The logic of masking

Trujillo

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

I do not believe it is. Am just getting tired, after one year, of 99% of the stuff we hear being of the "Cower under your bed" type of reporting.

This many did that, this many need to ... when it is not verifiable - therefore not true.

Do I believe everything I read - no. Do media sources outside the establishment get it right - absolutely.

In General - the established media acts like the owners and editors want it to - after all they OWN it. Fair, Unbiased reporting is not their aim - making money is their aim.

So Blood sells, Panic sells, Hysteria sells, and most of all - the Party line sells.

Fox News as you have said above are the WORST of a Bad Bunch, and I see over the years that the rest are following suit. Why - $$$

Corporatocracy rules

"So Blood sells, Panic sells, Hysteria sells, and most of all - the Party line sells."

None of the print media that I rely on use this approach.  What print media do you read?  Or do you rely on television and internet videos?  If it is the latter, you are doing yourself a disservice.

BTW:  I don't know anyone who cowered under their bed.  I know people who wore masks when in public and avoided areas where the risk of infection was high (if their work allowed them to) and I know science denying idiots who think the minor, life-saving inconvenience of wearing a mask is too much trouble.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It boils down to this, for me anyway. I don’t know how worried I should be, because I simply do not have enough information. And I’m not sure I trust my leaders any more.

COVID scares me, but more and more, I am hearing people say that enough is enough, we’ll wear a mask and get vaccinated and wash our hands and be careful for as long as necessary, but we need to get on with our lives.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/shelley-fralic-sending-out-an-sos-we-need-answers

• Like 2

It boils down to this, for me anyway. I don’t know how worried I should be, because I simply do not have enough information. And I’m not sure I trust my leaders any more.

COVID scares me, but more and more, I am hearing people say that enough is enough, we’ll wear a mask and get vaccinated and wash our hands and be careful for as long as necessary, but we need to get on with our lives.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/shelley-fralic-sending-out-an-sos-we-need-answers

Get vaccinated and get on with our lives; sounds good to me.  Until then, take simple precautions to prevent the spread.

• Like 2

Yeah - all those quick to market vaccines are BOUND to be safe

No studies - just hysteria

No studies?

Tens of thousands of people were in Phase III testing of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/01/peer-reviewed-data-show-high-protection-leading-covid-vaccines   (similar numbers in the approval of other western vaccines).

Millions of people vaccinated, infection and death rates falling in countries that have vaccinated a significant portion of their populations...yeah, I'd say the vaccines are BOUND to be safer than ignoring the virus and hoping everything will be ok. 

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Guess you did not read the link I posted, from Lytton, BC - from a health care professional on the front line - where they had zero Covid cases, but serious cases from the Moderna vaccine

Seems the links you are interested in - to the dismissal of all others - are the ones agreeing with your position.

Anyway - I am done with this. Horse to water - not drink - type of thing.

Did you read the link you posted?  The one from British Columbia that said:

"Literally, who. Of the 1,500-plus or so B.C. deaths (a truly sad statistic) attributed to COVID since March 2020"

I saw a plea for better information and better organization of the vaccination program.  I didn't see anything in there about serious cases from the Moderna vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, heybruce said:

No studies?

Tens of thousands of people were in Phase III testing of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/01/peer-reviewed-data-show-high-protection-leading-covid-vaccines   (similar numbers in the approval of other western vaccines).

Millions of people vaccinated, infection and death rates falling in countries that have vaccinated a significant portion of their populations...yeah, I'd say the vaccines are BOUND to be safer than ignoring the virus and hoping everything will be ok. 

Only safer for those that didn't have an adverse effect like blood clots.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only safer for those that didn't have an adverse effect like blood clots.

The number of recipients of the J&J or Astrazenica vaccines who died of blood clots is about one in a million. 

Death rates for Covid 19 in the US is about 1.8% mortality for those infected.  If you divide the total number of US deaths by the total US population you get an almost two per thousand death rate.  You'll get similar numbers in other countries that have kept reasonably accurate statistics and weren't able to keep the virus under control.

So, even if the vaccines implicated with causing blood clots were the only ones available, you would still be at least a thousand times more likely to die of Covid 19 if you don't get vaccinated than of dying of blood clots if you get vaccinated.

I'm a numbers person.  I like the vaccination odds much better.

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 4:43 AM, canthai55 said:

Guess you did not read the link I posted, from Lytton, BC - from a health care professional on the front line - where they had zero Covid cases, but serious cases from the Moderna vaccine

Seems the links you are interested in - to the dismissal of all others - are the ones agreeing with your position.

Anyway - I am done with this. Horse to water - not drink - type of thing.

I did find something about Lytton BC:  https://westernstandardonline.com/2021/04/bc-health-authorities-dismiss-lytton-docs-vaccination-claims/  

and

https://www.ashcroftcachecreekjournal.com/news/ih-says-covid-19-vaccines-safe-despite-claims-of-lytton-physician/

One 72 year old with COPD died 24 days after receiving the Moderna vaccine.  A doctor claimed, without proof, that the vaccine caused the death.  Based on the word of one doctor in one small town you will avoid vaccinating. 

Apparently this is the only scare story you could find about Covid vaccinations, but I concede there were a lot of silly websites making a big deal about this one doctor blaming the death of one patient on the Moderna vaccine.

This from the poster who described reporting on a pandemic that has killed millions as "Cower under your bed" reporting.  Funny.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 4/27/2021 at 12:18 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think the more you live in a democracy with open and free press - the more likely you are to give the government a chance to prove the strategy is correct.

You think the press is open and free?

I think you must be more trusting than I. I once had an article written about me in a national newspaper by a "journalist" which was so bad and mistake laden that I didn't even recognise that it was about me. The only way I knew it was about me was that I was named.

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

There is a difference between people deluding themselves about the health affects of smoking and scientists saying smoking is harmless, as you posted.

I was unaware that some studies came to the erroneous conclusion that sugar could not be converted to fat, but that error has since been corrected.

Your second reference states guidelines for carbohydrate consumption that are still valid today.  It does not endorse a diet high in sugar.

You neglected to defend your flat earth claim, and incorrectly confused it with my post about the spherical earth.

Still no example of a conspiracy theory being proven true?

Jai yen, jai yen, it's a discussion forum, not a scientific thesis.

Conspiracy theory that could be true? Here's one- someone is trying to bait me by making silly demands for something that's a deflection.

In case you hadn't noticed, the topic is masking, not conspiracy theories.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:34 AM, heybruce said:

youtu.be is a mystery link.  Maybe it was a typo on your part, or maybe it's a link to malware. 

I have the best antivirus + insurance against the worst malwares such as "youtu.be". Usually it's 9999$ but only today, for you my friend it's 5987$(the whole package!). Contact me in pm. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/27/2021 at 8:34 AM, heybruce said:

youtu.be is a mystery link.  Maybe it was a typo on your part, or maybe it's a link to malware. 

Even if it is a link to youtube I won't click on the link.  I don't get news and information from youtube.  Nobody who is serious about being informed does that.

I won't waste time reading and fact-checking your fringe "information" sites.  If there is anything pertinent to this topic you can post a quote here.

youtu.be is no real mystery at all....       Difference Between Youtube.com and Youtu.be | Difference Between

"It boils down to this, for me anyway. It makes no difference what you choose to believe or what source you get your information, the fact is its now mandatory to wear a mask, and you either follow the directive and wear a mask or pay the fine.Simple as that."

I agree that the government has everyone by the short hairs, and we are all to oblige, but hopefully, this nation is still free enough for residents to question the merit of various maneuvers it makes while dutifully kowtowing to the covid tsar's edicts. While reluctantly following the new regulation, it is fair --  and I would hope incumbent on everyone -- to genuinely reflect on why it is required to wear a "protective device" when you are alone with no one else in sight, or when you are required to contravene the guidance of the WHO regarding masks and "vigorous activity," vis a vis exercising. 

With exercising, I feel like I'm being required to take up smoking cigarettes, "just for a while until we're out of the woods, here. Don't worry about what some medical organization says, we know better."

Since they closed the fitness centers and gyms, my cardio of choice is bicycling, vigorous bicycling, during which I am supposed to wear a mask, even though the World HEALTH Organization says not to? (I'm hearing Homer Simpson in my head saying, "Silly WHO...") 

Wearing a mask taking my dog for a walk, when there is not another soul in sight (but there are CCTV cameras...) just makes me feel like an idiot, at least it's not endangering my health. 

Perhaps one might reflect on the oft-quoted passage from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s  letter from the Birmingham jail....

Chiang Mai had 89 "cases" yesterday (reported today). I have no information regarding how many if any were symptomatic, ill or asymptomatic. This information, virtually always lacking in (sensational) news reports, is very germane. 

Again, I have to wonder, is the "covid zero" aim worth pursuing as an achievable goal? Is it sound reasoning to again lock down Chiang Mai simply because 89/1,764,000th of the population of the province tests positive for the virus in a day (that's 0.005% of all the people in the province)? Can we get that figure down to only four one-hundred thousandths of one percent? Probably. Let's hope so, for everyone's sake.

By the way, I know that some people are gleeful about the blanket mandate for masks, as for some, wearing a mask is the new hairshirt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Take that up with google. They put it there for me to quote.

Google locates things on the internet, it doesn't put articles about Aristotle on the internet.  Whoever posted  the article you quoted that referred to Aristotle as a scientist was wrong. 

Edited by heybruce

>>> Yup - don't adhere and you are branded a lunatic, conspiracy theorist, or just plain crazy.

Conspiracies can sometimes be dangerous. On craigslist, a guy posted that he believed the vaccines will kill him and then he said he threatened to commit suicide.

8 hours ago, covidiot said:

Conspiracies can sometimes be dangerous. On craigslist, a guy posted that he believed the vaccines will kill him and then he said he threatened to commit suicide.

The addictive drug of conspiracy theories offer black-and-white certainty to weak minds, offer convenient scapegoats for off-loading fear, self-loathing, during times of crisis.

And, attract people who are angry, lack self-control, and want/need to threaten whatever.

To the extent you pay attention to the theories and those who get off proclaiming them, you are wasting precious bandwidth/time ... unless, of course, those demagogic actors directly threaten you, or interfere with you.

If I truly believe this, why am I here, voting on posts, and writing this ? ???? ... I'll have to get back to you on that.

~o:37;

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Something I came up with - try to lighten the mood.

Sung to the melody of Hey Joe - Thanks Jimi

Hey Schmo - where you going with that Mask on your face

Hey Schmo - where you going with that Mask on your face

I'm going down to get myself Jabbed

'Cause I heard it was good from another man

I'm going down to get myself jabbed

'Cause I heard it was good from another man

Hey Schmo - I heard you Jabbed your Woman down, Jabbed her down in the ground

Hey Schmo - where you gonna run to now ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1