're right about the US never having implemented quarantines for returning citizens edit - except some states with self-quarantine or Hawaii which monitors you (including arrivals from the US mainland).

Edited by drbeach

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Please give examples of countries that will let you in where you say you can not fly to. It’s easy to make the claim so it should be easy to back it up.

I was saying few countries will let you in...you should have read the rest of my comment. Your statement here is confusing, what are you trying to say?

Europe is easy for any EU/Schengen/EEA national from now on. You could be a Belgian citizen flying to Switzerland, or a Spanish citizen flying to France...you'll get in on a one way ticket, with no quarantines required (as usual). There are a couple of exceptions like Denmark (need to read the fine print)...but elsewhere in the world, it's not so easy:

Australia: only for Aussies, PR and accompanying family members + 14 day quarantine on arrival. New Zealand: ditto. Once in Australia you can't leave.

USA: unclear (as usual), though it appears foreigners are being let in as long as they don't arrive from China or Europe.

Africa/most Asian countries: no foreigners except for limited categories like returning highly skilled workers and family members of citizens.

"USA: unclear (as usual), though it appears foreigners are being let in as long as they don't arrive from China or Europe."

The usual ad hominem and plain wrong attack on the U.S. The U.S. rules are clear as could be. A ban applies to those who've spent any of the past 14 days -- including transit -- in Mainland China, Brazil, Schengen, Ireland, UK or Iran. This ban doesn't apply to US citizens, permanent residents, designated close family members, or diplomats etc.

If the rules are "unclear" it's only because you didn't stir yourself to look them up.

Edited by taxout

15 minutes ago, taxout said:

The U.S. rules are clear as could be.

Note that the situation is fluid and that some states do have quarantine requirements, although those apply to coming from other states.

For example, New York is quarantining travelers from 19 other states, New Jersey 16. No clue if there are any limits on international arrivals, either directly, or for those making domestic connections. I'd check on that early and often. Also no clue if how this is being enforced, if it is. 

Every state seems to have its own unique requirements, which can change daily.

• Like 1