Indian techie arrested for credit card fraud in Chiang Mai

webfact

Indian techie arrested for credit card fraud in Chiang Mai

By THE NATION

800_e3ab09476955fb2.jpg?v=1593412314

An Indian national was arrested for fraud on Monday after being caught in Chiang Mai with several credit cards and a modified EDC [Electronic Data Capture] machine used to imprint data on counterfeit cards, police said.

Officers from the Technology Crime Suppression Division nabbed Muhamad Budeen (last name withheld), aged 36, after raiding his room at a hotel in San Phi Suea, Meuang district.

They said the suspect confessed to being a member of credit card-skimming gang in India who operated in Thailand, collecting 40-50 per cent of the profit from the scam.

Police said he admitted to using fake credit cards a total of 59 times to purchase items at several stores in Chiang Mai on June 26-27.

A police check showed that the suspect entered Thailand six months ago and that he possessed a degree in computer engineering. Police have launched an investigation into the gang to identify whether any other members are operating in Thailand.

“People must be extra careful before using their cards in ATMs or EDC machines,” warned police. “Check the card slots thoroughly for any signs they have been tampered with, and use your hand to cover the keypad when entering your PIN, as these gangs may have installed a micro-camera to steal your PIN.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390473

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-29

• Sad 1

In my opinion life in jail for this maggot parasite. Between forging credentials enabling them to pilot passenger airlines and flooding the world with overpriced restaurants the world would be a better place if they all stayed at home, where they could cheerfully pull scams on each other.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I thought all ATM machines had either a camera installed as a security device or CCTV covering the machine.. how do these people tamper with them and not be seen.

Vaseline swipe on the cam?  Kinda like the spray paint on cams in movies...come in from the side???

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I thought all ATM machines had either a camera installed as a security device or CCTV covering the machine.. how do these people tamper with them and not be seen.

Vids taken by camera aren't being monitored in real-time.  They only view footage after a crime is detected.  By then, they'll only have records of a guy obscured by a hoodie tampering with their machine.

• Like 2

I just can't believe that people don't monitor their credit card activity on-line to see if someone has gained access to their account.  This is just like the recent case of the Chiang Mai business owner who had nearly four million baht taken from her SCB account over several months by an employee.  If people just checked their bank accounts and credit card activity daily or had their banks/credit cards send them an SMS when there is activity all these problems could be nipped in the bud.

One big benefit of maintaining a credit card from a U.S. financial institution is that the cardholder isn't liable for fraudulent activity, unlike cards issued by Thai banks.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

In my opinion life in jail for this maggot parasite. Between forging credentials enabling them to pilot passenger airlines and flooding the world with overpriced restaurants the world would be a better place if they all stayed at home, where they could cheerfully pull scams on each other.

Mister and you come from which country ... every country in this world have people like them and i am sure yours tooo .  Sooo pls keep youropinium to your ppl only

23 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Def be easier with a wing man, the covid mask may help a well with a hoodie

Why worry about hoodies or wing man, just cover the camera with your hand, or have a piece of paper big enough to cover the camera with sticky tape on it. Quickly stick the paper over the camera now robber has 2 hands to carry out his technique and no video evidence at all. All very easy, bottom line is that banks should have changed their whole technology and security systems so that these issues just don't exist. 

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

Or, just put a hand or anything over the camera while doing the transaction. 

One ATM not far from me is under a set of internal stairs and customers have to bend over to get to it.

There's a CCTV camera installed right where customers bend to get to the machine. CCTV camera is mounted so that customers have to do body twists to get past it and they brush against the camera which now shakes because it's become loose. Very easy to cover this CCTV camera and to block the camera inside the ATM.

In other words no security. 

Edited by scorecard

10 hours ago, ProudHuman said:

Mister and you come from which country ... every country in this world have people like them and i am sure yours tooo .  Sooo pls keep youropinium to your ppl only

He's talking about the scamming team, not people in general. It is also an Dharmic Indian trait that males are elevated by their peers if they become prosperous by whatever means, including fraudulent methods. In today's Indian society, as has been the case for centuries, caste status is still the dominant achievement driver. 

However, it is my understanding that Muhamad, if he professes to be a practising Muslim, has committed a sin against Allah, which in stricter Islamic societies (e.g. Taliban) would mean loss of a hand.  

1 hour ago, hmficc said:

Old Thai saying:

:

if you come across an Indian and a snake, kill the Indian first.

Er Yes, I first heard that on my original trip to Thailand, 41 years ago. 

There are numerous Youtube videos on how folk can interfere with ATMs.

john 

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 9:27 PM, scorecard said:

Why worry about hoodies or wing man, just cover the camera with your hand, or have a piece of paper big enough to cover the camera with sticky tape on it. Quickly stick the paper over the camera now robber has 2 hands to carry out his technique and no video evidence at all. All very easy, bottom line is that banks should have changed their whole technology and security systems so that these issues just don't exist. 

I think the thai police are putting our usernames into the database for when we try to re-enter LOS

The burmese breathe easy as they have their criminals and evidence!  Ge ready for the pointing!!