What would you miss about Thailand?

Lacessit

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, good for you.

I lived in Florida for 6 months thought it was the worst place in the US.

High crime, hurricanes, hot and humid much worse then Thailand, very over populated, flat and touristy, bugs everyplace, fake people plastic surgery everywhere.

And the cost of living is approx. 50% higher. 

Hey, and don´t forget the great job they have done on Covid over 8,000 cases just yesterday in Florida.

But, good for you if you like it and it fits your life enjoy.

the backwards state that gave us Bush, no thank you.  red neck country

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I first moved to Thailand in 2002, spent quite a few years working in Myanmar, finally left Thailand last year to live in Luang Prabang.  There's very little that I miss in Thailand.  That's not a negative comment - the things that I like I have here in Laos, but even more so than Thailand.  I enjoy the quiet, rural life, and of course Thailand can't be described as quiet!  Here, I can be up in the hills on my enduro motorbike in a few minutes.  I'm 100 metres from the Mekong river and a short walk across a little bamboo bridge into town where there are many Lao and western food restaurants.  I'm not keen on processed foods, so I don't miss the supermarkets and convenience store foods in Thailand.

I've tried to think of something that I miss in Thailand, but there's nothing major....

HOUSE-LP1.jpg.aefc785ced5043b98b95fd87e61a08f5.jpg

What is the standard of medical care there?

12 hours ago, rumak said:

Actually,  if one has a great deal of money there are many places that might be enjoyable.

Personally i don't like american people ......... and your one statement above would definitely

over rule any positives in my case.

So, its Thailand or bust for me.   Though old age is causing me to be less forgiving of the annoyances

we encounter here.    But i am sure the annoyances would exist anywhere, just maybe different ones.

I would miss ........... the generally reserved and pleasant attitudes of the real thai people.   Not the

city or tourist area ones.  

Is that with or without 100% fluency in Thai?

11 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Do you really own it outright or are you partners w/the taxman? 

We pay no property taxes... how about you? 

You trying to make excuses because you cannot own land in Thailand?

14 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

When I left Thailand I was so relieved I didn't miss a thing.

I think one thing people have to understand, using Florida USA where I live now, is there is everything Thai available here as there is in Thailand. The weather in Florida is much better as well. So if you are married and have a family, what is there really to miss if you are giving your family a better life?

Not that it concerns me in the slightest but for my wife, not much of a change.

Thai people, Thai restaurants, Thai Groceries, Thai Temples. No need to miss all that because it is here. I eat Thai food maybe once a month here, maybe less. 

I don't think you can ever replace a Thai massage outside of Thailand though!

Eye Candy in Thailand? Come on.  I can tell you one day on a Florida beach, you will see the most beautiful and FIT women you have ever seen. No comparison really. Zero chance so forget it!

The air pollution, the droughts, then the floods, electric going off with no warning, water going off with no warning, traffic. No do not miss any of that. 

The biggest thing though is almost non-existent stress since I returned.

Comfort level is 100% higher in a modern house, easy to get around, any kind of food and beverage you want, tons of car choices, boats, motorcycles, you name it. Sports programming, concerts and events, the beach, being able to build things in a full shop in my garage, speaking English, medical care, etc. Just a whole lot easier.

I enjoyed my Thai experience, however, I realized after I got married, there is just so much more to offer here than in Thailand.

Now that being said, I am back working in corporate America and I can afford all those things. It would be a totally different story if I couldn't.

is your wife Thai?

12 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

When you don't burn bridges, you have a plan that best suits YOU and YOU only.

In other words, USERS don't burn bridges? Tough luck ol' chap if it gets burnt from the other end!!

Some bridges are meant, and best to be burnt, so that it does leave only YOU; it also puts an end to any silly notions of regret and if only.

Burnt bridges are not for everyone though, especially co dependent people; they'd never cope being truly alone!!

What would I miss? I'd miss my clothes, there all here.

But I suppose if I expand it I'd probably miss the wife (she won't leave Thailand), the dog, the house, the car and dare I say it, I'd miss the job as well.

Been living full time in Thailand for the last 23 years, married 21 years of that and been 'home' twice in that period. Truth be known, I'd miss everything about this land of haphazard mysteries...................:thumbsup:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You use to own the views in Cornwall, in Thailand you are just renting the views!

It is a nice view, however.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my impression is that because of England's small geographical size and relatively large population, nature lovers, bird watchers, hikers, etc. are entitled to wander all over your private property if you own land?

12 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Do you really own it outright or are you partners w/the taxman? 

We pay no property taxes... how about you? 

It's true that there are property taxes, which amount to paying a sort of rent, but how much you pay depends where you are. Believe it or not, property taxes are low in place like rural Pennsylvania and New York--attractively so. And they're so high in Texas that it's not even worth buying a house unless you're rich or willing to stick in one place your whole life. There are algorithms, if you will, that define parameters where it's financially better to rent than to buy. But how can you "buy" in Thailand?? It goes in your Thai spouse's name, and we all know the horror stories.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What is the standard of medical care there?

Terrible .....

That's the only disadvantage for me.  I'm in very good health, but should a long-term illness occur, I'd probably have to live in BKK to be near decent hospitals (I have a very good expat insurance package).  Additionally, medical emergencies in Laos for foreigners often requires Medivac to Thailand.  Medivac flights have been blocked due to Wuhan flu.....  So even with a $1 million cover policy, you can still die on the hospital trolley in the local Lao clinic ????

Time for my exercise jog.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but my impression is that because of England's small geographical size and relatively large population, nature lovers, bird watchers, hikers, etc. are entitled to wander all over your private property if you own land?

Not true, unless there is a historical right of way across your land, (only likely if you own a farm etc).

I used to live a few miles from Chequers, the country home of UK prime-ministers.  There's a walking right of way right across their land.  Plenty of police watching you though, just in case ????

• Thanks 1

Probably what I would miss the most is cheaper utility bills, cheaper internet and mobile, being able to buy a nice plate of food and a drink for around $1.50, getting an one hour foot massage for $8.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sidjameson said:

So, you enjoy being told what to do for the main part of the week at work in America rather than deciding what to do in Thailand then.

Choosing wage slave never appealed to me.

Investing surplus cash toward retirement always appealed to me.

26 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Is that with or without 100% fluency in Thai?

I went through all the phases,  from Newbie on up .   Remember, 30 years ago life was a lot simpler,

we were a lot younger,  and there were far far less Farangs roaming around.

I must say that , as in anything,  it took many years to slowly get better at the language.  If one keeps

at it the improvement will come.  But many guys get an English speaking gf/wife and then the man

never improves very much.   I gradually gravitated to non english speaking girls , without attitudes ,

and my experiences started to get better...... as did my Thai.

No one needs 100 % ......... but 60-70 % sure makes life more fun (and normal)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, malibukid said:

the backwards state that gave us Bush, no thank you.  red neck country

Not Miami, especially Miami Beach. "Miami Vice" made it all cool again in the 1980s, and it is pretty with the palms and art deco.