What would you miss about Thailand?

Lacessit

On 6/29/2020 at 5:41 PM, bwpage3 said:

When I left Thailand I was so relieved I didn't miss a thing.

I think one thing people have to understand, using Florida USA where I live now, is there is everything Thai available here as there is in Thailand. The weather in Florida is much better as well. So if you are married and have a family, what is there really to miss if you are giving your family a better life?

Not that it concerns me in the slightest but for my wife, not much of a change.

Thai people, Thai restaurants, Thai Groceries, Thai Temples. No need to miss all that because it is here. I eat Thai food maybe once a month here, maybe less. 

I don't think you can ever replace a Thai massage outside of Thailand though!

Eye Candy in Thailand? Come on.  I can tell you one day on a Florida beach, you will see the most beautiful and FIT women you have ever seen. No comparison really. Zero chance so forget it!

The air pollution, the droughts, then the floods, electric going off with no warning, water going off with no warning, traffic. No do not miss any of that. 

The biggest thing though is almost non-existent stress since I returned.

Comfort level is 100% higher in a modern house, easy to get around, any kind of food and beverage you want, tons of car choices, boats, motorcycles, you name it. Sports programming, concerts and events, the beach, being able to build things in a full shop in my garage, speaking English, medical care, etc. Just a whole lot easier.

I enjoyed my Thai experience, however, I realized after I got married, there is just so much more to offer here than in Thailand.

Now that being said, I am back working in corporate America and I can afford all those things. It would be a totally different story if I couldn't.

So basically you are just bragging.

If I had a million pounds to spare then it is reasonable to suppose I would not retire to Thailand. There are better places given money is no object, but how many of us are in that position.

Not that many.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rumak said:

you obviously do not know me well enough to know what i obviously do or don't do.   but obviously

your style of posting is more on the confrontational side.  

yes, i do 90 day reports .   I do not pay exorbitant rents or if an owner large property taxes.  I am talked

to very nicely when if ever I am stopped for a car check.  I am not forced to be politically correct every

moment of the day,  or heaven forbid am accused of looking at someone the wrong way.

That is just a small part of the list.   You are probably an american so that should be enough to get you

started on your debate rebuttal.    have a nice day.... ( american talk)

Do you even understand how property tax works?

What is the reason you are being stopped for a car check in the first place? Did you break the law? If you didn't then you probably shouldn't be stopped in the first place. Isn't this how the law works? 

Do you even speak Thai? You cannot be politically incorrect if you cannot understand what people are saying.

You do 90 day reports because it is NOT your country and the gov't wants to keep an eye on you.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I was under the impression Florida property prices were broadly the same now as in 1990.

But agree the USA is the cheapest country in the western world.

If I were American, I'd probably never have left.

And had a life without sex (with women).

But maybe not Florida,

I'm more a redneck survivalist bunker in the woods kinda guy.

No prices are not even remotely the same.

Think of how much building materials and labor have gone up the past 30 years.

Florida is one place people in the trades like roofers, plumbers and electricians can earn more than college graduates by a lot.

Most people associate Florida with the beaches because of the huge area of coastline.

However, be advised, once inland and not in one of the 10 or so major cities, there is a huge majority of Florida that is 100% Redneck and in the woods.

Do you like swamps, alligator boats, guns and monster trucks?

26 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I will end up working 10+ years past the age I thought I would retire to make up for being in Thailand all those years.

I retired 15 years earlier than I thought.

Can't be bothered with old age, if I make 70 (unlikely) it'll be time for a balcony jump.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not in my name, not that I have any money beyond monthly pension income.

I do own a bicycle and a 65" TV ....... that's about it ..... not bothered what happen to them after I'm dead.

A bit curious,

Why would anyone care if they have outstanding debt after death?

It depends on whether the debt devolves onto someone you may be emotionally connected with.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't care about anyone really, not even me.

I care. Thats why i have never owned a house or land, no debt, never married, no kids, no family.

So if i curl my toes up its no big deal. But if i had any family then i do not want to load them with any debts i may have.

4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You put yourself in your own position with your own choices.

Telling the truth is not bragging.

I put myself in Thailand for 10+ years. I stayed a lot longer than I ever imaged I would. 

I got myself out of Thailand after looking ahead and realizing I wouldn't have much of a financial future had I continued to stay.

I will end up working 10+ years past the age I thought I would retire to make up for being in Thailand all those years.

There is no magic, that's the way life works.

We are all accountable for our own decisions and actions.

Nothing is free.

Some dont have to work an extra 10 years to enjoy the life they want.

i agree, you are accountable for the mistake you made of living somewhere you didnt want to. I have no idea why anyone would do that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

Some dont have to work an extra 10 years to enjoy the life they want.

i agree, you are accountable for the mistake you made of living somewhere you didnt want to. I have no idea why anyone would do that.

You misunderstand.

I wanted to live in Thailand. However, the financial impact of living in Thailand was a heck of lot less than working in corporate America.

No one said I had to work an extra 10 years, it is my choice to work longer.

People that are enjoying life in Thailand being a teacher or living on 30K baht a month is not my idea of enjoying life.

If you want to really enjoy life and not just survive, you need money. Plain and simple.

More money gives you more choices.

It's all about making the big bank.

When I finally do retire, I won't have to worry about moving to Thailand and dying in a one room rented flat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rumak said:

Thank you for returning to America.    

When people get caught, this is the kind or response they turn to.

You cannot answer simple questions like why exactly are the cops stopping you in the first place?

On 6/29/2020 at 8:06 AM, BritManToo said:

That's only because you had take-out.

So did I, but it's gotten cold.  No delivery back then, had to haul her home myself. But she weighed less way back.  Not a biggie at the time. 555

I loved Thailand during the 3 years I lived there over 40 years ago.  I've been back a few times and I don't know if I could make a go of it now.  If it weren't for visa/reporting and travel hassles, I'd love to spend a couple-three months a year there.

Back then, I was mostly in Loei.  Pretty quiet (read: Boring), not crowded, laid-back people. I miss the in-laws and former childhood friends of my wife.  It's so nice after many years absence to have people flag you down in the market and have a warm chat.  I enjoyed visiting small villages in the boondocks and riding my motorcycle around.  It was rather exotic and charming. 

I guess I could say the thrill is gone.  TAT should listen to this song when they think about boosting tourism.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't care about anyone really, not even me.

Of all the things I have read on this forum, that one takes the cake. Don't care about your family and dumping your debt onto them?

wow, what a stand up guy!????????????

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 9:06 AM, rumak said:

Actually,  if one has a great deal of money there are many places that might be enjoyable.

Personally i don't like american people ......... and your one statement above would definitely

over rule any positives in my case.

So, its Thailand or bust for me.   Though old age is causing me to be less forgiving of the annoyances

we encounter here.    But i am sure the annoyances would exist anywhere, just maybe different ones.

I would miss ........... the generally reserved and pleasant attitudes of the real thai people.   Not the

city or tourist area ones.  

How many American people do you know well and why don't you like them?  Yeah, we have a lot of inconsiderate a-holes, but a lot of good people, too.  And a lot of illegal immigrants - millions? We're not so stodgy, more a bit crazy. 

On 6/29/2020 at 8:41 AM, NCC1701A said:

Do I need to answer this question?

Actually it is amazing how many answers here are the same as mine. :clap2:

I do miss those little strips of dried, salty and sour green mango and the hot tamarind candies.  And the girl who was selling them at a kiosk in the lobby of the Indra Hotel 42 years ago.

4 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Because I don’t fit with your ethics you consider me unpleasant and judgemental. I don’t have a problem with that.

I like looking at beautiful women. AFAIK that does no harm to them. What is your problem with that?

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I like looking at beautiful women. AFAIK that does no harm to them. What is your problem with that?

No problem with that whatsoever, but this.....

“Looking at the beautiful legs and butts I see in the shopping malls.”

Yes I’m uncomfortable with that, you might not be but I am.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I thought it's illegal already. Metoo and all that jazz. One of the reasons I originally decided to move to Pattaya was the utter non-existence of toxic feminism, bargirls were the antidote to keep them away. Now, it's creeping in together with all the other millenial cry pieces. "Family resort" ... ugh. Sin City is dead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

No problem with that whatsoever, but this.....

“Looking at the beautiful legs and butts I see in the shopping malls.”

Yes I’m uncomfortable with that, you might not be but I am.

That's weird. Do you avert your eyes when one walks past you? If you're a boob man, I understand.

• Haha 1

Just now, Fairynuff said:

One hand on the keyboard and one down your pants while you type?.... now that IS weird

That's a bit below the belt, no? I think I get it, you have the vestiges of prudery inculcated in you by your upbringing. I can say I was the same, until Thai ladies removed my inhibitions. Bless them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That's a bit below the belt, no? I think I get it, you have the vestiges of prudery inculcated in you by your upbringing. I can say I was the same, until Thai ladies removed my inhibitions. Bless them.

I need to stop interacting with you, I hate feeling nauseous. My final words to you however, as a judge of character you’re utterly useless????

2 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I need to stop interacting with you, I hate feeling nauseous. My final words to you however, as a judge of character you’re utterly useless????

I think I've read your character quite accurately. If you want to take cheap shots from a high moral horse, Thailand is not the place to do it. I'd suggest an Amish community would be a suitable abode for you.

• Like 1