The logic of masking

Trujillo

56 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't get the obsession with eating at expensive restaurants- learn to cook and save money. Probably more healthy as well.

Many of us love Thai food, and can't prepare it nearly as well as an experience Thai chef.  Also, if you avoid the places catering to foreigners the food is quite cheap.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All restaurants in western countries are more expensive than cooking oneself. One doesn't pay oneself wages and rent for the kitchen.

We've been told for a year that lockdowns have destroyed economies, ergo we should be thinking of saving money, not spending it.

Not spending has destroyed economies.  Many people saved money during lockdowns, they can help the economy by spending some of it.

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

Many of us love Thai food, and can't prepare it nearly as well as an experience Thai chef.  Also, if you avoid the places catering to foreigners the food is quite cheap.

Anyone can learn to cook, if they want to. Thai cooks are not a different species from us.

Just now, heybruce said:

Not spending has destroyed economies.  Many people saved money during lockdowns, they can help the economy by spending some of it.

It's not my responsibility to save the economy. I pay taxes to the government to do that.

and? You never said I was confined to large islands vs smaller islands, in my response.

I posted "You'll find similar numbers in other developed nations where Covid established a foothold and that have reasonably credible statistics."  Australia and New Zealand, because they are island nations and reacted quickly and effectively, kept Covid from establishing a foothold.

Anyone can learn to cook, if they want to. Thai cooks are not a different species from us.

Really?  Have you ever tried to cook Tom Yam Gung?  Have you compared the cost of buying all the ingredients for a single serving to the cost of buying it at a local food stall?

Just now, heybruce said:

I posted "You'll find similar numbers in other developed nations where Covid established a foothold and that have reasonably credible statistics."  Australia and New Zealand, because they are island nations and reacted quickly and effectively, kept Covid from establishing a foothold.

LOL. Australia has had lots of cases. They just stopped flights to NZ because of a new outbreak.

The Seychelles are an island nation and seem to be having problems. The UK is an island nation and they have it large.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not my responsibility to save the economy. I pay taxes to the government to do that.

You turned the discussion to the economy.  Many economies need more spending, not less.  The only way the government can make up for a lack of spending is by taxing and borrowing more to spend money itself. I think it is better if consumers who can afford to did some of the spending; better for the economy and the consumers.

• Confused 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:25 AM, covidiot said:

There are already some murmurings (not thailand) of reopening restaurants only for vaccinated people. 

People should probably stop having discussions about the safety of the vaccine because in a few months the topic will shift to the inconveniences caused by not having one. 

People who are afraid of the vaccine ... are you more afraid of never being able to travel again? 

1. That will never happen, not that I'm all that bothered about eating out.

2. Already had COVID, if there were a legit vaccine ever produced (as opposed to emergency experimental gene therapy), I wouldn't need it, and I doubt easy and cheap international travel will be available again in my lifetime no matter what I do. 

Obviously masking isn't any risk to me, so I'm OK doing it when I go into a shop.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Australia has had lots of cases. They just stopped flights to NZ because of a new outbreak.

The Seychelles are an island nation and seem to be having problems. The UK is an island nation and they have it large.

Australia has had less than 30,000 cases and less than 1000 deaths.  They successfully prevented Covid from widespread transmission, and continue to do so.  The Seychelles has done the same.  You continue to make apples to oranges comparisons that no intelligent person will fall for.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't get the obsession with eating at expensive restaurants- learn to cook and save money. Probably more healthy as well.

sometimes restaurants are a status thing. people want to be seen in trendy restaurants to show they're hanging out with the cool kids. 

i love bbq street stalls. grab some chicken wings on a stick to go. unpretentious!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

If it's that bad, I would think spending your (soon to be worthless) money on large sacks of rice and sealing them in plastic buckets in your secret hidden underground bunker  would be the way to go..

Maybe he's got longer to live than you..................with respect of course