COVID lockdown fails to curtail Phuket road deaths

snoop1130

COVID lockdown fails to curtail Phuket road deaths

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1593423262_1-org.jpg

One of the new overhead speed-camera road signs installed on Thepkrasattri Rd. Photo: PR Phuket

PHUKET:-- Tens of thousands of people left out of work leaving Phuket to go home, no tourists, a nightly curfew for nearly three months, an alcohol ban and the deadly Songkran holidays being “postponed” has not stopped 34 people from dying on Phuket’s roads since the start of  the year.

Dr Wiwat Seetamanotch, Vice President of the Phuket office of the Road Safety Policy Foundation, told The Phuket News today (June 29) that the combination of factors this year due to the COVID-19 outbreak had greatly reduced the number of drivers on Phuket’s roads.

However, the number of deaths and injuries had not even been halved compared with the Phuket road-accident death rate for last year.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/covid-lockdown-fails-to-curtail-phuket-road-deaths-76542.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-06-29

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Similar displays in the UK only light up to show you if you are exceeding the prescribed limit.

I beg to differ. The UK ones, and I would assume the Thai ones, calculate your speed as you approach. But of, course, what's the use if they show your speed after you pass the detector.

Edited by stouricks
  • Thanks 2

Exactly. You asked why the display on the left was showing nothing - there is no car approaching it as the white truck has already passed through. Whereas, the black car in the right hand lane is just about to pass through so it's speed is displayed as 78 kmh, which is faster than the prescribed 60 kmh on the sign.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Better look at the photo again, limit is indicated as being 80 10 meters after the 60 sign. Increase in maximum speed just before a U-turn?

They even admitted incorrect signs some time ago, Thai road design and signs are not clear, even worse, a contributing factor to accidents.

Yup 80 is correct. 

Displays always incorrect. Driving 100 ist shows 120.

It's only for show and budget sucking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are not cameras, just a display which shows your speed as you approach it - although as others have said the number shown is nonsense. I have driven through them many times with GPS speed showing on my phone and it’s not even close, usually 20kph different. I imagine most people like a challenge to see how high a speed they can get to show off to their mates !

What’s any of the above got to do with the story?

34 lives lost, who’s responsible?

Police manually operating an automated traffic light system; for some unspecified reason. While too occupied to enforce basic traffic laws.

TIT

1 hour ago, hansgruber said:

With the light traffic I notice all the Thai Nigel Mansells and Valentino Rossis are making the streets the track of their own. 

Signs and rules mean nothing if you don't educate the people they are intended for. 

With less traffic on the roads, all the more reason to push it and go faster......So the logic goes.  I hear some serious rpm's and fast speeds on the speedway.

On 6/30/2020 at 3:12 AM, Phuketshrew said:

so it's speed is displayed as 78 kmh, which is faster than the prescribed 60 kmh on the sign.

Really? Maybe the driver was getting ready for the 80 sign in ten metres.

Green = go

Amber = go faster

Can’t wait one minute at a traffic light yet will sit happily for hours to save B5.00

Won’t say boo to a goose queuing in a shop while the cashier fumbles and fannies about doing everything apart from observing the growing line of customers. 

Some people call it culture, call it what it is - stupid.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 8:30 AM, hansgruber said:

With the light traffic I notice all the Thai Nigel Mansells and Valentino Rossis are making the streets the track of their own. 

Signs and rules mean nothing if you don't educate the people they are intended for. 

The best means of education is a hefty fine. Time after time...